Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Changing syncro's

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing syncro's

has anybody tore down one of these 6 speed's yet to change the syncro's, I need to do so and was wondering how diff it is?
Old 06-01-2003, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Changing syncro's

The most critical tools are a GOOD pair of large snap ring pliers, and access to a press with a bearing splitter. Everything else is regular hand tools. I can't emphasize enough how important good snap ring pliers are. Small cheap ones will cause you to pull your hair out. Trust me.

It's not hard at all. Could be done, with no prior experience, in a couple days. Contact D&D Performance at http://www.ddperformance.com - they have manuals and all the parts. I used the factory manual from my '94Z to rebuild my '98s transmission, there were only a couple of very minor differences.

If you're having synchro problems, take a real hard look at your slider gears also. They should have decently sharp straight edges on them. If they're chewed or nudged to the side, you'll need to replace sliders too... And at $150 each, they're not cheap. (the 1-2 and 3-4 sliders take a lot of abuse, the 5-6 is usually OK). I replaced my synchros, the 1-2 slider, and second gear when I rebuilt mine (I fragged the small engagement teeth on second gear).

-Andrew