Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

pros and cons of S60

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pros and cons of S60

What are the pros and cons of the Strange S60. I am interested and this seems like the "best bang for the buck". My concern is how much heavier is this than the 10 bolt? Are there clearence issues with the larger housing? What else will I need for a proper install? If $2300 turns into $2800 because of other parts needed it doesent make sense to me.

I have a 01 SS with a M6, and heads cam package. It is lowered about 1.5" The 10 bolt is holding up, but DRs are on the way. This is still a daily driver and I need the car to handle properly on the street.

I am trying to keep this cost low, but I am not unrealistik as to the value of getting the right rear for my car. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

if you arent going to track the car much save the extra cash and get a 12 bolt
Old 02-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Teching In

with the S60 you'll have to run a shortened driveshaft which strange offers a chromolly driveshaft for 300ish i believe. You'll also have to either send your brake backing plates to strange. or pay the extra couple hundred bucks to have them install new ones. so all in all you'll end up spending around 3k+ with all said and done. It took roughly a month for me to recieve my S60 which ive heard is longer than most 9in's and 12 bolts. As far as handling, it really doesn't handle any different unless you run a spool instead of a posi and the obvious effects of the change in gear ratio. Ive heard the added weight of the rear end can help with wheelhop on stock ride height vehicles. Last but not least, be careful with H/C power and DR's on the 10 bolt! I broke a 10 bolt on BFG DR's and another on 315 sumitomo street tires which all in all left me with a couple months downtime for my DD..
Old 02-14-2008, 09:05 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

once you order the rearend you shouldn't need to spend any other money than the small things required at install, like gear oil, brake fluid, etc. the S60 is definelty heavier than the 10 bolt, and you will need a shorter driveshaft. most people that are installing new rearends are usually purchasing driveshafts as well, anyway. the stock driveshafts are marginal, at best. you should be able to get into a S60 and a 3 inch chromemoly driveshaft for 2600 shipped.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

Unless you have a 1000 hp drag only car, A 9" is more than enough. Its cheaper than the S-60, Just as strong, You can use your backing plates without haveing to send them in, You can use your stock length drive shaft, and you will get it within a week of ordering.

I almost went with a S-60 and realized I was about to pay $800 more and really didn't need to. Even Strange says they are "As Strong as" the 9" and the hassle of dealing with the Backing plates, driveshaft, and the wait time to get it turned me off. Glad I went with my 9". I did go with a Strange Pro Nodular third member and I am glad I did.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jays00ss
Unless you have a 1000 hp drag only car, A 9" is more than enough. Its cheaper than the S-60, Just as strong, You can use your backing plates without haveing to send them in, You can use your stock length drive shaft, and you will get it within a week of ordering.

I almost went with a S-60 and realized I was about to pay $800 more and really didn't need to. Even Strange says they are "As Strong as" the 9" and the hassle of dealing with the Backing plates, driveshaft, and the wait time to get it turned me off. Glad I went with my 9". I did go with a Strange Pro Nodular third member and I am glad I did.

Same here, I was leaning toward the S60 (it's a brick shithouse!) and I wanted a rear I could just bolt in and not worry about. After some researching I learned the 9" was a better fit for me given the other mods the S60 requires. Also consider most of the cars on here (esepecially mine!) will never produce the power the S60 is made to handle! I'm all for having stronger parts than needed but this was one item I was willing to "go the cheaper route on" for nearly the same stregnth and same quality product!

Last edited by 96LT1355Z28; 02-14-2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jays00ss

ok my car will push around 1000 max to the ground. but i want to keep my abs for daily driver. with a s60 i can use a 35 spline and a true trac. with a 9 the biggest true trac is a 31. and a 31 wont hold a hard-high horse luanch.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

i have the dana 60 i haven't been to dyno it yet but from what i've seen with the 9 inch it robs quite a bit of power on the dyno, not sure what the dana 60 takes away but i will find out too! before i put the rear it made right at 450 to the wheels once i put heads i hope to make 520 to the wheels and then with a 175 shot of nitrous which put me almost 700 to the wheels and then once i get more cubes i plan to run a twin turbo set up with a 500 cubic inch motor not sure what it will put down but i just didn't want any limits on power since these ls1 make very good power
Old 02-14-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the waiting is the biggest turnoff. i was hoping to have it in the car between 5-6 weks after i ordered but as of yesterday it was 7 weeks out. hoping it gets here tomorrow. got a local shop doing the install and gear set up.
i'm looking at $3300(paying for shipping) before the install. the $200 strange drivshaft is in that price too.pretty much got everything i wanted except for welded on lower control arm brackets so that cost me $100 more for some bolt ons from umi. i wanted the 35 spline, truetrac, 2 sets of studs, rear ta style cover, powder coated, and motive gears.

i was reading on here for a while...pretty much since the s60 came out. i was eyeing it already but heard people have problems with them. that's why i'd rather have a local shop set up the gears. supposedly the s60 weighs more but makes up for it by not robbing as much power as the 9 or 12. and the s60 looks much better. the m9 looks good but i didn't want the 31 splines or their TA.

i'm hoping the s60 is the last rear i will ever need for this car. hoping that changing fluid is all i'll have to do for years on this thing.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

I ordered the s60 back in the third week of January. I should have it by the end of Feb. Long *** wait time, but its soo worth it. Im sick of holding my breath when I launch hard! The efficientcy of the dana is better then all the others, and that is why I went with it. It is a few pounds heavier then the other built ones, but its a great peice of mind! I got my rear and d/s for2500. So, it is a decent price. I got in on a GP though. I too am doing the lower control arm brackets, weld in though. I have an LT1 rear brake setup, so I dont have to pay the stupid backing plate crap you LS1 guys have to pay for. hehe. true trac diff, 35 spline axles, abs, this this is gonna be FUN to drive with 4.10's! Let the beating begin....
Old 02-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have been doing a lot of research and I think I am going with a 12 Bolt. It is the lightest and it looks like the all can take some serious HP with the proper set up. Any suggeations as where to purchase one? I want 33 spline, 4 channel abs, locker, aluminum cover. Who has the best price out there?
Old 06-02-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

up top for price/who sells em info as well...
Old 06-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Launching!

got mine for 2600 w DS! Why buy a 12 bolt when u can get a 60 cheaper? the moser 12 started at 2700 and the dana is still cheaper! The 9 isn't a bolton, you have to modify to install. I got mine through Young at byunspeed
Old 06-04-2008, 04:47 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USMC Devil Dog
got mine for 2600 w DS! Why buy a 12 bolt when u can get a 60 cheaper? the moser 12 started at 2700 and the dana is still cheaper! The 9 isn't a bolton, you have to modify to install. I got mine through Young at byunspeed
Moser 12 bolt with Truetrac starts at $2350.00 shipped on my website.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=146

Moser 9 inch with Truetrac starts at $2400.00 shipped on my website.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145
The only mod that is required is the light use of a prybar where the floor tunnel makes slight contact is two places. All it takes is five minutes to nudge the floor away.

The S60 has not been trouble free.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=problems+s60 Bob
Old 06-04-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my S60 has been trouble free. i wanted the 9" just for gear swaps but i'm glad i went with the 60. just my .02 cents though.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

No problems or complaints with my S60, it fit like a glove on the install. There really aren't any issues with them except being heavy, and like mentioned above you get a 35 spline axel with a tru-trac. I have took mine to the track and no whine issues at all cutting 1.6x 60s. Hopefully i will get them down, and i am sure the housing wont twist like the 12 bolts do, and then you get gear whine.

Quick Reply: pros and cons of S60