Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

electronic diff??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default electronic diff??????

I just purchased a 2000 Trans Am. It has a Ford 9 inch with 35 spline axels... it currently has a spool. A friend of mine told me that there is a differential where you can switch from limited slip to locker (for the track etc) where can i find one that fits my rear end? thanks
Old 10-30-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like he is talking about an e-locker. Works like an air locker, or a cable operated locker, except there is an elec. solenoid that activates it.

Im pretty sure that it goes from "spool" type operation when activated, to a regular open rear when de-activated. Actually...I seem to remember some of them worknig like a posi when not activated. But you just gotta look into it. They are mainly used in 4x4 applications...but they usually have car listings too.

Eaton and auburn both make electric lockers I believe. Try google...type in "electric locker" and you'll get all the info you need on them.

J.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:32 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is an air locker made by ARB. This unit is very expensive to purchase and very time consuming to install. You will also need an air pump as well also supplied by ARB. They are very strong units for offroad applications. Most offroad guys install them in the front axle so they can flip a switch and go rock crawling. Not to mention they also have a source of air if needed on the trail.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an ARB in my jeep...in the rear. I would have one in the front, but I havent decided on what axle I wanna end up with yet. They arent difficult to install really. I put mine in when I re-geared my dana 44. No different then setting up a regular carrier. Most full carrier lockers come with little formulas you use to install them so you dont need to do a full set up.

He is talking about something electric though. E-lockers are great, because all you need to do is run a switch and a couple wires. No air lines, no pumps, just a switch.

Like I said..just do a search, read up on them. You'll find some guys with cars running them. If they are good enough to use on the trail in 4-low (lots of tq), they are good enough to handle the street/strip use.

J.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

apparently the Eaton E-locker is not offered for the Ford 9"