Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Pros and Cons, fbody rears

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros and Cons, fbody rears

lets see if we can get so pros and cons on my options to help me decide which would be best for me.

so if anybody actually has one of these rears I'm listing in there cars driving them on the street a bit, please help me out.

looks like I'm going to have to put up with some noise for reliability, as long as it don't sound like a sledge hammer coming through the floor or someones cutting cement in the hatch, I can deal with a little noise, I only drive the car about 50 - 100miles a week city drivin, and race it twice per year.
I had a 1978 malibu with a junkyard fabed 9 inch backyard ladder bar set up all solid mount with 4.10 gears, it made noises (gear and drivetrain) but the only thing I didn't like was, the car had no power steering, anyways on to the poll.

I called moser and the guy said he drove in the test car with the M9 in it and it has very loud drivetrain noise, he recomended the moser 9" bolt in, he claims the driveshaft runs true like my 10 bolt, the ride hieght is not effected, and it is a true bolt in, is this true?

the fab 9 from midwest looks like a great choice too, as well as the s60 from strange.

I have no abs or traction control, wieght is not an issue either, just turn up the juice or build a better motor. I want reliability. some noises are fine if there normal, as well as minor mods as long as it don't come apart at 120mph.
my car will probly never see more then 450 - 500 rwhp, with my a4 and 3000 stall

please post install problems, or noises ect.., anyone has run into.

thanks.
colin
Old 01-26-2008, 11:15 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I have run Moser 12 bolts and our fab 9. I like the Fab 9 the best. It is lighter than the 12 bolt and will not come apart. It has also been abused on some of the fastest cars in the country. Not one failure yet.

We can get any of the Moser products at good prices or build you the last rear end you will ever need or want.

Let me know if we can help.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:13 PM
LC2
Staging Lane

steve burger..... do you do any deer hunting out there on the farm..know some people who hunt that state.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

what does that have to do with rear end sugestions?
my drivetrain gets loud drivin in the bush too, what's it like on the street?
lets please get back on topic
Old 01-27-2008, 05:58 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Colin, with what you are looking for, I'd go with the Moser 9 inch.
My prices here include shipping. One customer did step by step installation instructions, which I have at the link here. Bob
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145
Old 01-27-2008, 07:26 AM
Staging Lane

thanks, bob
this looks like a good setup,
do you know if the sway bar is after market and mounts homemade or will moser weld these on, or if I made my own, would it be safe to weld them on myself?, and not worry about warping or damaging something inside.

also can you ship to canada, right across the boarder from Detroit, Michigan, Belle River, Ontario, Canada to be exact. I looked you up on yahoo map and it says about 4.5 hour drive for me to come pick it up myself.

colin

Last edited by straightleg; 01-27-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:39 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by straightleg
thanks, bob
do you know if the sway bar is after market and mounts homemade or will moser weld these on, or if I made my own, would it be safe to weld them on myself?, and not worry about warping or damaging something inside.

also can you ship to canada, right across the boarder from Detroit, Michigan, Belle River, Ontario, Canada to be exact. I looked you up on yahoo map and it says about 4.5 hour drive for me to come pick it up myself.

colin

The sway bar mounts can be added to any housing by Moser at the time of order. Shipping to Canada is no problem as well. Let me know if we can help you out.

Jeff
Old 01-29-2008, 04:20 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by straightleg
thanks, bob

colin

Moser has gone with the BMR Xtreme anti roll bar mounts as an $50.00 option, as the BMR Xtreme anti roll bar is one of the best ones on the market. If you wish to use your stock torque arm, then you can use three inch exhaust U Bolts to bolt the torque arm to the rear, or you can buy BMR sway bar brackets (shown here http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=166) or any other supplier, and weld them in place. You won't hurt the rear by welding the brackets in place.

We do indeed ship to Canada, that is not a problem. Thanks! Bob
Old 01-29-2008, 12:56 PM
10 Second Club

I have known of one guy with the s60. I don't know if it was a freak thing or not but I do know he always was having problems with that rear.

