Gen 5 Camaro Racing Tech, Results Drag racing, road racing, street racing. Share tech & results!

12.6s Stock!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone who says this car isnt stock is a non racing tool
Old 11-19-2009, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stoverz28
I thought most stock 2010's have been trapping 110 .
Ditto...
Old 11-19-2009, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

I think its a great run but I dont consider it "stock" my self. To me stock is the way it rolled off the showroom floor. Dont hate,
Old 11-20-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nosaj
I am not saying I have had the fastest cars but my last mustang was my dd and has been 9.4 on 17s still with the a/c and all the dd goodies. All I am saying is that I have never heard anybody say they have had impressive gains from changing to synthetics. Sounds like something the guy with the buick at the local track running 10.80 in the 1/8th would say. Fluids and filters are not mods, just maintenance.
Never ever said there was impressive gains....... said the change was impressive......... maybe next time I should go more into detail and say it was impressive because the car reved quite a bit faster and blew the tires off a bit easier........ meaning more power.....

My car that I mentioned above was an 83Z with 26k original miles and was full power down to rear whiper and did not even have ported heads or intake and everything was early 90's technology on a ported 850 carb......... It was built to be super streetable and only had a 4000 stall. But from the way you were talking it was like I was some idiot who has driven Hoda Fits all his life... and you and I know that the A/C really does not weigh much so no point in mentioning it and the power stuff really does not weight much... trust me. I have pulled it all before and the weight was not even worth pulling when I was done.......... so when people say they have A/C and all that crap I just laugh.... the last A/C compressor that weighed anything was like in the 80's. The only thing impressive is the 17's.......

Like I said, it is a mute point since it seems the car came from the factory with synthics (yeah pie in my face all well) but to me and man a mod is changing anything that does not come from the factory (who cares if they just change brand oil)........... give someone an inch and they will take a mile.... soon there will be people that say they are stock even with a factory filter but will have the cats gone, no emmisions, weight pulled that you can or can't see (spare and stuff) and soon stock will be not including weight reduction, cats, emmisons... ect ect..... Ive seen guys around here local go yeah the car is stock.......... then come to find out they gutted it........ one guy had a hatch Honda with a GSR swap that he said was stock and a DD....... it had two seats, and a dash and the shifter......... thats it....... no whipers, door pannels everything................

I can remember not long ago when stock was factory stock.... even way back in the say it was like that.... then you know it was as it was from the dealer....... I think there was a class even called show room stock...... all well, have a good one guys and to the non racing tool comment..... I love internet tuff guys.........

Now if this guy really wanted to shut people up he could put the factory filter back in and the same fluids from the factory just to be safe and run it at the same track with roughly the same temps and DA and then run the same time or better.......

Will he or others do it? I seriously doubt it.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 11-20-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

If only GM would offer a high flow filter as a factory option, that would close this stupid debate. As for oil, I wouldnt believe putting different oil in the engine could give me any hp...cant count as mod seriously.

If my memory serves me well, sometimes you see good gain from an air filter, seen it often in the dyno section.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
If only GM would offer a high flow filter as a factory option, that would close this stupid debate. As for oil, I wouldnt believe putting different oil in the engine could give me any hp...cant count as mod seriously.

If my memory serves me well, sometimes you see good gain from an air filter, seen it often in the dyno section.
The oil debate was comparing dino oil to synthetic... you do gain HP going to synthetic........ it was then later found that the 2010 car comes with synthetic fron to back and that was the end of it.

I know the show Trucks or whatevver on Spike a few years ago and took a truck with dino oil front to back and swaped in synthetic and they picked up at least 5 hp... I want to say it was 8. Keep in mind if you go from heavier oil to a lighter weight oil this will also affect it.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rescue Ranger
A K&N Filter is not a gain.

I ran my LS1 at East Side Performance's dyno with a dirty *** K&N filter, made 408whp (Basic heads/cams) and made 411 with NO air filter. I could dig out the dyno sheets somewhere..

Its not a mod, its a filter. In stock class competition in all venues of the SCCA, which allows NO modifications to the engine, allows any filter because it doesn't make a difference.

His car is still 100% stock.
This.

An air filter? Seriously?

