Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 10:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End Noise

Don't know a damn thing about rear ends - I have a '98 TA automatic/OEM 2.73 rearend and I'm getting some clunking from the rearend during shifting (both up and down), though not all the time. I've also noticed the clunking when the rearend goes over a sharp bump at slow speeds... Any ideas before I take this to the shop? Thanks!
Old 03-20-2003, 10:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: Rear End Noise

...check the yeh joints in your drive shaft yokes...if they are bad, you get a clunking noise that sounds like a busted rear...
Old 03-20-2003, 10:53 AM
Teching In

I had a Pontiac tech look at them when they were replacing a pinion seal, he said they were fine. He also told me that the rearends on the F-Body's were crap and would make "some" noise. He drove my car and said it sounded normal, but the clunking drives me nuts. Can the gears fall out of alignment?
Old 03-21-2003, 12:14 AM
TECH Veteran

...not really ...the gears don't fall out of alignment ...they just fall out of the car - mostly in small pieces....

...F-bodies have weak rear ends and weak clutches (M6) as a design feature ...accordingly, these parts are designed to fail first ...so the more expensive parts in the driveline do not....

....great work on GM's part don't you think? ...do you now understand why f-bodies did not sell well? ...hopefully, you will own your car for 30 years until it becomes a classic and then you will be able to recover your investment,,,
Old 03-23-2003, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this site: http://www.randysringandpinion.com/diagnosing.shtml
Give their tech line a call and they can answer ANY questions you have, they're awesome.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the tip - they were very helpful! Problem solved!