Gen 5 Camaro Special Edition Vehicles ZL1 | Z28 | 1LE

zl1 owners id like some feedback

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile zl1 owners id like some feedback

with black friday going on i found a zl1 heavily discounted at a dealer nearby. assuming i qualify for every discount its a great deal.

even so,for me its a lot of money so id like your opinion of this car. this one is an m6 which is fine. the one thing is it has no sunroof which i really prefer. ive driven a 5th gen with them open and its really a fun option. i guess i could go without one if i get the deal i want.

but my question is this car will be my daily driver. so how are they in colder climates? i dont drive far to work but every RWD ive ever owned sucked *** in snow lol. its my fault for not having the right tires and im assuming zl1s dont come with all seasons? lol

i wont be heavily modifying this car so im not concerned with it holding up under a ton of power.

but my question is are they worth the money or should i just hold out for a 6th gen?

thanks.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not daily drive mine, but I know when it is cold out the factory good years will not hook and some guys even see cracking. There are a couple guys running snow tires I have seen. Would I do that, no, but I give the guy who does a lot of props.

I know you said you do not plan on modifying if you do indeed purchase one. If you do, you have an excellent platform to work off of. Guys are running 700rwhp on the factory clutch including myself, you don't have to touch the suspension or rear either, like you do in the F-Body or even the Gen5 SS to accommodate the power increase. I will put a Monster clutch in the car once the stock piece goes.

As far as the 6th Gen goes, it going to have to live up to a lot going up against the ZL1 from the durability aspect.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

I had an 11 CTS-V that I daily drove all year, summer's on 20 in forged and blizzaks on the stockers in the winter. I swear that winter tires on that car got me around better in snow than mud's on the many lifted 4wd trucks I've had. I drove past many suv's etc that were stuck, because all seasons are not at all made for actual snow (article on Car & Driver on this last month).

I loved the LSA so much I just swapped one (or an LSA supercharged L92) into my recent 72 Camaro build (but I won't be driving that one in winter lol).
Old 11-14-2015, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Oh, and the other good thing about winter tires (beside excuse to buy forged wheels for summer) is that it isn't an extra cost, tires are consumable and you have to replace them anyways, winters are just pull ahead of some of that cost as it saves you other tires the miles.

Quick Reply: zl1 owners id like some feedback