Gen 5 Camaro Racing Tech, Results Drag racing, road racing, street racing. Share tech & results!

12.6s Stock!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowFRC
The DA was in the 1200-1300s if I remember right.

If you want to be a **** and call his times BS then you drastically reduce the amount of people who can compete for the bone stock record. If royal purple oil is a mod then almost no one who races will be "bone stock" and all of the bone stock times won't be that great due to less competition.

Car ran a 12.6 at over 110 with MAYBE 10 flywheel hp over stock, still great times if you ask me.
Exactly. It seems people who compete in their cars understand the real definition of stock.. or at least the more current/updated definition.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Calling a K&N filter a "modification" is like calling a "drug dealer" an "unlicensed pharmacist", B.S. It's just an air filter, nothing more. I saw one of the new Camaros run a couple of weeks ago and it's major problem was wheel hop. It ran 13.6 @ 107.9, going through the traps in third gear. The owner said he got 22.5 mpg on the trip down to Tulsa into a 20 mph headwind and would probably get around 25 mpgs, with the tail wind on the way home.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Wow, the "STOCK" ***** really know how to strut their stuff around here!

First, congrats on the best stock time I have seen so far

Second, it is stock by every definition except your own stock **** definition....no one would argue if the intake piping had been changed, etc that is wasn't stock...but just a filter swap....GOOD GRIEF!!

Congrats again on your STOCK time
Old 11-18-2009, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Wow, the "STOCK" ***** really know how to strut their stuff around here!

First, congrats on the best stock time I have seen so far

Second, it is stock by every definition except your own stock **** definition....no one would argue if the intake piping had been changed, etc that is wasn't stock...but just a filter swap....GOOD GRIEF!!

Congrats again on your STOCK time
I'm going to have to agree. That car is stock. I'm sure the air pressure in the tires aren't the same now as it was when it came off the line, So you going to consider it not stock?
Its a filter not a CAI. I doubt it gain 1hp and probably only helped by .01 in times.

Congrats on a great time.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the people caslling it stock.. RP and other synthetics's are proven to make power (small amounts but still power) and allow the engine to go threw the RPM's faster...... can't agure that as a mod but I am sure people will......

I went from dyno oil to synthetic in the engine and rear in my old 96 and the difference was impressive.

I guess it would then be ok to run a 160 t stat..... it is nothing big.... just lowers the engine temps making power......then might as well pull the emmisions stuff and the cats..... alls those do is clean the exhaust.... they don't make power or anything......

The people that compete comment is just funny....... just people there is nothing special past or present in someone's sig does not mean anything........

I guess this site has just changed a lot in the last few years..... like I said, a few years ago a filter was not stock and the guys trying to break into the 12's stock in the 98 cars had the filter and oil that the car came with from GM and the people with filters were brushed aside....... all well.

Congrats though on the time...... impressive for how heavy those cars are...
Old 11-18-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Doesn’t the 5th Gen come with mobile 1 synthetic oil already? If so changing brands wouldn't be a mod IMO.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen tests showing that K&N filters hinder performance, not improve it..

!!!!! At you people saying royal purple makes it not stock.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JeaneZ28
Doesn’t the 5th Gen come with mobile 1 synthetic oil already? If so changing brands wouldn't be a mod IMO.
Doubt the tranny fluid and rear end fluid are synthetic.

If it is then the arguments are mute.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Launching!

Anybody saying that the car is not stock is retarded. I agree with the one guy that said he had a different oil filter and the other guy with the air difference in the tires would it be considered stock. And to the guy that said he had a 96 that changed to synthetics and seen impressive gains, well that is lame and apparently you have never had a fast *** car to start telling gains from changing your oil to synthetic.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Doubt the tranny fluid and rear end fluid are synthetic.

If it is then the arguments are mute.
I believe all the new gm autos use dexron vi which is synthetic.The rear end fluid is synthetic also. Here is a link to the fluid and the camaro's owners manual.

http://origin-chevrolet-prod-iad.pna...aro_owners.pdf

http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...D&ProdID=21329

So once again the car is bone stock!

Last edited by JeaneZ28; 11-18-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nosaj
Anybody saying that the car is not stock is retarded. I agree with the one guy that said he had a different oil filter and the other guy with the air difference in the tires would it be considered stock. And to the guy that said he had a 96 that changed to synthetics and seen impressive gains, well that is lame and apparently you have never had a fast *** car to start telling gains from changing your oil to synthetic.
My last car went 10.4@136 (notice the high 9 sec MPH) spinning hard on 7 cylinders, a stall acting up, and a 150 shot......... second stage had a 300 shot in it....... never got times with it (300) but it took it just fine and never ran it with it hooking.... but I am sure your past rides were a lot lot lot faster the way your talking............

To bad I never took it to the track hooking on 8 cylinders and the 300 out of the hole.

