Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Who has had S60 problems???

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah, I +1 to your agree
Old 06-20-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no clunk with mine ever.
do you have a chassie mount TA, like the spohn
Old 07-03-2008, 01:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having two issues with my S60 right now:

1) Gear oil is leaking out of the drain plug on the bottom. I even used teflon tape on the threads and still leaks after driven for a period of time.
2) The housing gets extremely hot, even to the point that you can't touch it. Is this normal?

I have the TruTrac and 4:10's with the aluminum cover. Anyone else?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TX20D
I'm having two issues with my S60 right now:

1) Gear oil is leaking out of the drain plug on the bottom. I even used teflon tape on the threads and still leaks after driven for a period of time.
2) The housing gets extremely hot, even to the point that you can't touch it. Is this normal?

I have the TruTrac and 4:10's with the aluminum cover. Anyone else?
Id get ahold of Strange and let them know..Maybe its setup too tight, causing it to build up excess heat. Did you check the fluid level? Also ask them, what fluid they recommend you fill it up with..
Old 07-10-2008, 03:57 AM
10 Second Club

Mine gets super hot too. Always thought it was normal. When I had the cover off, everything looked normal (no blueing). IDK.

Has always had a whine between 40 and 50 mph under a load. Silent any other time

The crappy chrome cover I got with it leaks ... but I'm gonna' upgrade to a polished alum. one anyway. I hate cheap chrome!!!! The bottom drain might be leaking too but I'd never know with all that's getting by the cover.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:12 AM
10 Second Club

Looks like I got the leak fixed. The plug had some bad threads and was probably just letting oil leak through especially after the rear and oil got hot.

I have already spoken to Strange and they said the heat is normal for this rear but I can't get a straight answer on what the true operating temperature should be. They were asking me to put a tap in the drain and see if there is some sort of garbage keeping the plug from seating and from what I can tell there was none. But they did say that if I can't get it to stop leaking that they would pay to have an authorized service rep look at it and fix if needed.

I'll keep a close eye on the leak and see if it comes back....
Old 11-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

A lot of heat is not normal. I had mine repaired under warranty by Strange. My rear would get so hot you could barely touch an axle tube let alone the center section. The main bearing caps were way over torqued. Upon disassembly it could be seen that my bearings were blue and that the fluid was burnt.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by junior28570
Mine gets super hot too. Always thought it was normal. When I had the cover off, everything looked normal (no blueing). IDK.

Has always had a whine between 40 and 50 mph under a load. Silent any other time
Mine has that nasty whine, between 40-50mph also..Thats weird, and yes only under load, you let off the throttle, and it goes away. But whatever, if nobody can find anything wrong with it, I'll run it till somethin' shows up

Quick Reply: Who has had S60 problems???