Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Istalled 12 bolt and it hits the sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Istalled 12 bolt and it hits the sway bar

What did I do wrong or what didnt I do? Just as the car sits the rear end housing looks to be resting on the sway bar. Dont think its actually touching it sitting still but no more than a 1/4 inch away if that. When I hit bumps you can hear that sucker hitting the rear end cover. How can I fix this?

Thanks, Justin
Old 07-21-2003, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Istalled 12 bolt and it hits the sway bar

You either have to buy a relocation kit or fabricate something up. Do a search, several people reportedly just used larger clamps to fix.

I used the spohn relocation kit, which is basically a modified 3" clamp. The stamped steel part of the clamp is wider, which lowers the mounting point of the sway bar bushing holder. I also bought a poly bushing kit they sell. Ended up spending just under a hundred bucks, but is a good fix, looks great.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Justin, I see in your sig you're using a Strange 12-bolt. The Strange does not use the large 3" axle tubes that the Moser uses. What rear bar are you using? My 21mm BMR rear bar clears the housing on my Strange 12-bolt throughout its entire rotation using the stock clamps. Might be tolerances or maybe the BMR bar allows some more clearance - interesting...

As Dave noted, Spohn sells a relocation kit as does SLP (their 12-bolt installation kit), but both are based on the 3" tubes. You might try some "shims" between the axle clamps and the swaybar bushings to move the bar down a bit and see if that helps. The Strange axle tubes are ~ 2-5/8" O.D. so you might alternatively be able to use a pair of 2.5" muffler clamps (Jeg's used to sell some nice stainless steel clamps if I recall). Of course I haven't tried the muffler clamps myself, so you'll want to measure to be sure if you go that route.

Old 07-22-2003, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys. I will look into these ideas. Fulton1 I am using the stock sway bar.

Justin
Old 07-22-2003, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, the spohn is made to work on both the stock diameter axle tube and the larger 3" moser tubes. The clamp end is not round but is a "v" with teeth so it will supposedly work properly on the stock size tube, which my strange has.

I have an older spohn relo kit, new, for the moser which I'll sell dirt cheap if anyone out there wants it, won't work with the smaller tube.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is shimmed. Just looked around in the autoparts store untill I saw altenator (or starter) shims that were about the size I needed.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Easy fix.Loosen the U-bolts,stick long screwdriver between swaybar and rear cover and pullout as needed for clearence and tighten U-bolt's.No need for special washers.
Also if you have the girdle on the Strange,check for interference on the pass side maincap support bolt,because they ussually hit the bar above the panhard bar on hard bumps.Clearence as needed.