Yeah never had anything fast................ the 96 was fairly quick for what it was also.............

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 11-18-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:43 PM
Teching In

NOT stock & warranty voided!

Funny how when someone new comes along and asks about a drop-in K&N the consensus is always it's a complete waste, you'll be lucky to see 1-2hp gain. In cases like this they add 10+. If someone puts on 3 coats of wax and goes to the track and runs great times, is that considered non-stock? Does everyone need to wash vigorously with Dawn first to keep things stock?

What if you were about to race someone:

Guy1: Are you stock?
Guy2: No.
Guy1: What is it? Intake, tune, exhaust? Cam & headers? Spraying?
Guy2: K&N drop-in and RP fluids.

Would you keep a straight face?
Old 11-19-2009, 01:39 AM
Launching!

My last car went 10.4@136 (notice the high 9 sec MPH) spinning hard on 7 cylinders, a stall acting up, and a 150 shot......... second stage had a 300 shot in it....... never got times with it (300) but it took it just fine and never ran it with it hooking.... but I am sure your past rides were a lot lot lot faster the way your talking............

To bad I never took it to the track hooking on 8 cylinders and the 300 out of the hole.

Yeah never had anything fast................ the 96 was fairly quick for what it was also.............

I am not saying I have had the fastest cars but my last mustang was my dd and has been 9.4 on 17s still with the a/c and all the dd goodies. All I am saying is that I have never heard anybody say they have had impressive gains from changing to synthetics. Sounds like something the guy with the buick at the local track running 10.80 in the 1/8th would say. Fluids and filters are not mods, just maintenance.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:42 AM
Staging Lane

"Im not going to lie ive put royal purple in the whole car and a K@N oil and air filter thats it"

"Running a K&N in the factory airbox doesn't count as a mod."

Yeah..........

They should change it to FACTORY BONE STOCK.
SHouldnt matter one bit. a drop in filter is nothing but a more expensive filter. if there was no change to the physical intake than i see NO reason to argue that it isnt stock.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Kyuss
NOT stock & warranty voided!

Funny how when someone new comes along and asks about a drop-in K&N the consensus is always it's a complete waste, you'll be lucky to see 1-2hp gain. In cases like this they add 10+. If someone puts on 3 coats of wax and goes to the track and runs great times, is that considered non-stock? Does everyone need to wash vigorously with Dawn first to keep things stock?

What if you were about to race someone:

Guy1: Are you stock?
Guy2: No.
Guy1: What is it? Intake, tune, exhaust? Cam & headers? Spraying?
Guy2: K&N drop-in and RP fluids.

Would you keep a straight face?
Nope... i would die laughing.... thats like when you ask for a mod list and a ricer replies... "yea... i got the jvc head unit with the sony xplod speakers. oh and some vinyl... yea its pretty quick....." Wait huH? lol! i swear i had that happen atleast 2 times.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:49 AM
Staging Lane

You cant base mods like oil... CAI's hell even a catback at the track... Too many variables.... Who ran before you... what temp your tires were at... how much you slipped the clutch... i could go on and on... i hate when people do that... the only real way to see an improvement is if you do a couple mods... or single mods like supercharger.... nitrous... i dunno... i've always been annoyed by "you'll drop 2 tenths" how bout "you'll gain x amount of hp"
Old 11-19-2009, 06:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Not to downplay this but Ive heard of a few LS1's running 12.70's stock lol...One being a 98 Formula 6spd @ englishtown.

Last edited by MonmouthCtyLS7; 11-19-2009 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:26 AM
12 Second Club

Wow, people should go and slap themselves after trying to argue it's not stock. OP, that's badass
Old 11-19-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I really dont see the point in all this bs internet racing to see who has the fastest with xx setup. There is always someone faster so why can't people just be happy with running good times for their set up?

I don't think the owner of this car was trying to say he is the fastest stock, but instead just stating his times in a relatively stock car. If you read the OP he never claims to be the fastest anything.

All this whining and crying about what is stock and what isn't really gets old fast, lets not ruin this thread like all the others.

To get back on topic... Dont most 2010's trap 110? 110 is easily 12 second territory with a decent short time, I dont see why everyone is so surprised.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by stoverz28
I really dont see the point in all this bs internet racing to see who has the fastest with xx setup. There is always someone faster so why can't people just be happy with running good times for their set up?

I don't think the owner of this car was trying to say he is the fastest stock, but instead just stating his times in a relatively stock car. If you read the OP he never claims to be the fastest anything.

All this whining and crying about what is stock and what isn't really gets old fast, lets not ruin this thread like all the others.

To get back on topic... Dont most 2010's trap 110? 110 is easily 12 second territory with a decent short time, I dont see why everyone is so surprised.
Think your the only one whining...all that to say absolutely nothing lol.

Quick Reply: 12.6s Stock!