Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Camaro and Volt SAVE CHEVY

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008 | 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
The true problem is that they did it too late, so everyone prefer to get an import DD(like you)because of the reputation GM got in the last years, not because of the real actual value of the car in 08-09'...
i would buy an import becuase i prefer most of the imports not becuase of any opinion agains GM, but if i was to buy a two door FWD it would probably be a Nissan Altima Coupe with the 3.5v6, my gf has one and it is nice inside and out, gets 30 mpg and has the ***** to pass people when i need too. I like cobalts and would have no problem with a Cobalt SS other then that i dont like performance oriented cars for DD duty.
Old 12-28-2008 | 11:14 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bboyxclub
This is true I have driven Cobalts and ther are much nicer that my familys YARIS and also rented the Malibu a couple of weeks ago at Canada and It was really comfortable + 1 for a daily driver.

By the way the interior on the Malibu Much better than the plastic inserts interior look on the camry.
Old 12-29-2008 | 12:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bboyxclub
This is true I have driven Cobalts and ther are much nicer that my familys YARIS and also rented the Malibu a couple of weeks ago at Canada and It was really comfortable + 1 for a daily driver.

By the way the interior on the Malibu Much better than the plastic inserts interior look on the camry.
What about the reliability of both cars. According to the average American which car do you think they will go for. The one that is known for reliability or the one with the nice interior but real shitty reliability. How long do you think a cobalt will last. Probably not even half of what a camry would last. You just reminded me of something. Don't judge a book by its cover. Don't judge a car by its looks because it may be the ugliest thing on the outside but could be one the of the best cars to drive or it may be very pretty and suck like no other.
Old 12-29-2008 | 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Default Reliability

All I have is my personal experience with my GM products...including my 1998 Trans Am, with over 220,000 miles, minimal maintenance, ie. 2nd set of plugs, 2nd clutch, 5-8k mile oil changes, successfully driving it daily into its 12th year.
I know Toyotas are fine cars, and the Big 3 made a bunch of rolling garbage through the 70's and 80's, but I'd put most any of the 2000's up against their Asian competitors. Our parent's concept of American cars wearing-out at 100K miles needs to go the way of the carburetor and distributor cap. We all have our favorites, I too like the Nissan Altima from my experiences driving rentals, but I would not want a Subaru, or most Toyotas, and in turn, I don't care for most Chryslers, or Fords for that matter. But, I would no longer make the blanket statement that Asian cars will last more miles or be more reliable than US makes. Experience with 3 of my wife's former Hondas has told me that the lot at the Honda/Toyota mechanic's shop is always very full of work.
Old 12-29-2008 | 06:24 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Question

Originally Posted by stevenp
What about the reliability of both cars. According to the average American which car do you think they will go for. The one that is known for reliability or the one with the nice interior but real shitty reliability.
Shitty reliability? The new Malibu?
You're either full of **** and/or thoroughly brainwashed by Japan on that one pal.

How long do you think a cobalt will last.
Pretty long actually, maybe not quite as long as some of it's import competition (which by the way would be a Civic or Corolla, NOT a Camry) but you can get a brand new Cobalt for $13k right now, that leaves enough cash leftover for a lot of mods or even a nice used LS1 F-body when compared to the other two which aren't necessarily better anyway.
Less bias, more reality, please.
Old 12-29-2008 | 07:20 PM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

uhmm, talk about reliability;
relying on my personnal experience, my celica was the worst car I ever had and along with my civic(one had the worst electric problem along with starter, lights motor and the other with a blown engine+rust eating the 2 cars because of paint quality). Every other car I had were american; caprice, metro, cobalt(still brand new), Camaro SS, contour and they were much more reliable than the imports I had before. Plus the repair cost was always lower.

Dont get me wrong, I will not tell you that a nice interior make it up for shitty reliability, not my point. I was saying that because auto mags complained for decades about the superior quality of the imports interior.

Anyway, anybody who doesnt know that the new Ecotec engine generation is reliable and fuel efficient is ignorant.

