Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Do I have a 4 channel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I have a 4 channel?

Hey sort of a newb to gears and rear ends and just trying to get my fax straight. I have a 2000 ws6 M6 w/ ABS and traction control and factory 3.42's, do I have a 4 channel?
I'm thinkin about getting some 4.10's, I know I've read all the problems that can be had with 10 bolts and 4.10's. I am not running slicks, the car sees the strip maybe twice a year and it is not my DD. The rear has been rebuilt several times by the previous owners, new seals, bearings, etc. It feels really tight so I feel pretty good about it holding up...for now.
If I go 4.10's, does GM make a set, seems like they have the best quality, or what sponsors should I look into? Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 288 Likes on 190 Posts

Yes, you have 4 channel.
2000 model year with ABS and ASR (traction control) = 4 channel

To make a simple verification, just look at backside of rear rotor backing plates/dustshields and confirm that yours has abs sensor on both sides. A 3 channel rear/car has abs sensor on top of rear housing and gets signal from ring gear.

I like Motive gears myself.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Nice I'll check it this week, gonna have the suspension apart.
Ok, so what is this I keep reading about 2 or 3 series carrier? Does this have to do with the size of the diff housing? No clue, I'm still trying to learn what will be involved with the swap before I jump into.
Thanks for the help.........
Old 07-27-2008, 07:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 288 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Titanws6
Nice I'll check it this week, gonna have the suspension apart.
Ok, so what is this I keep reading about 2 or 3 series carrier? Does this have to do with the size of the diff housing? No clue, I'm still trying to learn what will be involved with the swap before I jump into.
Thanks for the help.........
You would have a 3 series carrier since your car came stock with 342 gears.

If yours came with a 273 rear, it would be a 2 series.

In a nutshell, if you took your 342's and tried to run them on a 2 series carrier, you "may" get them to setup (although it'd be a PITA), and you probably would have a very hard time getting the c-clip back on driver's side axle since the carrier would have to be so far offset.

FWIW, some people prefer a 2 series carrier when going to 410's since that carrier would allow a thicker, hence stronger, ring gear when going to 410's. Just something to consider.

Very important to order the new gears for the carrier series that you are using!

Hope this info has helped you some.
I'm sure there is plenty of info about the actual install online here and elsewhere. Good Luck!
Old 07-27-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Its all falling into place now, thanks for the 101 on this.
Most likely I would have a local LSX shop do this, someone I can trust.
Time to do some pricing, thanks again.