Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Anybody running 30 spline axles in 12bolt &Few other Qs

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003 | 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Anybody running 30 spline axles in 12bolt &Few other Qs

Anybody here running 30 spline axles and been hard on them? I've been thinking about going with them and getting the C clip axles. I'm not worried about the axle falling out of the car if it breaks because my stock 10 bolt didnt when it broke LOL. The brake caliper will hold the wheel on. I'm not real thrilled with the bolt on axle bearings being ball bearings. Ball bearings are not designed to take the side load of daily driving. Although, I have seen that Strange makes roller bearings for a daily driver, they too arent the best idea. I'm not sure why nobody has a setup like a full floating axle with tapered roller bearings. Also, a 30 spline axle with c clips is about $225 cheaper which is nice too. Any thoughts or ideas?
Old 09-10-2003 | 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Anybody running 30 spline axles in 12bolt &Few other Qs

Ok, well I just about answered my own questions when I spoke w/ Moser again. They said that they do not recommend the ball bearings for street use and have roller bearing setups for that. They also said that they do make a tapered bearing setup and that its recommended for cars seeing lots of side loading i.e.hard cornering/auto x/road race stuff. I may just go that route.
Old 09-11-2003 | 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Are the 30 splines the only ones that use the tapered bearing setups?
Old 09-12-2003 | 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Levi- No, moser said that the 33 spline will also accept the tapered bearings. I've read about your bearing woes and thats one of the things I'm leary about. IMO, they should only offer tapered bearings for street use.