Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Strange 12 bolt whine

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 05:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay Bob, I've seen that post a million times.

So the problem of distortion is due to Moser using four small bolts to mount to the torque arm?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember since the post is about Strange they use a 2 bolt stock setup.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:19 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes...most of this is subjective and people throwing out guesses. I can assure you that the gear pattern in mine is messed up, and causing a LOT of my noise. I'll be resetting the gears next spring and see what I end up with. For right now, I'm just driving the **** out of these noisy ones since I'll be tossing them anyway.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:22 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Predator
Okay Bob, I've seen that post a million times.

So the problem of distortion is due to Moser using four small bolts to mount to the torque arm?
Actually, Moser claims they use the four shorter bolts to make the housing stronger since they aren't punching holes through the entire housing like Strange, but their design sucks from a practical standpoint unless you really like safety wire.

The 9" torque arms are usually mounted to the housing itself differently. They use a big, beefy bracket that does not bolt anywhere close to the pinion gear like the 12-bolts do that have the mount cast in to the housing.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Actually, Moser claims they use the four shorter bolts to make the housing stronger since they aren't punching holes through the entire housing like Strange, but their design sucks from a practical standpoint unless you really like safety wire.

The 9" torque arms are usually mounted to the housing itself differently. They use a big, beefy bracket that does not bolt anywhere close to the pinion gear like the 12-bolts do that have the mount cast in to the housing.
MeentSS02, just want to clarify that with the Strange 12-bolt, there aren't holes punched through the entire housing. There are two plate-like protrusions with holes in them that mount to the torque arm. Sort of on the side of the housing.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

MeentSS02, just want to clarify that with the Strange 12-bolt, there aren't holes punched through the entire housing. There are two plate-like protrusions with holes in them that mount to the torque arm. Sort of on the side of the housing.
Yup see

Old 08-21-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks Danno, I installed mine a couple weeks ago, so I still have a good mental image, but your picture doesn't leave any doubt.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Yes, but it is still cast into the housing, and then machined. The 9" torque arm brackets are entirely separate from the gear case.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, but it is still cast into the housing, and then machined. The 9" torque arm brackets are entirely separate from the gear case.
I see what you're saying. I also realized later that you have a Strange 12-bolt yourself, so you already knew how the torque arm mounted. The way you described it, it sounded like you meant that the two bolts go through the housing itself, rather than those plate protrusions to the side of the housing. No biggie anyway.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I see what you're saying. I also realized later that you have a Strange 12-bolt yourself, so you already knew how the torque arm mounted. The way you described it, it sounded like you meant that the two bolts go through the housing itself, rather than those plate protrusions to the side of the housing. No biggie anyway.
Indeed...now that I read it again, it does make it sound like the bolts go through oil and gears before coming out the other side. Definitely not the case there

But that is why Moser uses four blind holes instead of the through holes like Strange's 12-bolt...they want as much metal in the housing for structural support at the expense of a ****-poor fastener design. Oddly enough, the Moser 9in. housing uses two through bolts instead of the four blind holes like their 12-bolt...

If I had to do this all over again, I would have probably just gone through Mark Williams for my 12-bolt...at least then I would have known it would be right straight out of the box. I am looking forward to learning how to set up gears though...at least I'll know it was done right this time around.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Indeed...now that I read it again, it does make it sound like the bolts go through oil and gears before coming out the other side. Definitely not the case there

But that is why Moser uses four blind holes instead of the through holes like Strange's 12-bolt...they want as much metal in the housing for structural support at the expense of a ****-poor fastener design. Oddly enough, the Moser 9in. housing uses two through bolts instead of the four blind holes like their 12-bolt...

If I had to do this all over again, I would have probably just gone through Mark Williams for my 12-bolt...at least then I would have known it would be right straight out of the box. I am looking forward to learning how to set up gears though...at least I'll know it was done right this time around.
I'm no expert, and I certainly wouldn't claim to know more about rearends than Moser, but it seems that the two bolt, stock/ Strange setup, is actually pretty good. It seems I hear about more Mosers being extremely noisy than Stranges, and also, how many people have complained about their 10-bolts being very noisy. Not many it seems.

Yes, knowing how to setup gears would be a valuable skill to have under your belt. You'd probably pickup a lot of new racing friends too. Do mine! Do mine!
Old 08-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Oddly enough, my 10-bolt whined louder than my Strange does now straight from the factory. I kept getting the runaround from the dealership "Oh, it'll be noisy...it's a performance axle." It took a different dealership 4 tries to get them set up right, but it was finally stone silent after that.