If you don't mind gear howl then I've always had 12 bolts but everyone i've had howls. I've found that royal purple gear lube is the best to stop limited slip chatter and howl but it still howls. I've tried everything from dumping jugs of gm limited slip additive to everyother thing you can imagine but both rears do the exact same thing.

I've heard nothing but great things about the midwest chasis setup but I have never actually seen one myself. But I do know of one person that had an s60 before the fab 9" and I think he is very happy he swapped for a 9"
Old 01-29-2008, 01:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I did not get a chance to hunt this year.

Back on topic. You can have a quiet 12 bolt if it is set up right. We can also get a Moser 9" that will work well for your application ro we can get you into one of our Fab 9 setups. The fab 0 setup will handle whatever you want to throw at it and can be outfitted with some nice features like tie downs for trailering, Wheelie bar brackets, and an anti roll bar. It also has built in LCA relocation brackets and can be used with a stock style sway bar.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems like most of the advice you are getting is coming from people that are heavy, heavy into drag racing. And that doesn't sound like your application.

I'm not gonna get into a pissing match about rear end design, but damn...any 9" rear, S60, and even the fabricated units are serious drag racing pieces. The fabricated units have the best chance of being pretty light weight, so if you are gonna go with a BIG rear, then by all means, that's the way I'd go. I had to make this choice too, and for my 99% street car that might see the track once or twice a year, I went with the Strange 12-bolt.

Sure, you'll read about all sorts of people on the internet having problems with them...I've had tons of problems with a lot of aftermarket stuff, regardless of the company or where it was being attached in the car. That is the name of the game when it comes to performance aftermarket parts...there is always the risk of getting a piece of hardware that was thrown together by a hung over employee on a Monday.

The Strange piece is nice quality, the welds all look nice, the brackets that hold the panhard rod, LCAs, and spring perches are all made from the factory molds and welded on straight (as a side benefit, bolt-in LCA relocation brackets will fit), and as it came out of its crate, it was a true bolt-in piece, ready to run, filled with oil and everything.

Now, here's the downside. They require you to send in your stock brake backing plates or purchase new ones that they will install at their factory...same goes for any reluctor wheels if you are planning on keeping ABS and/or TCS. That's what makes this unit a true bolt-in piece...they take all of your parts and press everything in place so you don't have to worry about it once it arrives. This also adds to their lead time - it took about 5-6 weeks before I had the rear in my hands, and it'll only be delivered truck freight collect (it cost me $70 coming off of a trailer with a lift gate).

I can't comment on gear noise, because it has only been run on jack stands to this date, and I haven't had time (or the good weather) to get it on the road. I'm not expecting it to be silent, but I also won't tolerate much noise. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

For my application, I wouldn't have done it any other way than the Strange 12-bolt. It honestly fits like it was supposed to have come that way from the factory, I **** you not. I had no issues at all putting it in.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I did mention that a 12 bolt could fit the bill. I beat the snot out of mine (Moser). 5 years, 2 sets of gears, one broken posi but other than that it took the abuse.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

I had my first moser 12 for 3 years and 40,000 miles and never had a problem internally and beat the heck out of it. That exact rear was in my '96 camaro and my '00 camaro. It did have gear whine and it was setup by moser. but it wasn't anything that I couldnt' deal with by any means. This rear that is in my Trans am now has even more gear whine than the other which I'll be looking into when funds and the weather become a little nicer. I see many more street miles than 1/4 mile passes so all my experience comes from the street. I bought my first moser 12 bolt for $2300 to my door 3 years ago and looking at that price now I would definately invest in the fab 9" from midwest.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

thanks again everyone for the great info. I'm not purchasing for about another month, but this info is definitely helping, in my decisions.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:35 AM
12 Second Club

give eric a call at midwest chassis his setup is hands down one of the best IMO and honestly im second guessing me buying the used moser housing 9 inch since I had to pour more money into it.

the midwest chassis fab 9 also comes w/ a torque arm .

Chad