Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana
View Poll Results: moser 9 or fab 9?
moser/strange 9"
23.33%
Fabricated 9"
76.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

9" vs fab 9"

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9" vs fab 9"

since no one could answer my other question i'm going to ask what the advantages or disadvantages of a moser 9" vs a fab 9" are. my rear just blew and i'm not rebuilding it a 4th time so let me know your opinion

Last edited by SLP Firehawk; 08-03-2008 at 10:46 AM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 08-03-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoy a fab'd housing due to the fact that you can narrow the hell out of it and run a low offset wheel to save weight and get a wicked deep dish look. The availability of a backbrack is nice, but you pay for all of those things. I would go with whatever your budget allows.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:15 PM
10 Second Club

I just ordered the Moser M9 from Bob at EPP, which is a fabbed rear. It comes with a chrome moly torque arm.

The advantages of a fabbed rear is they are lighter, stronger, and give you more room than a traditional cast rear. They look cool as hell too!
Old 08-03-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
I just ordered the Moser M9 from Bob at EPP, which is a fabbed rear. It comes with a chrome moly torque arm.

The advantages of a fabbed rear is they are lighter, stronger, and give you more room than a traditional cast rear. They look cool as hell too!
The op asked for both advantages and disadvantages... Since everybody seems to like the fab 9 I'll be the bad guy here. The 9" is alot cheaper, around 1000.00 cheaper. w/ the m9/fab9 You are limited to the T/a that they have, no other T/a will work. The rear may be a few #s lighter but is larger so if your car is lowered you will have problems w/ clearance under hard launches.

Mr.Marty Stone you can narrow a 9" just as much as m9/fab9,and a back brace is 89.00 at summit.

Unless your planning on making 1000 hp its not worth the extra money.
Hell.. You can get a stronger s60 from Vengeance for the same price as a Moser 9".

I will give you this, They do look good. There is no way I pay that much for Eye candy that does not give me any more power.

Hope this helps.
Doug
Old 08-03-2008, 05:24 PM
10 Second Club

Actually, when you factor in the price of a GOOD torque arm and the same options with the standard 9 inch, it's basically silly not to go ahead and get the M9.

In FACT, the same setup in a standard 9in and the price of a UMI chrome moly TA costs MORE than the M9 that INCLUDES a chrome moly TA. Price diff you ask? 3190 shipped for the M9 vs 3280 for a standard 9in and the cost of a UMI TA, which will be CHEAPER than a BMR or other brands, oh, and that doesn't count the cost of shipping the TA.

Who really cares if your limited to that torque arm when it's a badass unit and is INCLUDED? And you know it's only a matter of time til manufacturers start making torque arms for the other rears as well.

Also, I don't think the fabbed style presents clearance problems anymore than the standard 9in, if anything, it will help from what I have read thus far.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:04 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Actually, when you factor in the price of a GOOD torque arm and the same options with the standard 9 inch, it's basically silly not to go ahead and get the M9.

In FACT, the same setup in a standard 9in and the price of a UMI chrome moly TA costs MORE than the M9 that INCLUDES a chrome moly TA. Price diff you ask? 3190 shipped for the M9 vs 3280 for a standard 9in and the cost of a UMI TA, which will be CHEAPER than a BMR or other brands, oh, and that doesn't count the cost of shipping the TA.

Who really cares if your limited to that torque arm when it's a badass unit and is INCLUDED? And you know it's only a matter of time til manufacturers start making torque arms for the other rears as well.

Also, I don't think the fabbed style presents clearance problems anymore than the standard 9in, if anything, it will help from what I have read thus far.
You are right, the Moser chrome moly torque arm was designed to contour to the underbody of the chassis. The standard torque arm mount and a standard torque arm does not contour nearly as well, and I'm sure the M9 would work much better on a lowered car. Bob
Old 08-03-2008, 09:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
You are right, the Moser chrome moly torque arm was designed to contour to the underbody of the chassis. The standard torque arm mount and a standard torque arm does not contour nearly as well, and I'm sure the M9 would work much better on a lowered car. Bob
Thanks for the backup Bob!
Old 08-04-2008, 08:56 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Thanks for the backup Bob!

You're welcome! Bob
Old 08-04-2008, 09:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The major differences between the Moser and a Fab rear are in weight and options. A fab rear will also hold more HP. The moser can hold a lot, but for the over 800 RWHP crowd the fab advantages start to rack up quick.

You can get a back brace on a Moser rear.
You can use any TA on a Moser rear.
You can narrow a Moser rear.

The Fab rear is lighter. Our standard housing is under 60 lbs. The full race CM housing is under 45 lbs.
The fab rear has a lot more options as far as suspension mounting.
The Fab rear can be narrowed more than a Moser.
The Fab rear is stronger. Ours has gone 7.51 and faster on several board member's cars.
Our Fab rear uses ANY TA.

