Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changes for 2011 models

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:07 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
Still not sold on the interior. Until it's changed, I am not even considering. The Mustang, G8, and Challenger all have much nicer interiors.
I like the unique interior and to me that is one of the best things about the car. But everyone has their own preference there.

Originally Posted by MelScrilla
They should offer a V8 with the interior options and weight like a base model V6. Basically a stripper model that would come in under the price of a 1ss. Right now the gen 5 is kinda tough on guys like me that want one but can't afford the almost 500 payment that comes with it.
That would be nice, offer an SS with the V6 brakes and smaller wheels to save $2k or so. The 1ss is the closest thing to a stripper they offer now. I doubt we will see this though, especially if Ford makes the 5.0 and bigger brakes standard on the GT, as that will certainly push the price up.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:22 PM
10 Second Club

I'd like to see new colors, bootsy red yellow and orange
Old 09-11-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rayhawk
That would be nice, offer an SS with the V6 brakes and smaller wheels to save $2k or so. The 1ss is the closest thing to a stripper they offer now. I doubt we will see this though, especially if Ford makes the 5.0 and bigger brakes standard on the GT, as that will certainly push the price up.
I think it would be a good idea because mustangs seem to always undercut the camaro on price. But if Chevy offered something like the "Tuner Version" without a sunroof,big wheels & brakes, and other SS only options; the camaro could come in under the weight of the new 5.0 gt and still top it with HP.

That would also give the guys that want the platform to turn into a performance beast but dont need all the bells and whistles something to play with.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MelScrilla
I think it would be a good idea because mustangs seem to always undercut the camaro on price. But if Chevy offered something like the "Tuner Version" without a sunroof,big wheels & brakes, and other SS only options; the camaro could come in under the weight of the new 5.0 gt and still top it with HP.

That would also give the guys that want the platform to turn into a performance beast but dont need all the bells and whistles something to play with.
The Brembo calipers on the SS are aluminum and actually weigh less than the V6 calipers.

http://www.brembo.com/NR/exeres/B354...DDE468216D.htm

Im all for the tuner package also.
17-18 inch wheels, no sunroof, cloth interior, 4 speaker radio.
Maybe they could use aluminum subframes as well, most newer cars have them. That alone would save quite a bit of weight.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I doubt their going to lessen the weight. Any drop in weight will get it to close to the C6 times. It wont help the sells of the C6 if the Camaro is just as fast with 10,000+ dollars less price tag. They will probably have to wait til the C7 comes out hopefully quicker.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Regular

I think the on-star navigation needs a major overhaul, if you can get a full screen navi on a civic, why can't you get one on a camaro? Heated seats, especially us NYers
Old 09-11-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

...is leather really that much heavier than cloth?

everyone always complains that they want cloth seats to save weight...seriously?!
Old 09-11-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 68Goatboy

everyone always complains that they want cloth seats to save weight...seriously?!
No idea on weight but it is cheaper.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:06 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 68Goatboy

Leather doesn't weight to much more, its the power motors that come with the leather that add the weight.

Now if GM offered Manual Leather seats (toss the 6 way or 8 way powered system) then the weight would be similar, but would cost a little more then cloth.

They could do something like this:
Base option: Manual Cloth seats
Plus 1 option: Manual Leather Seats (similar weight better material)
Plus 2 option: Powered Leather Seats
Heated option (could be added to base, plus 1 or plus 2): Heated Seats

I would like to see GM look into lighter stronger alloys for the frame and sub frames. Chromoly steel comes to mind.
Even though it weights in roughly the same as standard steel material, it is stronger and less can be used to match the strength of the current metal.
Simply put: Thinner tubes of stronger material weigh less while offering the same strength.

The main questions on that change would be:
1. The cost difference of the thick frame standard steel -vs- the thin frame chromoly steel? (How much more would it cost for less metal?)

2. How much weight is saved?
I would like to see it broken down by cost and weight for the Uni-body; Sub Frames (front and rear); Body panels;
internal components of interior (seat frames etc); and Suspension.

3. Can the cost be reduced by changing vendors for the steel? (this one could come into legal issues due to contracts with suppliers for GM).

But if it would say drop the weight of the vehicle by 300 to 500 lbs and only cost 2 to 3k more then it would be worth it in my opinion.

