Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear and Tranny Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 12:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear and Tranny Fluid?

Ok, should I do Mobil 1, Redline, or Royal Purple in the rear? And, i've heard that it's not good to put synthetic in the tranny, cause it eats away the syncros cause they're paper or something like that, is that true? If it is true, what would be the best regular fluid to put in it, if it's not true, what's the best synthetic fluid to put in it? Thanks a lot guys, i'm gonna be changing the fluids in a week or two when I get back from NY.

Also, how many bottles of fluid do I need for the rear, and how many bottles do I need for the tranny? And do I need any limited slip additive for the rear?
Old 12-24-2002, 07:19 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Default Re: Rear and Tranny Fluid?

I use Mobil 1 75W-90 and the GM additive for the rear. Capacity is roughly 1 3/4 qts. Get the car level or park on level ground and add fluid through fill plug until it starts weeping back out. When it stops, reinstall plug. I like to teflon tape wrap the fill plug as I've had it leak before.
BTW, some like to use RTV to seal the rear cover, I just use the gasket.
Don't remember what the M6 guys use for trans fluid.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

I used Redline rear fluid with the GM additive.
Old 12-25-2002, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

I used Amsoil synthetic ATF and Series 2000 75w90 synthetic rear end fluid. You don't need limited slip additive with the Amsoil or red line rearend oil. Amsoil warranties their product. Once you put their oil in your trans and rear its a life time fill, never have to change it again. If their product fails your covered on their warranty.

hope that helps

If have questions about Amsoil products go to amsoil.com to do your own research. Also when you change your rearend fluid you'll need some razors.
Old 12-25-2002, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

All Yeah as far as the amount of oil needed, here it goes:

Trans: 4 quarts
Rearend: 1.7 quarts

Hope that helps
Old 12-25-2002, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Last thing as far as the rearend goes, I would use RTF with the rearend gasket to make sure it don't leak. I wouldn't just use the gasket. My Dodge Durango doesn't use gaskets, it just uses RTF or RTV gasket maker

Hope that helps
Old 12-25-2002, 03:14 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by tmgxray:
<strong>Last thing as far as the rearend goes, I would use RTF with the rearend gasket to make sure it don't leak. I wouldn't just use the gasket. My Dodge Durango doesn't use gaskets, it just uses RTF or RTV gasket maker

Hope that helps</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Man I hate that stuff. Makes it a pain the second time around. You have to clean all that stuff off nicely. I wonder if they make some nice copper gaskets for 10 bolts. I found one for my trans pan. It's really nice cause it doesnt stick and it's reusable.
Old 12-25-2002, 04:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks a lot guys, you helped a lot!!!