Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Posi-traction burned out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 08:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Posi-traction burned out?

I backed down my steep drive way and the right rear wheel came off the driveway into a flower bed. I put the car into 1st gear and tried to move forward.

The right rear wheel spun but I did not get any traction from the left rear; the left rear did not move.

Car is a 99 Camaro SS with the factory 10 bolt.

Is the 10 bolt posi burned out?l
Old 10-11-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

is it a torsen or an auburn?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Veteran

..not sure it has traction control in rear.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

jack the back of the car up so that both wheels are off the ground, with the car in park (or in gear) spin the drivers side side wheel, if the passenger wheel spins the opposite direction its a torsen. If the wheels wont spin in park take the car out of gear and spin the drivers side wheel, you will see that the passenger side wheel spins the same direction, that is an auburn

If its an Auburn you may want to change the fluid to regular GL5 or better conventional gear lube with the limited slip additive, some people put synthetic in auburns and they wont grip both wheels

if its a torsen it may have been that there was just no traction at all on the other wheel, on a torque biasing differential there must be some traction available for both wheels to work