Gen 5 Camaro Drivetrain Tech Clutch, torque converter, rear end, axles

Changing clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing clutch

I enjoy turning my own wrenches on my car but have never changed the clutch. I changed my own cam, oil pump, heads and all other associated stuff...no problem. Wondering about the level of difficulty changing the clutch. Would I be able to do that myself, not having done it before? Any special tools needed? Where would I find the best guidance/reference material? Wanting to upgrade to match the higher level of HP coming out of the block. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Should be doable with basic tools but you will need a torque wrench if you don't have one and a cheap clutch alignment tool. Hardest part is getting the car up high enough to get the trans dropped. Should be plenty of videos on youtube.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good deal. Thanks brother. I have plenty torque wrenches and I can certainly get a clutch alignment tool and can raise the car high enough. I realized I needed to get trans away from engine, but does it need to be completely dropped and pulled from under car? Easy enough with a trans jack, but just asking. It's a 2015 Camaro SS.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

You'll most likely have to remove the trans completely, I know on the older transmissions you might be able unbolt the bellhousing and have enough room but I never did it that way, Just didn't make sense to me. It's easier to remove it besides If your Camaro is a V8 model then you likely have a TR6060 and the bellhousing does not come off the trans. You will also have to pay attention to the little things that are easily overlooked like disconnecting the shifter, If your trans is the TR6060 then it has a cooler so you will have to disconnect the lines. If you've done all the work you stated above then the trans should be fairly easy, Nothing real technical about it, Mostly just disconnect/remove/replace/reconnect. The only issue people seem to have is bleeding the clutch/slave cylinder. Tick Performance has a speedbleeder but doesn't seen to list one for your car but I might have overlooked it. It makes bleeding the clutch much easier. Here is a link to give you an idea of what it is/does http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...-firebird-ls1/
Old 10-07-2016, 11:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The entire transmission needs to removed to replace the clutch. Just did my 2010 this spring.

Depending on mileage might want to consider a new slave cylinder while your in there. Definitely the Monster Billet Support and remote bleeder are a must.

Quick Reply: Changing clutch