Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

12 bolt problem with torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007 | 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Default 12 bolt problem with torque arm

I talked to the mechanic who is installing my rear end today, and he said, "the bolt holes for the torque arm on the 12 bolt are staggered and the torque bar won't fit because it goes straight back?"

Anyone know what he is talking about? He's going to call Moser Monday, but I was wondering if any of you ran into this.
Old 08-19-2007 | 11:51 AM
12 Second Club

where the arm bolts is 1-2 inches towards the drivers side, it still bolts rite
up and works fine, just is at a slight angle from the trans now
Old 08-19-2007 | 06:09 PM
Dex
TECH Regular

I believe 12 bolt takes a different torque arm then a 10 bolt and 9". 4 short bolts compared to 2 long bolts.
Old 08-19-2007 | 06:33 PM
10 Second Club

depends on the TA
most TA's have two sets of holes. You need to cut the outer set off so the arm will move over enough to use the inners
Old 08-19-2007 | 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Some people have to do some grinding to the torque arm a little to get it to fit properly. Also make sure the mechanic is not using the factory bolts. Moser 12 bolts take 4 smaller bolts which should have been supplied with the 12 bolt.
Old 08-20-2007 | 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

Well the mechanic described it as coming from the front of the car along the driveshaft so maybe he meant the torsion bar?

Maybe the stock one was taken out because there was a custom 8.8 rear in the car when I bought it.
Old 08-20-2007 | 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Proximo
Well the mechanic described it as coming from the front of the car along the driveshaft so maybe he meant the torsion bar?

Maybe the stock one was taken out because there was a custom 8.8 rear in the car when I bought it.
The only thing there is the torque arm... No torsion bar. Those are on IFS applications usually.

The strange 12bolt rears dont require modification to the torque arms usually. Its the mosers that need to be messed with. My strange 12bolt fit the stock and aftermarket torque arms just fine.

Seems like you have a moser...since your mechinic was calling them. What the other guys said about needing to use the different set of holes is accurate. What kind of torque arm are you using?

J.
Old 08-20-2007 | 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

My stock and UMI torque arm bolted right up to my moser 12 bolt.
Old 08-20-2007 | 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
The only thing there is the torque arm... No torsion bar. Those are on IFS applications usually.

The strange 12bolt rears dont require modification to the torque arms usually. Its the mosers that need to be messed with. My strange 12bolt fit the stock and aftermarket torque arms just fine.

Seems like you have a moser...since your mechinic was calling them. What the other guys said about needing to use the different set of holes is accurate. What kind of torque arm are you using?

J.
Yeah, I should have mentioned that it is a moser 12 bolt.

I don't think the problem is with the torque arm now because that apparently isn't the problem.

Okay these people can NOT get the name of this part correct so I'll describe what they said.

"It is a rail that runs along the driveshaft from the transmission and bolts to the rear end."

Last edited by Proximo; 08-20-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-20-2007 | 08:45 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

It turns out the rear that was in the car that was getting swapped out was a Ford 8.8, which is why the torque arm was not bolting back up. Bob
Old 08-20-2007 | 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats the torque arm.... Not a torsion bar. A torque arm, simply put, controls the rotation of the pumpkin due to torque. A torsion bar is a bar that is usually twisted or preloaded and takes the place of coil springs on independent suspension set ups.

The only part that runs from the trans to the rear on an f-body, besides the driveshaft, is the torque arm. Unless you car has some aftermarket parts that are usually found on our cars. Cant imagine what it would be though.

Your mechanic SHOULDNT have much issue getting around the fitment issue. Most of the parts should work together. However...Moser rears usually have different parts for things like torque arms, lower control arm relocation brackets, and a few other things. For instance, on Spohn's website, he sometimes will say order part number xxxx for 10 bolt and strange 12 bolt, and yyyy for moser 12 bolt.

J.

EDIT: Well the post above mine sure clears it up!! haha. That would present a bit of an issue!