Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear Gears?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 06:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Gears?

My rear gears I believe are starting to get very loud, whining, and pretty much just an annoyance. So I see this as a great time to replace the gears, and was wondering what brand to go with? I'm pretty set on 4.10, I just don't know what company makes the better product. I would like as little gear whine as possible, but also strong enough that the teeth wont start to grind to early. Opinions on what brand of gears to go with? Richmond, Motive, ect?
Old 04-22-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

id vote richmond.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with OEM or Motive.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Banned

AHH yes gears.........the classic 4.10 gears at that..........having delt with many sets of gears in many many different f bodies A4 and M6 cars id say to go with the richmonds, unfortunately for you they are going to be decently loud, probably much louder than your stock gears going bad, but they are a much stronger gear than most of whats available for our little BS 7.5" 10 bolts. currently i have 4.10s in my 2000 M6 Z28, they are a GM motive gear and for the most part they are very very quiet, maybe the tiniest tiniest little howl on decel from like 70 ro 50 mph but thats about it......not sure how strong they are though i had quiet a few people recomend GM motive gears i cant say that i have any complaints lol since they havent broke yet. look at it like this the richmonds are noisy strength, the GM gears are your stock gears in your choice of ratio
Old 04-23-2008, 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the help guys. As much as I don't want the loudness, I guess the added strength is a trade off. I'll check out price differences, and maybe others opinions. Thanks again.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:00 PM
FormerVendor

I would not go with the Richmond unless this a drag car only. Richmond will be LOUD! no just a little annoying sound. For a primarily street car I would go with the GM gears. Sets up with stock shim and will be quiet.

Jeff
Old 04-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
My rear gears I believe are starting to get very loud, whining, and pretty much just an annoyance. So I see this as a great time to replace the gears, and was wondering what brand to go with? I'm pretty set on 4.10, I just don't know what company makes the better product. I would like as little gear whine as possible, but also strong enough that the teeth wont start to grind to early. Opinions on what brand of gears to go with? Richmond, Motive, ect?
GM all the way. Just put GM 3.73's in mine!
Old 04-25-2008, 01:24 AM
11 Second Club

All right, thanks alot guys. I'll hopefully be ordering them next week or so. On a near stock car, about how much faster could I run in the 1/4? about .2-.5 faster?
Old 04-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

FWIW, I used to have a 95 TA before I bought my 98. The 95 TA was mostly stock with a 150hp shot of N2O. I had a performance shop install Richmond 4.10's for me, and they were always quiet as a mouse. I beat the holy-shee-ite out of it too, and they never broke or started to whine. I'm talking 3rd gear nitrous rolling burnouts...hehehe
I also had Richmonds in a 5.0 mustang that I used to have MANY years ago. It was also very quiet. So in my limited experience, the Richmond gears were not loud and worked very well for me.

I can tell you from personal experience that if you install Motive gears incorrectly they will whine like a SOB! Isn't that right Jeff?

And I'm not sure if Motive = GM since my motive street gears that I bought were made in Korea, and besides, I thought AAM made Genuine GM gears??

Can anyone explain this for me?

So now I've got my new Genuine GM 4.10's awaiting installation, and I swear to God I am never taking the rear end of this car apart again after this. Fingers crossed!