Our Fab housing is very strong, light and has a multitude of options. It is about 400.00 more than a standard moser housing.

HTH
Old 08-04-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When I priced out a standard 9" with all the accessories I wanted and compared it to a Midwest 9", it was about the same price.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Midwest Chassis

I went with the Midwest 9", LCA and Panhard setup....

I actually saved money by going that route versus buying a (options matching) Moser and adding the BMR suspension parts...

And since I have a M6 car, the hard connections that Midwest provides are far stronger than rubber or poly....

The install of the Midwest went very smooth.... I couldn't have asked for a better setup.

Good luck.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:09 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Check out the Moser M9 and it's options here.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1324 Bob
Old 08-05-2008, 06:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing you have to look at in a rear is if you plan on running any "Stock Suspension" type races. The rules makers are looking hard at the after market T/A that dont bolt on the rear factory style.

The Burkhart fab rear will accept any manufacturers T/A and is the one we have that has been 7.40s.

The biggest thing to look for is the qaulity of the welding and whether it is chromemoly(which must be TIG welded)or mild steel(which can be MIG welded).

225-343-9029
Old 08-05-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by _JB_
When I priced out a standard 9" with all the accessories I wanted and compared it to a Midwest 9", it was about the same price.
i was thinking the same thing i looked at prices for a moser and prices for a midwest 9 and u get all the options already in the price of the midwest and the moser u have to add on for like 100 dollars a pop. does anyone have known disadvantages of midwest chassis' 9? i am leaning twords that because you get good looks strong welds and options for a good price
Old 08-11-2008, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

It takes 3 to 4 months for a Midwest, I ordered my M9 From Bob last Tuesday, and It will be here on this Wed... Pluse it only cost me 2875.00 with TA, trans mount, spool, gears, and Relocation brackets. The only thing I will have left to upgrade to is the Rear Roll bar. But that will come at a later day.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:53 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by crazylane
It takes 3 to 4 months for a Midwest, I ordered my M9 From Bob last Tuesday, and It will be here on this Wed... Pluse it only cost me 2875.00 with TA, trans mount, spool, gears, and Relocation brackets. The only thing I will have left to upgrade to is the Rear Roll bar. But that will come at a later day.
Thanks for the order! Bob
Old 08-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Banned

I like the fact that the midwest chassis fabbed 9" has adjustable lca brackets. I don't care for the welded on extentions even though they have been proven to work. The big advantage is weight savings with a fabbed rearend. If you get a chance to look a regular moser 9" which I had in the car last year they are heavy the brackets are all thicker then needed. The torque arm mount is heavy, It moves the torque arm forward and to the drivers side which could causes some clearance or rubbing problems. I was glad to sell the moser rearend I had. Then I replaced it with the midwest rearend. My old rearend actually had a broken weld around the axle tube this year. So I would say a back brace is a good investmeent with a fabbed rearend.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by strokedz383
I like the fact that the midwest chassis fabbed 9" has adjustable lca brackets. I don't care for the welded on extentions even though they have been proven to work. The big advantage is weight savings with a fabbed rearend. If you get a chance to look a regular moser 9" which I had in the car last year they are heavy the brackets are all thicker then needed. The torque arm mount is heavy, It moves the torque arm forward and to the drivers side which could causes some clearance or rubbing problems. I was glad to sell the moser rearend I had. Then I replaced it with the midwest rearend. My old rearend actually had a broken weld around the axle tube this year. So I would say a back brace is a good investmeent with a fabbed rearend.
The ones that Moser sells, are adjustable as well... I just put my rear in last night.. The only grip I have about it, Is they need to look at the PHB bracket. Its way to tight of a fit, I ended up having to beat it out about an 1/8" just so I could get my PHB in place to bolt up.. And even then it was tough going.

Other than that, the craftsman ship on these rears are very good... Every thing else went smooth as hell...
Old 08-15-2008, 12:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by crazylane
The ones that Moser sells, are adjustable as well... I just put my rear in last night.. The only grip I have about it, Is they need to look at the PHB bracket. Its way to tight of a fit, I ended up having to beat it out about an 1/8" just so I could get my PHB in place to bolt up.. And even then it was tough going.

Other than that, the craftsman ship on these rears are very good... Every thing else went smooth as hell...
I couldn't agree more! I'm in the process of installing mine as well, and everything was smooth up until the phb bracket. That thing is WAY to narrow. I finally had to call it a nite I was so tired of ******* with it, not to mention I was falling asleep on the creeper while staring at it thinking "wtf"?

But like mentioned above, the quality is top notch. All the welds are VERY nice. Considering I've been in the Machine Tool and Fabricating field my entire working career, I know quality when I see it.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:03 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thanks for the input guys, I'll let Tim at Moser know. Bob

Quick Reply: 9" vs fab 9"