Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rotational TQ for 9" pinion?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 05:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default rotational TQ for 9" pinion?

I'm having a little trouble with setting this thing up. I've got it either under 5 inch pounds or right around 25-30inch lbs of rotation tq. Cant seem to get it in between. Everthing is new as far as bearings and gears. I'm thinking a little tight (25-30" lbs) will loosen up after awhile. But im afraid it might burn a bearing up. WHat should i do?
Old 01-24-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sroka
I'm having a little trouble with setting this thing up. I've got it either under 5 inch pounds or right around 25-30inch lbs of rotation tq. Cant seem to get it in between. Everthing is new as far as bearings and gears. I'm thinking a little tight (25-30" lbs) will loosen up after awhile. But im afraid it might burn a bearing up. WHat should i do?
I have NEVER used one of those gauges like that. If the bearings are oiled and the pinion has a little load on it when you turn it...let it eat.

David
Old 01-24-2008, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

No you never have used a inch pound tq wrench when setting up pinion?
What do you consider "little load"?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

25-30 rolling inch pounds is fine for a new assembly.

Its actually more of a finesse' thing... but correctly measuring pinion preload with a bar type torque wrench can be somewhat difficult. You are really seeing the initial break away torque and from there... is when it becomes difficult to maintain any for of constant measure.

And... it will loosen up a little... but if its assembled correctly... it wont be very much. 25-30 inlbs is good if that number is with the bearings being pre lubed with a higher viscosity assembly grease.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sroka
No you never have used a inch pound tq wrench when setting up pinion?
What do you consider "little load"?
I just kinda know, I have built probably 100 8.8's in Mustangs, had my 9 inch down 3 times over the years for inspection and to install a new Nodular center section. You can kinda feel when the crush sleeve moves and the bearings start to load.

I was also a Dealership line tech for 12 years.

David