Some major asshatery going on here and over there...
Old 11-23-2009, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Johnnystock

Are you ******* kidding me? And air intake system, not a filter, changed maybe 5hp on the dyno, AFTER tuning.

I LOST hp after swapping to the lame K&N filter vs paper. Its just cheaper to maintain considering it will last the life of the car with proper maintenance.

I'm baffled by how many people are seriously split here. That ******* car is stock.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Either way 12.6 with just a KN filter is good.

Where did he run at? Venus?
Old 11-23-2009, 04:05 AM
Launching!

Royal purple gives it like 30 extra horsepowers. Well, it better for what it sells for!

What a JOKE of an oil.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

wow. If any of you didn't noticed the OP said this car wasn't his. So quit congratulating him on the times. Geez. And the car is STOCK. If I bought one and put 100k miles on it, but never did any upgrades other than oil changes and fikter changes, and ran a record time. Would someone really say it isn't stock? Come on!!! Changing fluids and filters is not a mod, it's just part of necessary maintenance.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:44 PM
10 Second Club

Those are still impressive times for such a heavy car. Like all LS motors, the LS3 seems to really wake up with breakin miles but it's such a great motor anyway. I would be curious to some dyno numbers on that car.

FWIW -I'm the original owner of my TA and back in '99 I ran 13.2 @ 105 mph stock in my TA with about 15k miles on the clock in cool weather. Only changes were oil (dino) and a Fram air filter. Otherwise it was bone stock down to the plugs, etc.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

car is stock...

air filter mod? I should add that to my sig...
Old 11-29-2009, 10:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the oem filter should be put back in. Go back to the track and try to beat the 12.6.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:12 AM
Staging Lane

there was a white ss auto running 12.7s @106-108ish at atco this past weekend with temp tags still in the window and looked bone stock to me.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

He should have ran NO air filter so these retards would stop this page-after-page debate. The ****** car is stock. Don't bash him cuz your jealous
Old 12-02-2009, 11:48 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
I guess it would then be ok to run a 160 t stat..... it is nothing big.... just lowers the engine temps making power...
Off topic, but I have to disagree with this statement. Cold engine temps don't make power, it's the cold air charge that you want.

Air intake temps being equal, and with proper octane for the timing curve/compression, you'll make more power with the heads nice and warm. 190-200 would be great. Some engine builders might even argue hotter.

I don't like 160 stats in anything, especially LSx motors. I wouldn't even use one in an SBC. 180 stat works best (with proper fan settings), IMO, and keeps the heads right around 190-200.

Most LS1s run their best times (in N/A form) when hot lapping. My WS6 used to as well.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:37 PM
11 Second Club

Stock or not, what it shows me is the 10 SS has the gusto to step to some nice bolt on **** out there in the race world. If its knocking down 12.6s in +1,300 DA lets just say it would hold its own against most bolt on LSx cars that see +1,500ft DA. Where I'm at, thats the lowest it will get before you cant hook to the cold ground anymore. Last time I checked, there is plenty of places across the US where the ASL is at least 1,000ft or more. So if your altitude is say, 1,500 ft ASL it needs to be down to like 58 some odd degrees, with decent barometric pressure and humidity below 60% to see that. Most of the US is going to be higher than that as far as DA, so imagine a normal fall/winter day in the afternoon and sitting at a stoplight when that car rolls up. Do you run faster than 12.6? If your anywhere near or below but still close to that time its going to be a long race into big jail time speeds. Thats a solid time for a filter/oil only car, especially an M6 from a dig.

Just wait for the bolt-on, no TM, stalled L99s to get going. Some headers/mids, torque converter/cooler, a nice HPTuners write and some DRs will start to make some other bolt on cars real sad if they dont hurry up an mod more.

Last edited by CoolAid; 12-02-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love how someone always gets offended and pulls out their "it woulda ran 9s" card, then gives said reasons it didnt.

Anyways congrats to whoever the owner is on the STOCK car. I think mid 12s is hauling the mail in a heavy car.

FWIW I think when owners put about 20k on their new SS they will run even faster. you know they are gonna run faster the more they drive them..more seat time, more time for the parts to properly break in.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Teching In

LOL all this complaining about stock oem factory with that stock chip!

It could have n20, flows, and a 9" and it's still mustang stock.

Amazing times... and great driving!

Quick Reply: 12.6s Stock!