Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ordered 3channel Moser setup and I have 4 channel options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered 3channel Moser setup and I have 4 channel options?

Hello all, first of all I was an idiot for ordering the wrong setup and admit to it. Now with that out of the way I have the following questions and I hope I'm not the only one that's done this.

What are the options available to me? What I did was order a Moser 12bolt setup for 3channel ABS and found out after receiving the rear that I have a 4 channel ABS setup. I called them about this and they said about my only options are that I will be without ABS if I keep it or I can send it back and pay an additional 600-700 dollars and have it set back up for a 4channel. Well due to the need to get the sucker inspected I have already put it in and it runs great, very quiet, etc. but my dashboard is lit up like an airplane cockpit cause I had to pull the ABS fuses to disable ABS since I don't have it anymore.

I'm concerned when I go to sell the car that the person buying it will not be keen on this so was wondering if there was a way to either setup my car for to be a 3 channel ABS car to get my ABS back or could a local shop do this for me so I wouldn't have to rip the whole rear back out and send back to Moser?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:13 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Ordered 3channel Moser setup and I have 4 channel options?

All you need is to put the reluctor wheels on the axles and plug up the hole on the top of the rear. Easy to plug the hole in the top of the rear with a stock 3 channel sensor. Since you have your old backing plates with the sensors thats not a problem. You will have to press the bearings off the axles and have the wheels pressed on. You will need to buy new axle bearings most likely since they usually get destroyed removing them. I would call moser and explain what happened and see what they would charge if you just sent then the axles back to take them apart and put the reluctor wheels on - maybe they can save the bearings. Its also possible that the axles are different where the wheel gets pressed on but I dont think so. Thats about it..
Old 07-11-2003, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ordered 3channel Moser setup and I have 4 channel options?

KP thanks so much for your response and you are bout right on the money with what I found out from them today. I guess the person I talked to before either didn't understand what I was trying to say or they just didn't know cause they had originally told me I would have to ship the whole rear back (maybe assuming I wanted to go from 4 channel to 3 channel). If there is anyone else out there that may have done this or has the chance to get a rear setup for 3 channel and wants to put it on 4 channel ABS setup.. This is what Moser told me to do and I will be doing.

1) Take back off the axles and have the bearings taken back off them at your local machine shop or if you have your own press do that yourself.

2) Send the axles back to Moser with a note telling them what happened, ie. I have a 3 channel ABS setup and want it setup for 4 channel ABS. You can either have your old Exiter rings taken off of your old stock axles and send that along with your new axles Moser back to them or have them put on new Exiter rings. They said the turnaround time is like 2 days once they receive.

I also asked about cost and they said that it would be about $175 for Exiter rework on the axles for them to machine the axles and put on the Exiter rings (not sure if this is with you returning your exiter rings or if this is for new ones included) Also for new Bearings which would probably get destroyed in removing them would be about $60 for the pair. Also, for the hole in the top of the rear they can send you a little metal plug free of charge to plug up the hole or as KP had suggested get a stock sensor to plug in there, since the little metal plug was free I had them send that originally but I don't like being without ABS and having my dashboard lit up like an airplane cockpit. Anyway hope this helps out someone else.

OH well guess I"m going to at least enjoy having the car back after being down for a couple of months before I do this since it's not urgent.. Need to get my inspection done before I get a nice little $250 fine from the state since my inspection went out in March LOL.