Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

studs!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default studs!

well, on my rear drivers side hub, all my studs snapped off for some reason, well i was wondering how hard it was to replace the studs, and if there is a how to somewhere, or if someone can help me out... thanks
Old 08-09-2007, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not difficult, just time consuming. Pull the rear cover off, pull out the little 6mm bolt that holds the large silver dowel pin in. Push the dowel pin in a little bit, spin the axle 180 degrees and then pull the dowl pin out. Then just push the axle in as far as it will go, pull off the c-clip and then remove the axle.

Marty
Old 08-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Default stud replacement

You do not even need to pull the axles... Just remove the tire and drum. Take a metal drift a bit smaller than the stud. put it on the broken stud and hit it with a 2-3 pound sledge. they will pop right out. Now take the need stud a put it in the hole from the back side of the flange. take a older lug nut and a washer will help . if you have a impact life will be easy. If not, this could take some doing...lol. The Nut will pull the stud through the axle flange hole straight and true. Tip: deep well socket too. Use a old lug nut for it may be junk by the time you do 5 lugs this way. If this is not for you then remove the axle and hammer them out and in and reinstall the axle again. Giid Luck.

Fluid probably could use a good changing anyway...lol. Jim
Old 08-11-2007, 07:09 AM
Closed Sponsor Account

PART I:
Studs CANNOT be removed PROPERLY without removing the exciter rings....unless of course you want to run the risk of damaging the ring teeth, then by all means just hammer em out (NOT RECOMMENDED)

I just installed longer ARP studs so I could fit my new 15x10 weld wheels (I am plannin on throwing the 10 bolt in a lake just as soon as my 9" comes BTW)

You have to remove the axles, that is for sure...you cannot do that until you remove the rear diff cover, remove the block that holds the c clips which hold the axles in place. You can't get the c clips out without removing the small sensors that are attatched to your backing plates which read the exciter ring (small magnetic sensors held on by a 10mm bolt)...remove those and the axles will slide in enough for you to remove the c clip...

PART II:
Go to a shop with a 20 ton press tall enough to fit an axle in it and have the exciter rings removed from the end of the axle using the appropriate jig that fits around the ring. Either press or hamer the stock studs out, and press or hammer the new studs in...make sure they go in straight!

Press the exciter rings back on, reinstall axels, fill diff, drive away happy!

I just did this on my car at the shop yesterday so it is fresh in my mind.
Good luck
Old 08-11-2007, 05:31 PM
9 Second Club

what studs did you buy?... how long... 2.5 or 3.25 inches?
Old 08-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Closed Sponsor Account

3.25 ARP studs...very NICE items..but $$