Ironically most of the aftermarket suspension and frame upgrades are made out of chromoly steel. Changing the main cars components to higher quality material could hurt some aftermarket companies.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Tire Smoking Tranny Blowing Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

need to bring back the 1le option
Old 09-15-2009, 10:28 AM
Launching!

one thing i love about the car is the motor platform i love how GM hands you a motor thats bursting with potential i dont think the Ford boys will be giving us much trouble considering theres already guys on here cutting 11's and one i saw break into the 10's one thing about the Chevrolet thats never gonna change is that GM usually holds its cards till last like they did so they can lay down a nice hand it may not appear to be a perfect winner but like i said look at all the room they left us with the LS3! yeah great oooh ford is going back the the 5.0 a completley different architecture thats gonna take time to perfect and time for following and performance parts to come out.. where as Chevrolet is still using OHV and never needed to resort to OHC... as for changes though i just drove one the other day and i think a track pack would be nice i love tall gears but never been a fan of 3.42 i know there too high cuz in my F body when im running 140+ and am at like what 4 grand??? yeah could stand to bump down some strangly enough i cant find anywhere in the US i can run that car up to max speed legally or safely.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

For those who post here, generally speaking, we all modd our cars so stock numbers are somewhat insignificant as compared to what each motor is "capable" of making for power - reliably.

That said, while interior and exterior is all subjective to taste and preference, how about talking about engine bay....compare the 5th gen to a Mustang and ask yourself, where would you rather spend time and money modding? I think the answer is clear, and the 4th gen guys know without a doubt that the 5th gens are so much easier to work on, and have more room for whatever NA or FI project your imagination can come up with....without cutting the cowl!
Old 09-15-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bring the Noise
Leather doesn't weight to much more, its the power motors that come with the leather that add the weight.
About how much does that little motor seat motor weight?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:17 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hc8719
About how much does that little motor seat motor weight?
You have the motor, the electronics, the wiring, the shafts that move the seat along the more complicated track. There is quite a bit more going on with a power seat compared to a manual seat.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think they will save any HUGE changes for when they come out with the Z28. I may be the only one holding on to my hope they do that. They should have put HUD first year. They did that with the C5's which didn't get a HUD option until 2 years after the car started production. I added it to my '98 but still it should have been offered earlier. They had the technology since the early 90's and my '98 even had the cutout for the HUD under the dash already. I think you won't see many changes to the SS except maybe colors and the 'vert option.~Cole~

P.S. i think that Ford in that link is a good lookin' car. So is the Holden though
Old 09-17-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeaneZ28
I doubt their going to lessen the weight. Any drop in weight will get it to close to the C6 times. It wont help the sells of the C6 if the Camaro is just as fast with 10,000+ dollars less price tag. They will probably have to wait til the C7 comes out hopefully quicker.
I dont think a lighter camaro will cut into the C6 sales just because a lighter camaro or the "tuner edition" will have less options and be bare bones even when compared to a 2ss. The people looking to get into a C6 would probably turn their noses up at a Camaro with cloth manual seats, 4 speaker stereo, fixed roof, 17 or 18 inch wheels, standard headlights, and all the other things the high end crowd is used to.

Plus if 1/4 numbers are that big of a deal to gm all they need to do is falsely report them of report the true numbers seeing that alot of the time the factory numbers are with professional drivers anyway.

My only concern would be a V8 camaro that could be had for under the price of a V8 mustang and one that you wouldn't feel guilty about ripping into right after you buy it.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by k8busa
I never got the hype with the magical 5.0. It was a 200 and some odd hp motor, what is there to get excited about ??
The same reason the LS-series is popular; responds well to mods. You also have to remember technology wasn't what it is today back then.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bmxmon
The same reason the LS-series is popular; responds well to mods. You also have to remember technology wasn't what it is today back then.
And the cars were a lot lighter as well, especially the mustang at the time.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rayhawk
And the cars were a lot lighter as well, especially the mustang at the time.
3200-3300 lbs is light...not that light though. The old 5.0s or should I say (4.9s) weighed in this range. Goin 15 second 1/4 ers isnt a great accomplishment.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SS02
3200-3300 lbs is light...not that light though. The old 5.0s or should I say (4.9s) weighed in this range. Goin 15 second 1/4 ers isnt a great accomplishment.
It was decent at the time, at least until the LT1 came out.

Quick Reply: Changes for 2011 models