Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing Kooks headers, have questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 10:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default installing Kooks headers, have questions

Planning on installing a set of Kooks headers on a co-workers 2010 SS.

Do we need longer front 02s? Part # plz.
Do we need o2 sims for the rears or just leave them unplugged till he gets tuned next spring?
Any install issues, tips or tricks for us?
Old 08-20-2011, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Do we need longer front 02s? Part # plz.
Are the headers used? Mine came with extensions if I remember correctly. If you don't have them, I would look here

Do we need o2 sims for the rears or just leave them unplugged till he gets tuned next spring?
I installed both front and back and drove it for 2-3 weeks before my light came on. I then had it tuned. I've heard guys having luck keeping the light off with O2 spacers. Either way, I'm fairly certain the rear O2's are only to detect catalytic efficiency.

Any install issues, tips or tricks for us?
These cars are SUPER easy. I installed mine on a set of jack stands in my garage by my lonesome in 2-2.5 hrs. The only thing that might be useful is to try and remove the O2's while the exhaust is at full temp. Some people have reported having issues with the threads being galled & said they were much easier to remove when hot. If you try and use a torch, be careful not to get the sensor too hot.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

He bought new Kooks headers and just bought there cat back setup that goes with the headers. Not sure if they gave him 02 extensions. If I remember right, I plugged vette 02s into my front plugs and installed them into header collectors. The rears were tuned out.

Same method for the new camaro? or should I just buy the longer pigtail and use stock front 02s into collector and have rears tuned out?
Old 09-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Only advise I have is use the factory GM exhaust gaskets...when I bought my Kooks from maryland speed that's what they recomended b/c the gm gasket is better than the kooks

Quick Reply: installing Kooks headers, have questions