Ive just bought a brand new cobalt for 12750$cad, I'm sure itll be as reliable as any damn imports but it doesnt look like an *** when I'm behind the wheels and the stereo is superior too compare to the average Corolla..Plus I prefer the look and I'm buying from a company that is marketing all my dream cars(Camaro,firebird,Corvette Z06,ZR1,G8 GT)

whatever
Old 12-29-2008 | 07:23 PM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 89IROC
i would buy an import becuase i prefer most of the imports not becuase of any opinion agains GM, but if i was to buy a two door FWD it would probably be a Nissan Altima Coupe with the 3.5v6, my gf has one and it is nice inside and out, gets 30 mpg and has the ***** to pass people when i need too. I like cobalts and would have no problem with a Cobalt SS other then that i dont like performance oriented cars for DD duty.
why not a G8 GT???

and yeah, me too I dont like that, but thats why I have a car for DD purpose and another just for going fast
Old 12-29-2008 | 07:34 PM
Banned

In my personal opinion I would rather buy a honda civic than a cobalt or whatever as a dd, but as performance and speed I'm chevy all the way. Biased doesn't matter only time will tell on which car will continue to drive in 10 years. Who knows maybe gm is doing much better, but what from I have seen from their recent products i.e. Yukons, Tahoes, Hummers. is that many little things break- all their fluff that they put in and I would imagine its the same on their sedans and it gives me reason to believe that all their fluff that they put in cars are not going to last. In ten years we will see who has their car left. The average american with the cobalt or whatever with a lot of fluff or the honda with no fluff- almost barebones. I would imagine the person who has the chevy will trade his/hers in sooner than the honda because they do not have to deal with all the broken fluff and all the continuous trips to the garage so they can have it fixed.

And no I'm not full of **** so dont start that crap with me. Give me facts not empty sentences full of ****. and btw I am talking about the average american who will not want to buy a 13k car so they can have money left over for their ls1- come on who does that in America. Not very many- cause they have other hobbies rather than their f-bodies or mustangs.
Old 12-30-2008 | 01:37 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Who knows maybe gm is doing much better
They are. Their cars are NIGHT AND DAY better than they were even just 5 years ago.

In ten years we will see who has their car left. The average american with the cobalt or whatever with a lot of fluff or the honda with no fluff- almost barebones. I would imagine the person who has the chevy will trade his/hers in sooner than the honda because they do not have to deal with all the broken fluff and all the continuous trips to the garage so they can have it fixed.
In my personal opinion I would rather buy a honda civic than a cobalt or whatever as a dd
A new Malibu (and maybe even a new Cobalt) is a FAR better vehicle overall than a 4th gen F-body.
Now I still have my 2000 Camaro Z28 that I took delivery of 9 years ago this week and the car has been FLAWLESSLY RELIABLE AND DEPENDABLE and has never been to the garage (as you call it) even once, forget continuously. And the car is even modified and raced to boot!

My point is, my older Camaro was not even supposed to be among the better built GM cars, most people almost expected a model like that to be less than stellar and yet the damn thing is almost perfect ON TOP OF all of the performance that it delivers. So if this car is doing this well than I would have to believe that a new Malibu (or even Cobalt), being far more advanced with more attention to quality/detail, to be an amazing car for the average American seeking a daily driver.
But you go ahead and keep on supporting Japan's economy first and see where your future and the future of your children ends up.
Old 12-30-2008 | 07:01 AM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

^+1 000 000^
Old 12-30-2008 | 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

In my personal opinion I would rather buy a honda civic than a cobalt or whatever as a dd, but as performance and speed I'm chevy all the way. Biased doesn't matter only time will tell on which car will continue to drive in 10 years. Who knows maybe gm is doing much better, but what from I have seen from their recent products i.e. Yukons, Tahoes, Hummers. is that many little things break- all their fluff that they put in and I would imagine its the same on their sedans and it gives me reason to believe that all their fluff that they put in cars are not going to last. In ten years we will see who has their car left. The average american with the cobalt or whatever with a lot of fluff or the honda with no fluff- almost barebones. I would imagine the person who has the chevy will trade his/hers in sooner than the honda because they do not have to deal with all the broken fluff and all the continuous trips to the garage so they can have it fixed.

And no I'm not full of **** so dont start that crap with me. Give me facts not empty sentences full of ****. and btw I am talking about the average american who will not want to buy a 13k car so they can have money left over for their ls1- come on who does that in America. Not very many- cause they have other hobbies rather than their f-bodies or mustangs.

