Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana
View Poll Results: Which 12-Bolt do you prefer
Moser
29.63%
Strange
70.37%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

12-Bolt: Moser vs Strange

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 08:42 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by mr_biscuitz
I personally love my moser 12 bolt w/4.10 gears. I go to the track about 2 or 3 times a month and leave at 5500 rpm. It does whine like a son-of-a-bitch but hell every suspension mod you do there is a little more sound that comes with it. I normally don't drive the car besides on weeekends and nights but you get use to the noise. I was told you didn't need the nine inch unless you were going to be going over the 800hp mark. That is what moser said when I bought my rearend 2 years ago. I would have to say now I wish I would have went with the nine inch due to my newest plans. 408 w/F1a pushing 14 to 16 pounds. Guess time will tell. I plan on trying out the 4.10s before I change probably to a 3.71. Hell they are all pretty much the same price now so just go with the 9 inch.
You might want to consider selling your 12 bolt with the 4.10's in it just the way it is before you spend money in swapping gears, then you could step up to a nine inch with 3.70 gears. Bob
Old 09-06-2008, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus

The M9 is more expensive than the standard Moser 9 inch, not the other way around. The housing and axle package, which comes with a torque arm and trans crossmember is $1,800.00. Then you choose which center section you want. Bob
I've priced rearends on all the sponsors sites, and from my finding...whether is be 12 bolt, 9", or fab9/m9, they seem to come out about the same price.

Maybe it's because I need a new torque arm..so adding the price of that onto the regular 9" brings it up the price of the m9 that comes with one!

If you already have a torque arm, then the 12 bolt/9" is cheaper......
Old 09-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

IF you go 12-bolt, you should go with a Strange housing, no questions asked. Moser's design is seriously one of the worst out there, and it is only due to their torque arm mounting solution (4 blind bolt holes instead of 2 through bolts like the Strange). Just take a gander on here and see how many people have problems with bolts backing out on the Moser 12-bolt...and it is only their 12-bolt that has this design flaw.

However, in your situation, I'd probably go with the 9-inch. For me, I didn't want the 9" because I wanted the fit and finish of the 12-bolt...it seriously looks like it came from the factory with it. If you didn't know better, you wouldn't think anything was up when you look under my car. The 9-inch design is much better for setting gears, and there is so much aftermarket support for 3rd members it isn't even funny.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:49 AM
11 Second Club

Friend on the forum.
A3 and spooled 12 bolt

Strong enough for me. (I would consider a 9" over the 12 bolt if you have an M6)
Old 09-12-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

Ive had several Moser 12 bolts and have had great luck with all of them. The last one I ordered (last year) I ended up paying over $300 for truck shipping, WTF. When I ended up selling one recently, it cost me half of that.
I have had a life long history with Strange products so I wouldn't hesitate buying one from them.
Lesson learned, add shipping into cost analysis!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

while i cant say i hate my M12,,,if i had to do it allll over, it would be the Strange 12 (TA mounting is puny,,very, very, very puny)
i have seen work preformed by Erik at Midwest Chassis,,,top notch quality and workmanship! Hell of a guy, great customer service.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

DannoWS6, that is a sweet pic.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:16 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TT632
Ive had several Moser 12 bolts and have had great luck with all of them. The last one I ordered (last year) I ended up paying over $300 for truck shipping, WTF. When I ended up selling one recently, it cost me half of that.
I have had a life long history with Strange products so I wouldn't hesitate buying one from them.
Lesson learned, add shipping into cost analysis!
If you buy a Moser 12 bolt or 9 inch from me, shipping is free in the 48 states.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=146
12 bolt
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145
9 inch

Bob
Old 09-13-2008, 06:38 AM
TECH Addict

Love my Strange 12-bolt. The only downside was having to wait for it. I bet if Strange could get their 12-bolts to their customers as fast as Moser, no one would buy a Moser 12-bolt. Moser capitalizes on the people who need a new rearend yesterday. It's a hell-of-a criteria for making such an important decision.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:06 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Predator
Love my Strange 12-bolt. The only downside was having to wait for it. I bet if Strange could get their 12-bolts to their customers as fast as Moser, no one would buy a Moser 12-bolt. Moser capitalizes on the people who need a new rearend yesterday. It's a hell-of-a criteria for making such an important decision.
In my opinion the Moser 9 inch is the very best way to go, plus it ships in two days after the order is placed.

