Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

apparently I have a "loose" rear end

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickstock98t/a
thanks guys. i'll check all you suggested when the sun comes up. will let u know

HEY JOSHP14 you said you use to live here in the 'loo. and your car does look familiar. did you use to drive by hoover middle school/lou henry elementary frequently when you were here? around 2006

Moved to DSM area in '99...been here ever since. Only lived up there for a couple years and I actually meant to say lived near waterloo...I lived in Jesup about 20 miles east of waterloo.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:45 AM
Teching In

If it's making noise at slow speed and when there's no torque on the axle, It's the limited slip diff. There's a crush sleeve that can be replaced to stop it, but within a week it will make the noise again. I have the tech notes that say it will make the rattling noise and that it's okay. Personally I don't think it’s okay, but I've had it fixed four times when I first got the car (new in 2000) and now just live with it.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Teching In

You can have 1 of 3 problems. mine use to do the same thing.
1. You have loose or disconnected rear suspension components. Check all mounting bolts and bushings.
2. Loose driveshaft bolts. Inspect then tighten all the bolts and nuts.
3. You have a worn or damaged u-joint bearing. Replace it.

Thats really what this sound could be coming from, one of those three problems

Quick Reply: apparently I have a "loose" rear end