Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Who builds their own?..

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The durability of the stock third members Is more a matter of how you treat them. I have had decent luck with just stock case with a True Track diff in my 3400 lbs 55 Chevy leaving at 7400 rpm with slicks and no trouble. I do only have a 283 in the car however. I used the same setup with my 360 inch small block leaving at 4500 to 6000 depending on the track and event. I am not sugesting everyone else would share this experience however. Good parts bought the first time are almost allways the cheapest route in the long run. Buy the right stuff the first time, set the lash at .006 to .008 and use proper deapth for the pinon to have a nice pattern. 9" is easy to set up since the pinion deapth is set with a shim between the support and the housing rather than pressed on the pinoin like most GM rears. Just be sure to draw the ring gear onto the carrier with long threaded rods and nuts and not with the ring gear bolts as this will damage the threads. for the crush sleave, I prefer to use the solid spacer and shims. A properly loaded pinion assy. should feel like a good new front wheel bearing instalation if you are used to working on the old tapored bearing setups of the 70's and 80's. When you install the carrier into the case, be sure to start the bolts on the bearing caps only a couple of threads, and slide the cap down gently before drawing up the bolts. Turn the spanner nuts till you have the ring gear locked against the pinion and both are nice and snug. back off the right rear cap and re snug a few times. next back off the left and tighten the right spanner nut one turn at a time so that the bearings stay centered and properly loaded until the correct lash setting is reached. That should get you started pretty well. Be ready to adjust it many times over quite a few hours when doing this for the first time. I am sure you will do quite well. Good luck!

Henry
Old 02-16-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-19-2008, 04:07 PM
12 Second Club

Default third member

You call BS? No problem I got a used nodular rear end 100, reman trac loc 150, gears 150, and my timkin bearing kit 200. So you call BS while I save money? Well atleast I still have money in my pocket. I never said all parts were brand new but just because it is used or remaned doesnt mean it is not as strong as a new third member you sell. Hey dont get me wrong I would be buying one if I did not know how to build one and you probably build an awesome rear-end but I would never spend 1000 on a third member for a 400-600 drag build. Maybe a 1200 hsp car but there are no means for anyone spending that unless they have more than 700 hsp.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:13 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a new Moser 9 inch housing with ABS option and 31 spline axles, housing painted storm grey, complete with bearings and 12mm studs, $1,150.00 shipped. Can ship it out tomorrow! This housing also has the $100.00 lower control arm relocation brackets already installed on it, great deal! Bob