My wife has an 06 honda civic LX, nothing about that car impresses me whatsoever especially for the money for one of them compared to a cobalt.
Old 12-30-2008 | 08:06 AM
TECH Regular

For me the new car to save GM is the 4 door sedans. To compete with the Camry and Accord. Ford has its winning Fusion hybrid that beats the Camry on all fronts. Now its GM's turn.
Old 12-30-2008 | 01:06 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by caseypayne69
For me the new car to save GM is the 4 door sedans. To compete with the Camry and Accord. Ford has its winning Fusion hybrid that beats the Camry on all fronts. Now its GM's turn.
You're probably right...Malibu, Saturn Aura, Cadillac CTS (for the more upscale type sedan buyer), Buick LaCrosse/Lucerne and maybe even the G8 V6.
Old 12-31-2008 | 04:59 PM
Banned

I dont I probably will still end up with a civic in the long run for a dd. I just dont know what will happen with gm in these times. I just hope it comes out better than before. Lets hope for all the best and lets hope gm will keep providing us with these massive and very powerful v8s so we can stay ahead of all the imports and much better than the mustang.
Old 12-31-2008 | 05:36 PM
Launching!

Thats great that you want your powerful V8's from GM, too bad GM makes it's money from people buying DD's not toys...

but you keep sending GM your wishes while you send your actual support elsewhere.

and I'm not saying you should blindly buy crap. But that you shouldn't blindly buy period. Take the time to actually check out GM's current cars for yourself.
Old 12-31-2008 | 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

What about the reliability of both cars. According to the average American which car do you think they will go for. The one that is known for reliability or the one with the nice interior but real shitty reliability. How long do you think a cobalt will last. Probably not even half of what a camry would last. You just reminded me of something. Don't judge a book by its cover. Don't judge a car by its looks because it may be the ugliest thing on the outside but could be one the of the best cars to drive or it may be very pretty and suck like no other.
Why do you have the missconception that the Cobalt won't last? I'm sorry but I have a very good background with GM cars. I can tell your first hand with my friend cobalt. I can tell you we have beat the crap of that car and still today about two years later the cluth is still good and there is no noise or nothing bad going on with that car. That car is his track, DD, Beater car and we have had no complains about it's reliability. By the way why would you critizize realiability from GM if the the LS1 as ex. has had less trouble per hundred thousand that any of the V8 from its direct competitors in its years of service. By the way you are right we shall not judge a book by its cover however in this case many can agree that the overall package of the Impala is better than the Camry. Of course a sense of taste is always subjective depending the person.
Old 12-31-2008 | 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
They are. Their cars are NIGHT AND DAY better than they were even just 5 years ago.

A new Malibu (and maybe even a new Cobalt) is a FAR better vehicle overall than a 4th gen F-body.
Now I still have my 2000 Camaro Z28 that I took delivery of 9 years ago this week and the car has been FLAWLESSLY RELIABLE AND DEPENDABLE and has never been to the garage (as you call it) even once, forget continuously. And the car is even modified and raced to boot!

My point is, my older Camaro was not even supposed to be among the better built GM cars, most people almost expected a model like that to be less than stellar and yet the damn thing is almost perfect ON TOP OF all of the performance that it delivers. So if this car is doing this well than I would have to believe that a new Malibu (or even Cobalt), being far more advanced with more attention to quality/detail, to be an amazing car for the average American seeking a daily driver.
But you go ahead and keep on supporting Japan's economy first and see where your future and the future of your children ends up.
I think many people don't realize this. MY believe is that every single american can find a Good REALIABLE CAR TO THEIRS NEEDS AND TASTE IN ANY OF THE AMERICAN CAR COMPANIES.
Old 12-31-2008 | 08:41 PM
Banned

Well I may want to give GM its best wishes but me buying their cars wont make a difference. The reason is that the unions and also the upper level of the company needs a massive restructuring. They partly brought this on themselves.
Old 01-01-2009 | 01:13 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Well I may want to give GM its best wishes but me buying their cars wont make a difference.
Every sale counts.
Even if your one sale wouldn't make a difference (but it does), what about the next guy to say that, and the next guy after that, and so on? It adds up fast.

Drug dealers often use a similar logic as well...."so what if I sell those young kids some crack, I'm only one drug dealer and if they don't buy it from me they'll buy it from someone else. Stopping me isn't going to stamp out all drug sales ya know." LOL.

It's gotta start somewhere.
Old 01-01-2009 | 01:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Every sale counts.
Even if your one sale wouldn't make a difference (but it does), what about the next guy to say that, and the next guy after that, and so on? It adds up fast.

Drug dealers often use a similar logic as well...."so what if I sell those young kids some crack, I'm only one drug dealer and if they don't buy it from me they'll buy it from someone else. Stopping me isn't going to stamp out all drug sales ya know." LOL.

It's gotta start somewhere.
My point exactly.

Quick Reply: Camaro and Volt SAVE CHEVY