I've had horrible luck with axles thus far...I probably could have prevented this one had I just run a quick pattern check before I installed it, but I got impatient.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Talking

Oddly enough, my 10-bolt whined louder than my Strange does now straight from the factory. I kept getting the runaround from the dealership "Oh, it'll be noisy...it's a performance axle." It took a different dealership 4 tries to get them set up right, but it was finally stone silent after that.

I've had horrible luck with axles thus far...I probably could have prevented this one had I just run a quick pattern check before I installed it, but I got impatient.
Damn, I'm getting owned in this forum. I think I'll stick with the External Engine forum, or maybe Appearance and Detailing.

By any chance, are you heavily into 5k launches, or is it just bad luck?
Old 08-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Damn, I'm getting owned in this forum. I think I'll stick with the External Engine forum, or maybe Appearance and Detailing.

By any chance, are you heavily into 5k launches, or is it just bad luck?
Funny you should mention that...

The car has never seen a drag radial in its life, and I've never launched over 3000 RPMs, and even at that, my tires always spun (to a scorching 2.1 60' ). The 10-bolt was noisy from the day I drove it off the dealership's lot...really, it is just bad luck. Even with the 12-bolt, I still have never launched it, and it still rides on BFG KDW2s.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Funny you should mention that...

The car has never seen a drag radial in its life, and I've never launched over 3000 RPMs, and even at that, my tires always spun (to a scorching 2.1 60' ). The 10-bolt was noisy from the day I drove it off the dealership's lot...really, it is just bad luck. Even with the 12-bolt, I still have never launched it, and it still rides on BFG KDW2s.
Hang in there! Your luck is due to change, if it hasn't already. When the stars and planets realign, you'll be blessed with all good luck.

Nice talking to you! And GOOD luck in the future.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These rearend experiences are so subjective, I'm learning that it's futile to post individual experiences. I see your point, maybe I mean when the engine gets into the power band it seems noisier, I'm not sure though.

All I know for sure is that my 12-bolt is noisier than my stock rear, not in an annoying way, to me anyway, and I expected it to be a noisier, and I can't see how it couldn't be noisier than a 10-bolt. Everything is bigger, the gears, all the moving parts. Also, I find that my rear sounds different everytime I drive the car. I've only put a couple hundred miles on mine, so I'm still learning its characteristics.

It seems that a discussion about aftermarket rearends is steeped in subjectivity, and I'm having a hard time defining what the facts are. I think in the future I'll stick to topics that lend themselves to facts.

So what do you think is causing your rear to be noisier after trips to the track? What's your theory? Thanks.
My post you quoted wasn't subjective but fact. Rear end spins same speed no matter which gear but as to the noise after trips to the track? It's called "beating the **** out of it" And fwiw I've known guys with Moser 9's that are noisy.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by INMY01TA
My post you quoted wasn't subjective but fact. Rear end spins same speed no matter which gear but as to the noise after trips to the track? It's called "beating the **** out of it" And fwiw I've known guys with Moser 9's that are noisy.
Well, "beating the **** out of it" doesn't explain the exact cause of the noise. This is what I mean by subjective. Maybe someone else would call it normal driving. Everyone see things differently.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:46 AM
10 Second Club

I almost need earplugs to ride in my car at 60mph and it has leaked from the left wheel seal since new. But I've never had to get a wrecker to tow it home after 2 years of abusing the hell out of it. It's a small price to pay for reliability.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:26 PM
10 Second Club

My Strange 12-bolt was dead quiet when it was new, took it to the track and picked up noticeable gear whine. Keep in mind this is an A4 car launched at 1500-2300 rpms off the footbrake.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all of the info everyone. I can live with the noise it is no where close the sound of my stock with the richmond 373 I had in it. I replaced the bearings, axels, ect... in the stock and it never got quiet. I took the car to 3 shops and all said the pattern was fine. I am going to change the fluid with royal purple I dont think it will make a difference in the noise but it is due. Do you change the oil in these just like the stocker (fill it till it is full) or do they require a certain amount? Is there a drian plug. Sorry for the questions I helped a friend change his once but I ended up drinking more beer than helping. Thanks for any info.

Quick Reply: Strange 12 bolt whine