Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana
View Poll Results: Will A Adjustable Torque Arm Stop My Gear Whine?Like Shop Says?
Yes It Will
5.56%
No It Wont
94.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

shop says I need adjus.TA to Stop gear whine

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 10:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Torque Arm will NOT cause or solve a ring and pinion howl. I could bolt it on for you but you will need to have the angle set by an alignment shop and I believe they could install the torque arm for you at the same time. Does not make sense for me to charge you to bolt it on and then take it to an alignment shop.

Jeff
Old 05-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Banned

Hey JATTGUNMAN ,let me ask you this . Did you happen to replace the axle shafts with aftermarket units ? Because if you did I have something very important to tell you .
Old 05-02-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jawsgear
Torque Arm will NOT cause or solve a ring and pinion howl. I could bolt it on for you but you will need to have the angle set by an alignment shop and I believe they could install the torque arm for you at the same time. Does not make sense for me to charge you to bolt it on and then take it to an alignment shop.

Jeff
Wait now your saying not to get a Adjus. Torque Arm?So the torque arm wont help the howling?You said that was the problem and told me and my dad that this was the cause of the howling...So what do I need to resolve this problem??plus earlier you didnt add the last part to your 1st post...so now im totally lost..I thought that the torque arm would hopefully fix it like you were saying..
Bolting in the torque arm would be relatively easy and setting the pinion shouldnt be hard the main reason I wanted you to do it instead of me,was that way you know that it would be set properly to your specs and everything...whatever it is I just want the howling to stop and I know motive gears are supposed be very quiet.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

LMAO! ya, take the torque arm off to make the gear whine stop....lol
Old 05-02-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

It was just in general,not directed at anyone..
Old 05-03-2008, 08:38 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jattgunman
Wait now your saying not to get a Adjus. Torque Arm?So the torque arm wont help the howling?You said that was the problem and told me and my dad that this was the cause of the howling...So what do I need to resolve this problem??plus earlier you didnt add the last part to your 1st post...so now im totally lost..I thought that the torque arm would hopefully fix it like you were saying..
Bolting in the torque arm would be relatively easy and setting the pinion shouldnt be hard the main reason I wanted you to do it instead of me,was that way you know that it would be set properly to your specs and everything...whatever it is I just want the howling to stop and I know motive gears are supposed be very quiet.
Unfortunately you still do not understand and have not read the post very clearly. The gear has some howl but the noise you are hearing is not all coming from the gear. You still need the angle on your pinion to be adjusted properly as it WILL CAUSE EXTRA LOAD AND WEAR ON THE PINION BEARINGS! This is the reason for an aftermarket torque arm not because the ring and pinion is noisy.

Jeff
Old 05-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea pinion angle can cause noise or howl from stress on the pinion mostly the bearing....it needs to be within about 3 degrees of 0
Old 05-04-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jawsgear
Unfortunately you still do not understand and have not read the post very clearly. The gear has some howl but the noise you are hearing is not all coming from the gear. You still need the angle on your pinion to be adjusted properly as it WILL CAUSE EXTRA LOAD AND WEAR ON THE PINION BEARINGS! This is the reason for an aftermarket torque arm not because the ring and pinion is noisy.

Jeff
I can only try to make sense of what I am told since I am not a expert in the field of rear ends...All I know is that the whine is coming from the rear end,Perhaps its the pinion bearings which you JUST suggested,if that part of the bearings was made clear to me in the past I would not of mentioned gears whining in any of my posts,and you did say ....."I told you it is not uncommon for an aftermarket gear to make noise especially with the pinion angle not right as it puts an extreme amount of load on the gears when the angle is not set right"
Old 05-08-2008, 07:41 AM
Staging Lane

If you have after market gears put in to a stock rear end .will the pinion angle be a problem? Doesnt seem like it to me, but the again i dont know anything about rear end gears.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:38 AM
11 Second Club

sorry to Hijack, but how again will I check my pinion angle at an alignment shop?

what should I tell them, they work more on OEM cars and are more of a rim shop but I get my alignments there..
Old 12-29-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Regular

So I finally got a adjustable torque arm and guess what?The howling is still there! I am very dissapointed and have no idea on what I can do? Im positive that its the gears!!!WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!!!
Old 12-29-2008, 03:43 PM
11 Second Club

LOL! Its a moser 9" I thought they all had gear whine?? I dont think there is much you can do. Some rears are just really loud others sound like stock. Keep messing with the TA if you adjust it perfect it should help a little. BTW there is no such thing as one setting being perfect. You have to keep tring different pinion angles to find the perfect one for your car.
Gear whine is just one of the many reasons I went with an S60(stock TA mounting points & fit was another one).
As far as the other guy with motives, 9 out of 10 times they are as quite as a stock rear. At least mine where!
Old 12-29-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

Id expected some noise but at 70-80mph its pretty intense..
Old 12-29-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

My Moser 9" is quiet as stock. Something isnt right if its howling.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Rai
TECH Enthusiast

I’ve also been in the car and the extent of the whine is indescribable. A little noise is understandable on a aftermarket rear end but it’s to a point were after about 25 minutes of sitting in the car (especially on long trips), the average person would start developing a headache (not over exaggerating by any means).

The worst part is that the installer has been giving him the “run around” for a while now, which is costly and time consuming.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:13 PM
11 Second Club

My tunnel mount TA was the same way not tolerable. It just wasnt ment for a Street car.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Having pinion angle off can cause noise but your problem is most likely due to gears. Go to a reputable shop and have them set up right and posibly get compensation from the shop that couldnt set them up right.

I have a fabbed housing, 4.11 gears, tubular torque arm known to transfer noise, tubular rod ended lcas and ZERO gear noise.Road noise is a given but it even is really not bad and just a slight bit more than the 10 bolt/bmr ta setup on it before.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:08 AM
11 Second Club

I reputable shop did put them in and rechecked them from what I read???? A New Gear set might be better. Some gears are just noisy others are dead quiet(even from the same company).
For instance Richmond gears are notorious for gear whine, and Motive gears are generally as quiet as stock. Some LS1s are fast and others are slow!!! Get the pic?

I would have the Shop that put them in for you, contact the gear company and see if they will exchange the gears and cover the labor. Its not the shops fault.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Rai
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AChotrod
I reputable shop did put them in and rechecked them from what I read???? A New Gear set might be better. Some gears are just noisy others are dead quiet(even from the same company).
For instance Richmond gears are notorious for gear whine, and Motive gears are generally as quiet as stock.
They cannot be the most reputable shop because they have been trying to avoid the problem all together. The funny part of what you have stated above is that you said "Motive gears are generally as quiet as stock", oddly enough i am almost 100% positive that the gears that had been installed are Motive 4.11 Gears.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

I also said it could differ from the same company.
Hey I have no affiliation with that shop, i never even heard of it untill this thread. But Im pretty sure its not rocket science and Im sure they have done plenty of swaps and know how adjust them correctly especially if they are a sponsor here. Also by reading this they didnt just right him off, they even double checked to make sure its all within spec & It was within spec. What are they supossed to do?
I would suggest having the shop contact Motive or whoever they are from and go from there.
If they are installed correct and why should the shop spend countless hours tring to fix something that just cant be fixed??????
If you really think its the shop take the car some where else and If they can fix it, then go after the shop who did the original Install.
Extremely whinny gear sets are nothing new at all. This kid just got a bad set in my .02