Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How do you get the reluctor ring back on the new axle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation How do you get the reluctor ring back on the new axle?

Had to change an axle due to a bad axle bearing.

From searching looks like I can slightly pry the reluctor ring off the old axle but what type of press or puller do I need to buy to put it back on my new axle?

Thanks
Old 06-23-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

i thought 4 channel axles came with the reluctor ring on them already. anyhow im not sure what tool would be needed, but you could probably just take it to a machine shop and get them to do it for the price of the tool.

you are sure that you got a 4 channel axle right? it should have a raised lip on it near the wheel side. just double checking. =)
Old 06-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Cool

Originally Posted by lusting4ls1
i thought 4 channel axles came with the reluctor ring on them already. anyhow im not sure what tool would be needed, but you could probably just take it to a machine shop and get them to do it for the price of the tool.

you are sure that you got a 4 channel axle right? it should have a raised lip on it near the wheel side. just double checking. =)

The axles come machined to accept the reluctor ring, but I don't think they come with the ring already installed. I'f it is already on there when I get it, that would be a nice surprise..

I was thinking about taking it to a machine shop but since I can only really work on my car on the weekends it's kind of a PITA to take off of work for a couple hours to drop it off and then take off again to go pick it up..

Yeah man, it's a 4 channel rear. I got traction control (ASR) and ABS

I may do the machine shop, your right guess I should just pay them what the tool would cost..

Thanks Man
Old 06-23-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To install ,Put the ring in the oven and heat it up around 250* to 300* and put the end of the axle were the reluctor ring goes on in a bag of ice , Get the axle chilled and take the hot reluctor ring and slip in on the machined end of the axle. After the reluctor ring cools its there to stay. This how they put wrist pins on pistons rod that are press fit pins.
To remove the ring ,I just two crow feet pry bars and put on each side and ring and pushed it right off, There not on there that tight

Last edited by Randy WS6; 06-23-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
To install ,Put the ring in the oven and heat it up around 250* to 300* and put the end of the axle were the reluctor ring goes on in a bag of ice , Get the axle chilled and take the hot reluctor ring and slip in on the machined end of the axle. After the reluctor ring cools its there to stay. This how they put wrist pins on pistons rod that are press fit pins.
To remove the ring ,I just two crow feet pry bars and put on each side and ring and pushed it right off, There not on there that tight
that is what i would do, but i dont see a need to chill the axle, i would just heat up the ring, slide it on and than cool it off with air.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:11 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Randy WS6

Awesome man ! Thanks ... I had an idea in my head to heat the ring up and cool the axle but wasn't sure if it would work or not....

Damn, Thanks Again !
Old 06-24-2008, 05:02 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rings can come already installed for $75.00 when the rear or the axles are ordered. Bob

Quick Reply: How do you get the reluctor ring back on the new axle?