Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

I'm ready to buy !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm ready to buy !!

OK, I'm hoping a sponsor will step up with a great deal
Bit of background first, along with what is in my sig, I have a 396 fully forged engine with LE3 heads and a Performabuilt L2 with 9.5" 3500 billet converter being shipped over from your sunny shores ( I live in the UK ).
I am now needing a rear end with traction & ABS.
As there are not too many shops here that are familiar with F-bodies, I need to have a bolt in solution including the drive shaft.
Looks like a Strange S60 would do the job.
Pro's & Con's, I've read so many posts that my eye's hurt, but gear noise is my greatest worry, I use this car daily for work, and living across the pond, I'm a little far away.
I would like to keep my UMI parts as I haven't had them long, this is why I'm thinking S60...
I could be wrong, sponsors please chime in and advise, or let me know what you can do for me, or if you neeed any more info.
Thanks in advance, (oh by the way, there's a big time difference, so my replies may come next day)
Rob
Old 10-07-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would deffantly get a strange S60
Old 10-07-2008, 11:07 PM
Teching In

MidWest 9"...you might not getting the shipping included free though
Old 10-07-2008, 11:12 PM
11 Second Club

I would also suggest the Midwest 9" or a Moser 9". The moser will bolt up 100% all youll have to do is switch a u joint on the driveshaft. Get with Bob at EPP, he'll take care of you.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:20 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SuperSlow02
I would also suggest the Midwest 9" or a Moser 9". The moser will bolt up 100% all youll have to do is switch a u joint on the driveshaft. Get with Bob at EPP, he'll take care of you.
Thanks! You can check out my prices here.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145 Bob
Old 10-08-2008, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would still get the strange S60! guy on local site got s60/4.56/spool/35 spline for 2k to his door!
Old 10-08-2008, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

2k....either he has the hook up or they fucked up the bill. All 3 rear end choices are close in initial price. The 9in only requires the u-joint, the 12bolt bolts up 100% and the S60 requires a modified driveshaft.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:08 AM
Staging Lane

Default Thanks for your input guys

Originally Posted by SIC LSX
I would still get the strange S60! guy on local site got s60/4.56/spool/35 spline for 2k to his door!
2k....either he has the hook up or they fucked up the bill. All 3 rear end choices are close in initial price. The 9in only requires the u-joint, the 12bolt bolts up 100% and the S60 requires a modified driveshaft.
I'm going to have to choose one, so a little more advise please.
The strange is fully assembled, all I have to sort is bolting rotors and callipers straight on (plus new driveshaft).
Do the mosers arrive fully assembled ?
Had a look at the site and it looks like I have to choose from a ton of options, and I wasn't sure if I needed to put it together.
If going the moser 9in route, why do I need a new u-joint ? Or is it a part to have fitted to the end of the driveshaft to mate with the new rearend?
Also I wasn't clear about the 3" exhaust clamps for the sway bar, what's this about ? Doe's the stock bar mount straight on like with the S60 ?
Sorry if these Q's sound lame, but there isn't many I can ask over here and I need one that can come out of the crate and bolt straight onto my car...
If the Moser 9" slides right in with all my UMI stuff, then it's a contender.
Again, thanks for your time guy's.....
Old 10-09-2008, 04:16 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chevythunderz28
I'm going to have to choose one, so a little more advise please.
The strange is fully assembled, all I have to sort is bolting rotors and callipers straight on (plus new driveshaft).
Do the mosers arrive fully assembled ?
Had a look at the site and it looks like I have to choose from a ton of options, and I wasn't sure if I needed to put it together.
If going the moser 9in route, why do I need a new u-joint ? Or is it a part to have fitted to the end of the driveshaft to mate with the new rearend?
Also I wasn't clear about the 3" exhaust clamps for the sway bar, what's this about ? Doe's the stock bar mount straight on like with the S60 ?
Sorry if these Q's sound lame, but there isn't many I can ask over here and I need one that can come out of the crate and bolt straight onto my car...
If the Moser 9" slides right in with all my UMI stuff, then it's a contender.
Again, thanks for your time guy's.....
With a Moser 9 inch rear you have to bolt the fully assembled center section into the housing.
You also need to reuse your 10 bolts brake backing plates. At the link that I provided above, I have step by step instructions shown along with pictures. The Moser 9 inch comes with a larger 1350 yoke, so to reuse the factory driveshaft you need the Napa 447 conversion u joint. Please keep in mind that many people break the factory driveshaft, so it would be a great idea to also upgrade the driveshaft at the same time, then you won't need the conversion u joint.
The housing is .25 larger in diameter than the 10 bolt housing, so the two 3 inch u bolts are used to bolt the sway bar on. You only use the U part of the clamp, slip it over the axle housing tubes and reuse the bottom part of the stock sway bar brackets.
A Moser rear ships out two days after the order is received. A Strange rear takes three to four weeks to ship out.
Hopefully this helps. Bob
Old 10-09-2008, 06:42 AM
11 Second Club

