Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

12 Bolt Pinion Bearing P/N's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 12 Bolt Pinion Bearing P/N's?

I'm going to setup a new set of gears and wanted to double check the P/N's for the pinon bearings.

I've got

Front Pinion M88010
Rear Pinion M802048

I'm trying to buy them locally due to time. I HOPE Strange used a solid collar.

are there slip fit units out there? For mock up purposes.

Thanks
Old 11-02-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NAPA re-boxes TIMKEN for the "NAPA" brand itself... for a fair price.

Doubt that Strange used a solid spacer, unless you specified it for the build.

Mock-up bearings... ?? Sure are, part number PINSU5 : http://www.precisiongear.com/setupkits.htm
Old 11-02-2007, 09:37 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks Chicane, I was hoping you would chime in.

I ran a google search for the P/N's I cited above and there are a lot of apps., but on that same note they are referenced a lot as a Timken P/N's. I got those P/N's off of Strange's website.

Thanks for the link!! PINSU5 is for a GM 10bolt though, I think I need the PINSU2 which is for a GM 12 bolt but noted for a truck. Same difference?

I made some mock up bearings for my 10 bolt, and it saved A LOT of time and allowed me to play with settings and get a better feel for setting up gears. I can't say I like doing them, but it does make the effort a bit less painless and saves me $300-$500.

I'm going to need a shim kit and I guess I'll order a solid collar while I'm at it. With the mock up bearings that'll be all I need I think.

A couple of concerns, please let me know your thoughts.

The current bearing set has some miles on them, not much but A LOT of hard passes. How concerned should I be between the difference in play from the mock up and current used bearings? How much can it compromise my pattern? Even .002 shim on the pinion could adjust things significantly from what I saw with my experimenting.

Also, what's the "fit" on these bearings (if you happen to know)? .0005? I know .001 is just about standard for a "slip" fit, but when you're working with out to a thousands I would imagine the slip to be a bit tighter, order of ten thou?
Old 11-02-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool...

I actually got that Percision number off of their site. I am guessing its either a type-o or... I dont know... http://www.precisiongear.com/gm878c.htm The 12 bolt truck bearing kit is a totally different monkey. The inner pinion bearing is the difference.

I doubt that their is going to be any change in your depth requirements due to the bearings being 'used'. But yeah... 0.002 can make a difference in final set-up.

I couldnt tell you what the slip fit would be as each manufacturer's finish is different and, in the end of it all, it could be as much as 0.0009-0.002 because of finishing differences.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:46 PM
11 Second Club

...understood

I see from the site the car and truck pinion shaft dia. are different.

1.438" (truck)
1.625" (car)

Kinda ironic the diameter is bigger on the car 12 bolt. Also funny the mock up kit is the same P/N.

I'll give those guys a call and see what the deal is.

You've been a big help, your input has been greatly appreciated.

Frank

Quick Reply: 12 Bolt Pinion Bearing P/N's?