Gen 5 Camaro External Bolt-On Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1. The fastest most powerful camaro ever!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they should' offer the ZL1 without anything except AC & a Stereo. cutout alot of the sound deadening/damping material, etc. let everything be an option outside of the powertrain. Probably cut 5-7k from the price and a few hundred pounds lighter. you could have either a stripped down almost factory hot rod or a loaded up near luxury one.

my friend who owns a performance shop here in Toms River is ordering one as soon as the dealer can (dealer says October and production will begin in march '12). Dealer's rep has been following the progreaaion closely and says they (GM) wanted to keep it around 47k but found it impossible due to the magnetic ride control. it'll probably be around $52k, according to him.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TonyGXP
they should' offer the ZL1 without anything except AC & a Stereo. cutout alot of the sound deadening/damping material, etc. let everything be an option outside of the powertrain. Probably cut 5-7k from the price and a few hundred pounds lighter. you could have either a stripped down almost factory hot rod or a loaded up near luxury one.

my friend who owns a performance shop here in Toms River is ordering one as soon as the dealer can (dealer says October and production will begin in march '12). Dealer's rep has been following the progreaaion closely and says they (GM) wanted to keep it around 47k but found it impossible due to the magnetic ride control. it'll probably be around $52k, according to him.
matt! he said he was getting one that BSer. LOL.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyGXP

That would be cool...but they wont do it for production cost reasons.

The less options the more streamlined and efficient the build process is. The ZL-1 will likely come with everything the 2SS offers plus a couple extra exclusive options would be my guess.

They did say they worked on mass reduction. The only concrete thing we know of so far is 22lbs lighter for the wheels and a large portion of the hood is carbon. They added quite a bit of weight with the supercharger and the iron differential though. That is probably 200lbs right their. My guess is the car will be right around 4k pounds. (guessing by looking at the SS manual at 3860)

Quick Reply: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1. The fastest most powerful camaro ever!