Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Liberty Pro-shift..what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Liberty Pro-shift..what do you think?

I tore up my trans at the N vs. S event. I took my trans up to Liberty and I'm having them go though it. I have decided to get it Pro-shifted, but can't decide on whether to get just 3rd & 4th done, or go ***** to the wall and get 2nd-4th done. I still drive the car on the alot street (nice days of course!). I talked to Craig and he said it isn't that bad to drive on the street, just have to get used to it. You can still downshift, but you have to match the rpm's with the speed to do it. But from what I've heard it's just amazing on how much faster you can shift! And it costs $429 to pro-shift vs. about $900 or more to rebuild to stock. Just looking for some opinions from you guys. Ohh yeah... my definition of streetable- Who cares...as long as it's legal!
Old 06-11-2003, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Liberty Pro-shift..what do you think?

I'd love to see how it works for a T-56. The stang guys have done well with Pro shifted T-5's for years.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:08 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll get a Doug Nash or G-Force instead. Of course everyone will bitch and moan and raise holy hell.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am not sure about the liberty shifted versus the regular liberty. So please bare with me on this.

I had a liberty 5 speed about to go in the camaro and when I sat down with a few racer freinds we decided against it reasoning that I did not want to hold the shifter while not on the gas (with a lib 5 you have to hold it in gear if you are not on the throttle or it will pop out.

Just my .02 but I am sticking with my th400 in the camaoro until I figure a more enjoyable manual transmission choice.

If you do it keep us informed please would like to hear how it comes out in the end.
Steven
Old 06-12-2003, 11:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say get 1-4 Pro-shifted. That should be a bullet-proof tranny. You will just have to learn how to double clutch real well. If you had the $$$$ the Dog-Toothed-Straight-Gear G-Force version of the T56 they are supposed to be working on would be even tougher, but for the money I'd say get it Pro Shifted!
Old 06-12-2003, 12:49 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

CAn someone explain to me what pro shifted is?
Old 06-12-2003, 03:27 PM
TECH Veteran

CAn someone explain to me what pro shifted is?
They remove the blocker-rings/synchronizers and weld on steel dog-tooth like collars . I think in the Mustang T-5 they also reduce the number of teeth on each gear by 50%, therefore guranteeing faster, positive shifts. But becouse they no longer have synchronizers, you cannot just down shift.....you MUST double clutch it .
Old 06-12-2003, 03:47 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

oh....ok gotcha
Old 06-13-2003, 06:50 AM
dug
Banned

Its about time somebody proshift a M6.

Is it popular with LT1 f-bodies?
Old 06-13-2003, 09:50 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys! I'm going to just go ahead and get 2nd-4th Pro-shifted. I don't think it's going to be that bad driving on the street, once you learn the ratio of matching the RPM's with the speed. You just have to stop downshifting when coming to a red light. But I think that it will be worth it, especially for H/C and solid roller cars where you are shifting alot higher. The synchro's just can't keep up when shifting at 6900+ RPM's. Should be fun! The trans should be done next week, and I will be installing a Ram clutch with it. Went with the 402PP and the 910 sintered iron disc. I was told that I would chew through the 6000 disc because of the car being Pro-shifted. I'll let you guys know how it goes! Hopefully like this->
Old 06-13-2003, 11:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Cool. Can't wait to hear what you think of this.
Just out of curiosity, what spline axles are you using with that Detroit Locker in your 9 inch rear?
Good luck with the tranny .
Old 06-13-2003, 12:25 PM
Launching!

I have 31 splines. I'll keep you posted!
Old 06-16-2003, 05:37 PM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1BADWS6,

I had one of these trans. It did not work out for me. I am a hard core drag racer and when I had to rebuild it only after 6 miles on the car and dyno time only. I was very concerned. Then, I put it back in the hot rod and headed to the track on the 10th pass with the car it kicked out of 3rd gear and blow up my brand new motor. Needless to say I was not happy.

I have now put in a turbo 350 and a 4800 stall convertor. I loved having a M6 bracket racing. Hell, I was always the only one racing a M6. I did pretty good but after the Liberty trans fiasco I had to chage to the atuo.

Please be careful with this trans. I can not see how it can be very streetable. There is a very big clank when you put into gear and I had to come to a complete stop to get it back into 1st gear.

I wish you the best of luck.

Coach

PS. Were you at the Thunder race last year? I was parked next to some guys from STENOD RACING. I think? Maybe not.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:34 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Coach, Kevin's car was the white formula with the Stenod Racing sticker. It was also the one that fragged the u-joint and torque arm in that simultaneous launch right in front of us during eliminations.

Quick Reply: Liberty Pro-shift..what do you think?