Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

The age old Question: Moser 12" or Strange 9"

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default The age old Question: Moser 12" or Strange 9"

ok so here is the dillema this quesiton as been toyed around with forever, I am either going to buy a Moser 12 Bolt 33 spline true trac or a Strange Aluminum 9" 31 spline trutrac. I am confused as to which is better? I do not like the fact the Torque arm bolts up to housing directly on the 12 bolt. I have a 2002 Transam WS6 with cam,long tubes, catted y,borla catback, pushin 408 at the rear now on the stock rearend. So what do you all think?
Old 07-09-2008, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 12 bolt will be great, as long as you install and break it in correctly. If not you will get a whine from the gears. An aluminum pumpkin for a 9" is nice to say you have but isnt needed. A iron nodular is stronger. Unless you look at thier new M9 housing or a S60. Both of those are over kill for a DD and can live on the street, and have All gear ratios available with out changing carriers, good if you are hardcore racer going from track to track. But if the street is more your scene then those options are not needed. I have a 12 bolt 33 spline 4:10 geared moser with the TA girdle behind my H/C car. And some gear whine comes from the hardness of the gear-which is why factory gears are quite, but to weak for a heavy powerful car. Dont let alot of these stories of busted TQ arms steer you away from the 12 bolt. Its all been bad installs and poor mantaince is why they break. Mine havent broke or loosend after four yrs of hard street and track abuse. I know this is a long winded-but If you change your own oil. While your under there give everything else a once over.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are your future plans? If you plan on throwing alot more power at it later on, get the 9 inch. If you are happy where your at, get the 12 bolt.