Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Midwest Chassis & Performance fab rearends... new pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ssvert99
your rearend has been done for quite sometime now, but the hold up is the brand new driveshaft loops that we haven't even released to others yet. the first ones are done now for the few people that were on backorder and will be shipping sometime this week. you would have had the rearend well before now if you were in the lower 48.
That's GREAT news. Can't wait to get mine on and hit the track
Old 03-30-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DiabloFormula
I put about 5 good heat cycles on mine after i put the new richmond gears in, which was after I put 500 miles on the rear itself.......

About 25 6K RPM launches on a tru-trac at the track and never looked back....these rears are a beast.
Nice to hear the tru trac is handling the abuse!! I run the tru trac with 700 rwhp so far so good.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

whelp another negative.

so all of my 1/2-20 wheel studs were bent, turns out they had all come loose (screw in studs), i nearly trashed an axle trying to replace them. others may not be ''lucky'' if this is what I was.

how about we get some threadlocker on these studs or even torqe them to spec for future customers?

oh and dont bother returning the urgent call / message i put in to you was it 5 or 6 days ago?
Old 04-14-2009, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

o boy, i dont like to hear things like this! how many miles/ runs before this happened? were you happy with the quality before this?
Old 04-14-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
whelp another negative.

so all of my 1/2-20 wheel studs were bent, turns out they had all come loose (screw in studs), i nearly trashed an axle trying to replace them. others may not be ''lucky'' if this is what I was.

how about we get some threadlocker on these studs or even torqe them to spec for future customers?

oh and dont bother returning the urgent call / message i put in to you was it 5 or 6 days ago?
Wouldnt this be the fault of Moser? The Moser axles I got for my MWC9" were drop shipped direct from Moser.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:00 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ correct. 90% of the rearends we do are shipped in pieces, axles drop shipped direct from Moser or Strange. another 90% of them have the press-in metric studs. wheel studs are one of the things i go over when taking an order to ensure the customer gets the correct application.

MM's application was a drop ship from Moser and had the bearings and studs included. these were a lightened set of 35 spline axles and 1/2 inch screw in studs.

anyone doing their own assembly is responsible for the correct installation of the parts included in these rearend packages... all the way down to the wheel studs. wheel studs are to be presssed in if a knurled head type, and threaded in type will require the proper install torque, proper under-head washers(if needed), and the use of red Locktight compound. over the course of the countless rearends we have sold, I have changed some of the small details of the parts and such. one of these areas is the wheel studs. I now supply the wheels studs and axle bearings instead of the axle manufacturer. i control the application, quality, and brand of the components. I also do not recommend any use of a "lock washer" in a screw-in wheel stud application.

I do offer completely assembled rearends for 80.00 shop labor fee... probably less than someone would pay an installer just to press axle bearings on.

one thing about wheel studs/lug nuts... it is extremely important to use the correct wheel stud, the correct lug nut, and the correct fastener torque on these parts. the cheapest parts(i.e. Gorilla vs. McGard lugs) will almost always yield the poorest performance. last thing... KEEP YOUR LUGS TIGHT!!!
Old 04-15-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

I have been told that there are issues with your torque arm clearing the gas tank on a lowered f-body, is that true? If so, at what point does it become an issue, 1",1.5",1.75"? I am in the market, but dont want to run stock height.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Junkie

I am running the midwest and my ride is lowered 1.5 inches maybe a little more in the front with my coilovers. Clearance is not an issue.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 52172
I am running the midwest and my ride is lowered 1.5 inches maybe a little more in the front with my coilovers. Clearance is not an issue.

Thanks for the feedback. I went through alot of other posts and didnt ever see anyone say it was an issue. Wanted to be sure though.

Thanks
Old 04-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Teching In

So how much for just a bare housing? Just the torque arm setup? Limited on funds and was going to try to get it a piece at a time..
Old 04-15-2009, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone have an installation guide for assembling the rearend. My installer is looking for some torque specs and bearing install options. I emailed Erik but no luck. Any instructions out there.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sf35thle
Does anyone have an installation guide for assembling the rearend. My installer is looking for some torque specs and bearing install options. I emailed Erik but no luck. Any instructions out there.
Just call him. He answers the phone 4 out of 5 times.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mehoffz24
o boy, i dont like to hear things like this! how many miles/ runs before this happened? were you happy with the quality before this?
the rear has taken significant abuse, this was a total surprise and scared me, it was a good thing i changed back tires or i would not have noticed and possibly had them break. further review of my particular rear is found in pages ahead of this one.

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Wouldnt this be the fault of Moser? The Moser axles I got for my MWC9" were drop shipped direct from Moser.
mostly, but regardless its midwest who got my money so its his problem to satisfy me

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
I have been told that there are issues with your torque arm clearing the gas tank on a lowered f-body, is that true? If so, at what point does it become an issue, 1",1.5",1.75"? I am in the market, but dont want to run stock height.
my rear hits the gas tank, i put airbags in my springs to keep it from happening again (hopefully) i have a factory metal tank, car is fairly low i guess.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Just call him. He answers the phone 4 out of 5 times.
I tried bud but no luck, I need help on this asap.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE

my rear hits the gas tank, i put airbags in my springs to keep it from happening again (hopefully) i have a factory metal tank, car is fairly low i guess.
So it is a potential issue. Would certainly be good to either change the rear geometry of the TA to gain 1/2" or whatever the safe, but minor number would be.

Midwest, could you please address this issue?
Old 04-15-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car is lowered on stranos and has no issues, is was lowered on Eibachs and was much lowere and in neither case did I have any issues with it hitting.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Launching!

Another lowered car with no gas tank issues.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Would a Sam Strano Feyes Watts link and no panhard bar (because of the watts link) work with this 9"? I know they work with regular 9"s but heard some of these fabbed up ones can have issues.

Just wondering as im getting my 9 inch and watts link soon, watts link is a must, now just trying to decide on the rear. I wanna go as light but as strong as I can, will be using a tru trac and 4.10s/4.11s.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SimRacer1
Would a Sam Strano Feyes Watts link and no panhard bar (because of the watts link) work with this 9"? I know they work with regular 9"s but heard some of these fabbed up ones can have issues.

Just wondering as im getting my 9 inch and watts link soon, watts link is a must, now just trying to decide on the rear. I wanna go as light but as strong as I can, will be using a tru trac and 4.10s/4.11s.
Ive wondered that myself because a watts link with this rear would be a sweet setup. I know eric could fab up the proper brackets I think the only issue though would be weather the rear of the housing is too big and would hit the watts link. Id like to see it work for sure though!

In fact if I could bolt on the watts link or even weld the mounts in place and have it work I would buy one for sure.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:54 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

gas tank clearance should never be an issue. if anything it would be the top of the torque arm mount contacting the rear seatback area body brace. you would have to be lowered 1.5 or more to even be close. this setup has the best clearances of any 9 inch out there.

i am working on a Watts link that will be available with my rearends. I already have customers with orders for it but it has not been advertised yet. the bracket/brace assy will bolt on to the chassis in place of the phb, and the rearend mounts will be available installed from us at the time of build. a universal will be available soon as well for the stock type rears. pricing will be in the 500 range.

Quick Reply: Midwest Chassis & Performance fab rearends... new pics