Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cold air intake

what do you guys think is the best cold air intake, slp, k&N, AIR AIDE, volant for my 2012 camaro ss. thank you
Old 01-22-2012, 05:18 AM
Launching!

None that you listed.

Cold Air Inductions, ADM and Halltech.

Halltech is the only one out of the top 3 that will not give you heat soak. ADM and CAI both use aluminum tubes that heat up after driving and cause your air intake temps and your under hood temps to go up. Halltech comes with an inverted tip filter that lets in more air and the others don't.

All of those will give you 14rwhp more. If you get a ADM scoop with washer bottle replacement you will get an additional 4rwhp. The ADM scoop will work with all three.

Jannetty racing did tests on all aftermarket air intakes and these were the top 3.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

Roto-fab
Old 01-22-2012, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by glennster
Roto-fab
Old 01-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Roto Fab will give you 5rwhp more than stock
Old 01-22-2012, 10:36 PM
11 Second Club

None of them give much over stock. I ran a vararam and liked the throttle response but lost a tenth at the track. Plus the damn neck tweaked, they warranted it and it did it again, its gone.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

K&N has a lot of experience and is a quality product, but is it really cold-air by definition?
Old 01-22-2012, 11:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by No Hope
None that you listed.

Cold Air Inductions, ADM and Halltech.

Halltech is the only one out of the top 3 that will not give you heat soak. ADM and CAI both use aluminum tubes that heat up after driving and cause your air intake temps and your under hood temps to go up. Halltech comes with an inverted tip filter that lets in more air and the others don't.

All of those will give you 14rwhp more. If you get a ADM scoop with washer bottle replacement you will get an additional 4rwhp. The ADM scoop will work with all three.

Jannetty racing did tests on all aftermarket air intakes and these were the top 3.
+1, those are the top 3. I have the Halltech and it is very nice. I also added the ADM scoop to it.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nexus9
K&N has a lot of experience and is a quality product, but is it really cold-air by definition?
K&N will add 9 rwhp
Old 01-23-2012, 03:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by navyblueSS
+1, those are the top 3. I have the Halltech and it is very nice. I also added the ADM scoop to it.

The scoop is a big plus but even if someone can't or doesn't want to cut the shroud and bolt in the scoop, moving the washer bottle is a must if your putting in an after market air intake.

The washer bottle sits below the air intake area and prevents cold air from being brought in from the ground. Its cheap and easy to do, if you can put in an air intake you can move the washer bottle.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:48 AM
Banned

dyn othe **** before and after. I'll LOLOL when you lose power
Old 01-23-2012, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RyanEricW
dyn othe **** before and after. I'll LOLOL when you lose power
I think you are onto something.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roto Fab will give you 5rwhp more than stock
If that's the case then so will all the other CAI's.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dark SS
If that's the case then so will all the other CAI's.
I'm getting these numbers from the Jannetty Racing Air Intake Results. Google it.

Ted Jannetty has a good rep as being an honest guy. He tested all the air intakes and the results were an eye opener. Hennessy was last, you actually lost HP with them. Some of the other big names were big duds.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...results&page=6
Old 01-23-2012, 08:24 PM
11 Second Club

I'm getting these numbers from the Jannetty Racing Air Intake Results. Google it.

Ted Jannetty has a good rep as being an honest guy. He tested all the air intakes and the results were an eye opener. Hennessy was last, you actually lost HP with them. Some of the other big names were big duds.

This test may be biased from the fact I think the computer is rich to begin with and an install and dyno run may give gain and the computer taketh away later. My 2 cents and experience with a vararam. Great at first, felt a gain but maybe not so much at WOT as stock. After a 100 mile learn it went a tenth slower at the track in better weather, took it off, went back to stock and felt no loss. Back to the track a few weeks later and car was batshit fast. WTF.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by glennster
This test may be biased from the fact I think the computer is rich to begin with and an install and dyno run may give gain and the computer taketh away later. My 2 cents and experience with a vararam. Great at first, felt a gain but maybe not so much at WOT as stock. After a 100 mile learn it went a tenth slower at the track in better weather, took it off, went back to stock and felt no loss. Back to the track a few weeks later and car was batshit fast. WTF.
absolutely , I have said it a 1000 times, if your not going to Dyno tune the car don't bother adding bolt on's. If you don't have headers then don't bother adding a air intake because if you can't get it out you wont get it in.

Another thing that you have to consider is what type of racing you do. These test were done to simulate a car a the drag strip. If you do a lot of street racing like I do you have to consider heat soak. I've never owned a Vararam but it sits over the radiator so heat soak might be a factor.

Did you have your car Dyno'ed after you installed the Vararam?
Old 01-23-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen that test since he did it. My car constantly dyno'd higher numbers than most others on the Speed Inc. dyno and I had a Roto-Fab. I also had some every bolt-on but IMO the Roto-Fab is the best intake on the market and I never saw any power left on the table from it. It seems like the people Camaro5 take Janetty's word as gospel.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:38 PM
11 Second Club

No, never dynoed. I installed dynatechs and gutted cats I got used and had coated plus the hurst shifter [love it] Made a huge difference but car went into storage so didn't bother with the tune. I just bought a used roto-fab for $175 shipped and an unlocked SCT tuner for $100. I'm adding these and a pulley then getting a Jannetty tune. I think I can drive it to low 12's maybe better with a tire.

Love this car!
Old 01-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dark SS
I've seen that test since he did it. My car constantly dyno'd higher numbers than most others on the Speed Inc. dyno and I had a Roto-Fab. I also had some every bolt-on but IMO the Roto-Fab is the best intake on the market and I never saw any power left on the table from it. It seems like the people Camaro5 take Janetty's word as gospel.
Dyno's all read different whats important is the gains made. I don't trust anything on the Camaro5 website except for Jannetty. I've never had a Roto Fab so I can't say if his finding are true for that brand. I bought a Cold Air Inductions intake and I got 18rwhp more with the scoop. It was checked before and after CAI installation.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:09 PM
11 Second Club

Dyno's all read different whats important is the gains made. I don't trust anything on the Camaro5 website except for Jannetty. I've never had a Roto Fab so I can't say if his finding are true for that brand. I bought a Cold Air Inductions intake and I got 18rwhp more with the scoop. It was checked before and after CAI installation.
To discount a whole site from having issues with a few individuals is kinda paranoid. Are they out to get you? J/K
Jannettys personal thread about his experience at a drag strip with a vararam was 3 tenths, why didn't you trust that? Dyno's or what should runs don't help unless it works for me. Vararam didn't and the 2 I had creased the neck and looked like ****, I sold the 3rd one they sent me.

Quick Reply: cold air intake