Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9" - Brand NEW and NOISY!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 10:19 AM
9 Second Club

Received 277 Likes on 105 Posts

Default Moser 9" - Brand NEW and NOISY!

Wanted to pass along this info. I guess you could say I am not really too happy. Not slamming anyone..... but just putting this info out there.

Installed a NEW Moser 9" complete with Detroit True Trac and 3.70 gear into my 2000 Camaro SS. Followed the break in procedure to a T. Ran 2-3 minutes unloaded on the lift and let cool overnight. Drove the car for 10 miles the next day at varying speeds (accel and decel) and let cool overnight.

There is pronounced gear whine on decel. Short of it, gears are not set-up correctly.

You would think that if your business was to set-up ring and pinions all day everyday you could get this right.

My buddies Strange rear end is quiet as a mouse.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Threads like this keep scaring me about buying one. Where'd you get the rear? I hope you can get someone to set the gears correctly and quiet it down, let us know how it turns out!
Old 09-20-2007, 01:23 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

no noise here... I did my own!
www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781110

unfortunately, most of the bigger companies are just pushing parts out the door to make the buck and don't really look at the quality of what goes out the door. just collect the money and worry about the customer later.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If u could post where u got this rear from so we can decifer whether or not its a common problem with that company/sponsor. Also because I am in the need for a 9inch and would help my decision from where to buy from. Good luck with sorting out the problem.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:34 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a Moser 9 inch, which probably was dropped shipped to him from Moser. We installed a set of 3.73 Richmond gears into the APS Firehawk that we built last week, we set the gears up correctly, etc. The car had gear noise for two days then it went away. The customer said the gears are quieter than the 4.10 gears we had removed from his 12 bolt. I'd give the gears a week to break in and see if they quiet down. Bob
Old 09-20-2007, 10:19 PM
9 Second Club

Default Rear gear noise

I drove the car for another 20 miles tonight at highway speeds. The gear noise is still there, I would be really shocked if it goes away with more driving, but I will continue to put some miles on it.

Tomorrow is my scheduled dyno time, that probably won't be easy on the rear. I am under the impression that this early in the game the gears could be re-setup and saved.

Anyone know how many miles could be put on a set of gears before they won't set-up again in another location without noise? I have heard mixed opinions. All of this is assuming it is the set-up and not the gear itself. Two local drivetrain shops I work with did not hesitate to say it was the set-up when I mentioned gear whine on decel. I have some pretty strong faith in these guys as I have used them in the past.

Whatever it is, it is not what I expected from a professional shop (Moser). I would have had a 50% shot of setting them up myself to get them this quiet and I don't build rear ends or profess to be an expert, at least at gear set-ups, which is why I bought it from someone who I expected to be.

After the tuning is done tomorrow night I will drive it some more, Saturday and Sunday, and try to get a couple hundred miles on it. If it is still noisy, I am pulling the chunk Monday and going to paint it up and see what it shows.

I bought the rear from a reputable vendor, that isn't a worry for me. Moser's QC is what bothers me. I kick myself for not painting the gears and checking the pattern the whole time I sat on the rear before installing it. The thought crossed my mind but I didn't take the time.

Last edited by helicoil; 09-20-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:25 PM
9 Second Club

Default Noisy Moser 9"

Originally Posted by ssvert99

unfortunately, most of the bigger companies are just pushing parts out the door to make the buck and don't really look at the quality of what goes out the door. just collect the money and worry about the customer later.

I have to tell you that this thought has crossed my mind too. What pisses me off most is I know better. I took the path of least ressitance on this one and it looks like it may bite me. The only part on the car I didn't do myself and it turns out to be my only problem.

I was hoping to do a little racing at the track next week too.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:39 PM
9 Second Club

Default fab rear

Originally Posted by ssvert99

BTW, just looked at your thread, nice job! I had inquire about the M9 from Moser awhile ago, I though the Fab 9 look inthe F-body would have been ****. I too run them in my race car. Although I didn't make them.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:17 PM
10 Second Club

That really does suck man! A buddy of mine had the same issues as well. Mosers customer service seems to suck as bad as their setup. I hope everything works out for you.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Moser 9" - Brand NEW and NOISY!
Shocking.

I will kinda side with Bob on this one. Give it a few days and a few more heat cycles... and then change the oil to an 85-140wt (or thereabouts) before you go and beat it up on a dyno.

As for how many miles you can put on a diff before it work hardens the pattern (and noise) into it... I would say that number is 200-250 miles and under.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Check your pinion bearings preload. Mine were not loaded enough and bearings were loose (It changes gear mesh and can cause whine). I had to grind the solid spacer between the bearings to get it right (15-20 in.pound). It cured the whine for me

SSDION
Old 09-21-2007, 09:39 AM
10 Second Club

I had a local shop set mine up four times. A friend and I saw the pattern each time and it looked fine. The noise is still there. He made it a little quieter. It's a Strange S case, Tru-trac, 3.89's. I guess it's just a noisy set of gears? Well I hope it is. I don't want it to destroy itself.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by WS6 SRT-8
I had a local shop set mine up four times. A friend and I saw the pattern each time and it looked fine. The noise is still there. He made it a little quieter. It's a Strange S case, Tru-trac, 3.89's. I guess it's just a noisy set of gears? Well I hope it is. I don't want it to destroy itself.

Great, that is what I just ordered, I hope mine doesn't make a lot of noise.

Wish me luck.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:53 AM
10 Second Club

I have the Moser 9" and yes it sounds like a laser gun when I let off and its fine and doesnt bother me. Richmond gears are known for whining...
Old 09-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Running Moser 9" with 4.10s & truetrac. It's been in for a few months and there's a slight whine on decel but otherwise I can't hear the gears. The whine is low enough that if I'm listening to music I can't hear it at all.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:11 PM
9 Second Club

Default Rear end noise

Originally Posted by CAMARO_THUNDER
I have the Moser 9" and yes it sounds like a laser gun when I let off and its fine and doesnt bother me. Richmond gears are known for whining...
What does a laser gun sound like?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just fart against a wooden chair, see sounds like your rear end! No just kidding man, good luck and i hope it comes out right. It might give you some peace of mind to just inspect it yourself and just give it some time before you head to the dyno. Dunno, just hope it gets fixed for you man.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Billiumss
Great, that is what I just ordered, I hope mine doesn't make a lot of noise.

Wish me luck.

I don't dropship my center sections from Moser, I hand build everything in house with my own hands...
Old 09-23-2007, 07:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Scott@DrivelineSolutions
I don't dropship my center sections from Moser, I hand build everything in house with my own hands...

I know you do but other vendors drop ship, Moser build rep isn't always the greatest.

I Can't wait to get my new 9", not driving my car is driving me nuts, good weather is almost done.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

MY moser 9 whines bad. I took it appart and checked the pattern and it wasn't
even close. I had to add .009 shim to correct it but its too late,the gears
are junk!!!! thats what I get for not checking it myself. I asumed that
moser has set up gears before so I just put it in.

Quick Reply: Moser 9" - Brand NEW and NOISY!