Put a 12 bolt into a early Chevelle, Nova, Camaro, etc and you can beat the crap out of it, and not hurt anything. Put one into one of our cars with a torque arm, make a couple 4000 to 5000 dragstrip launches, and I can just about guarantee you'll pick up gear noise. If it is a drag only car, you'll never know or care about the gear noise. Drive your car home from the track, and the noise will drive you nuts. I feel the torque arm stresses the 12 bolt housing, causing distortion. We have never seen this happen with the 9 inch housing.

Exotic Performance Plus strongly recommends the Moser nine inch. This rear is even tougher than the Moser 12 bolt, and the horsepower of the late model F Body cars keeps escalating every year, which requires a very strong rear. With the recent introduction of the 6.2L GM aluminum block and the excellent flowing 6.2 litre heads, the horsepower of these cars is going to just keep climbing at a very fast pace.The nine inch will handle the power, plus we prefer the way the torque arm is bolted to the nine inch in the same way the oem rear-end is attached. (This is the only good thing about the stock 10 bolt...) The Moser 12 bolt uses four short bolts to attach the torque arm, and they have a habit of loosening up, even when loc-tite is used. Why the nine inch is stronger than the 12 bolt. The 9-inch has an internal rear-pinion support that also supports the gear end of the pinion to limit gear deflection under high torque loads. This seems to be the major reason why the 9 inch doesn't start whining after high rpm clutch dumps, when the 12 bolt will pick up noise.The 9-inch locates its pinion gear lower on the ring gear to improve tooth contact, than the 12 bolt does.The 9-inch has a 0.125-inch larger ring-gear diameter and internal pinion support than the 12 bolt does. This is not much of a difference, but it is worth noting. Bob
Old 09-13-2008, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

A lot of people don't need or want a 9" rearend, but they want a good 12-bolt that doesn't disconnect itself from the torque arm. If they need it yesterday, they're out-of-luck, so they end-up buying 9" rears for their daily drivers.

The torque-arm distortion theory is a smokescreen to cover-up for shoddy QC.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:09 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Predator

The torque-arm distortion theory is a smokescreen to cover-up for shoddy QC.
Whatever, it happens with both Moser and Strange 12 bolts. Bob
Old 09-13-2008, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Whatever, it happens with both Moser and Strange 12 bolts. Bob
Whatever, maybe we should take another survey.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

Strange's design (at least for fitment in the car) is better than Moser on the 12 bolts.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:28 AM
9 Second Club

I have a Moser 12 bolt it's whined from mile number one and after a track outing will make your ears bleed.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call 911 and JFM-Jr

Are both right. Strange's 12 bolt has OEM provisions for hardware, but it whines like a Banshee!!

Don't know if it's the setup, or the gears.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

From what I have read there is no perfect rear end. Whether you get a 12 bolt or a 9 inch it will have gear whine.

The 9 inches available also won't work with stock torque arm unless you have the standard Moser 9 inch. I already have a after market torque arm and relocation to get it mounted off the transmission so I don't want another torque arm that comes with the M9 and the Midwest rear.

I also read that the standard 9 inch needs to be "clearanced" to fit in the tunnel area. I'm sure with my lowered vehicle I can just forget about it.

Moser 12 bolts have short bolts that come loose on torque arm setups.

What else...

This is what I have gathered by reading countless threads on which rear end to get and makes it very hard choosing a rear end.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

i concur about the gear whine. Nothing major tho.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default MOSER Whine? WTF

You guys are scaring me after spending almost 3 G's on my Moser 12 bolt.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:31 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JScamaro
From what I have read there is no perfect rear end. Whether you get a 12 bolt or a 9 inch it will have gear whine.

The 9 inches available also won't work with stock torque arm unless you have the standard Moser 9 inch. I already have a after market torque arm and relocation to get it mounted off the transmission so I don't want another torque arm that comes with the M9 and the Midwest rear.

I also read that the standard 9 inch needs to be "clearanced" to fit in the tunnel area. I'm sure with my lowered vehicle I can just forget about it.

Moser 12 bolts have short bolts that come loose on torque arm setups.

What else...

This is what I have gathered by reading countless threads on which rear end to get and makes it very hard choosing a rear end.
I'll bet that the new Moser torque arm for the standard nine inch will fit without any clearancing being needed. Even when we use any other brand of torque arm, only very minor clearancing is needed, and all we do is to take a pry bar and gently move the sheetmetal away from the torque arm. We do it all the time on lowered cars without any problems.
There are also a lot of 9 inch owners who have silent rears, they're not all loud, and they're for the most part all quieter than the 12 bolts. Bob