Its EXTREMELY easy to assemble the Moser, my 7 month old baby almost put it all together . Seriously though, You take the axles to a machine shop and have them press the reluctor rings on bearings and race. Then you bolt in the center sections, slide axles in, install in car and your done. As Bob said about the Driveshaft, its a good idea to upgrade but if your short on cash, its not required. Im pullin 1.60x 60ft times and mines still together...knock on wood
Old 10-09-2008, 08:39 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Its EXTREMELY easy to assemble the Moser, my 7 month old baby almost put it all together . Seriously though, You take the axles to a machine shop and have them press the reluctor rings on bearings and race. Then you bolt in the center sections, slide axles in, install in car and your done. As Bob said about the Driveshaft, its a good idea to upgrade but if your short on cash, its not required. Im pullin 1.60x 60ft times and mines still together...knock on wood
Bob
Old 10-09-2008, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

I had a Fab 9" built by Midwest Chassis, Eric fully assembled the rearend for me and it was bolt right in, no need for 3" u-bolts for the sway bar as it has stock perches to bolt to. You would need to send him the brake backing plates as well as the reluctors. Not sure what you are looking to spend but Eric is very reasonable and the more you buy the better it gets.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS1875
I had a Fab 9" built by Midwest Chassis, Eric fully assembled the rearend for me and it was bolt right in, no need for 3" u-bolts for the sway bar as it has stock perches to bolt to. You would need to send him the brake backing plates as well as the reluctors.
All the stock stuff is there for mounting sway bar, torque arm etc, you could also order the backing plates and reluctors from him if you wanted...I was going to send mine, but ended up just ordering them out of convenience.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a Fab 9" built by Midwest Chassis, Eric fully assembled the rearend for me and it was bolt right in, no need for 3" u-bolts for the sway bar as it has stock perches to bolt to. You would need to send him the brake backing plates as well as the reluctors. Not sure what you are looking to spend but Eric is very reasonable and the more you buy the better it gets.
I bought the same rear for my car...great quality and like he said Eric gives great deals on parts to go wth it like driveshafts, LCAs, ect.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:07 AM
Staging Lane

Default Thanks again for all the advise guys

Originally Posted by BAD35thSS
MidWest 9"...you might not getting the shipping included free though
Originally Posted by BAD35thSS
All the stock stuff is there for mounting sway bar, torque arm etc, you could also order the backing plates and reluctors from him if you wanted...I was going to send mine, but ended up just ordering them out of convenience.
Originally Posted by MrElectric03
I bought the same rear for my car...great quality and like he said Eric gives great deals on parts to go wth it like driveshafts, LCAs, ect.
Had a pleasant conversation with Eric last night (well his daytime), great guy to speak to. As I need a total "BOLT IN" solution and with the lead time with Strange going into the 4 weeks, I have decided to go with one of Erics Fab 9" with TQ Arm.
Shame that I will have to sell my UMI unit, but I am looking forward to having one of these legendary rear ends
Well Eric if you're watching, just waiting on my quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

You won't be disappointed w/ the MWC 9". They're absolutely a work of art and it's almost a shame they have to go under the car where nobody can see them.
Just got mine installed and am picking the car up tomorrow, can't wait to drive it knowing I don't have to worry about the 10 bolt anymore.
If you need any info about the MWC 9", check out the thread.... https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/829399-midwest-chassis-performance-fab-rearends-new-pics.html ..... or just go to the website.... http://www.midwestchassis.com/
Old 10-16-2008, 02:51 AM
Staging Lane

Default I cant wait for mine !

Originally Posted by kc533
You won't be disappointed w/ the MWC 9". They're absolutely a work of art and it's almost a shame they have to go under the car where nobody can see them.
Just got mine installed and am picking the car up tomorrow, can't wait to drive it knowing I don't have to worry about the 10 bolt anymore.
If you need any info about the MWC 9", check out the thread.... https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829399 ..... or just go to the website.... http://www.midwestchassis.com/
Cool !
Let me know how your install goes, and how it drives
Old 10-17-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was in the same boat you were and choose to go with the Moser 9 inch. I got a great deal on it from Bob and I got to keep my UMI TQ Arm!! That is the only reason why I didn't go with the Midwest
Old 10-18-2008, 03:29 AM
Staging Lane

Default Both great rears...

Originally Posted by 1FASTBIRD
I was in the same boat you were and choose to go with the Moser 9 inch. I got a great deal on it from Bob and I got to keep my UMI TQ Arm!! That is the only reason why I didn't go with the Midwest
My car has been apart so long it's untrue. I havent driven it for months
I would have liked to keep my UMI TQ arm, but I haven't the time for any extra work however small.
The first on my shopping list was a "TOTAL BOLT IN"
That is why I was originally going for a Strange S60 and not the Moser.....
I gave Eric a call and he was going to supply me with the Strange S60, but then going over the posts here and all the postive's about his Fab 9, I asked for a qoute. He was a great guy to speak with, and so in the end I opted for the Fab 9.