Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

The Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 Returns, but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Actually I was wrong, the SS nameplate was dropped after the 72 model year and only returned in 96. I do agree with your above statement, the SS moniker has been placed on too many GM vehicles lately in a poor attempt to sell more cars.

Here is a link to more Camaro production numbers:

http://www.camaro-registry.com/production.htm
Old 03-03-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Actually I was wrong, the SS nameplate was dropped after the 72 model year and only returned in 96. I do agree with your above statement, the SS moniker has been placed on too many GM vehicles lately in a poor attempt to sell more cars.

Here is a link to more Camaro production numbers:

http://www.camaro-registry.com/production.htm
Not too many 2nd gen SS camaros out there, especially 72 with the strike that year. SS moniker was used on chevelles, Novas and Impalas before coming out on the Camaro in 67. So it traditionally covers all Chevys. Z28 was an RPO code on the Camaro, and has never been on another Chevy model.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon5212
The Z28 was originally the top dog among camaros and thats what the are trying to go back to. The SS is like the base model V8 and the Z28 is the top dog.
In the original years the Z28 was NOT the top dog of anything, it was a RPO to go racing for a specific class. The SS and the Z28 were on equal footing from 67 - 72 in the Camaro and upon the return of the SS it was an option on top of the Z28 (which by then ment V8 Camaro). I will say that the Z28 was the better equipped Camaro from 67-72 for a package but everything that was on the Z28 was available for the SS. If you to get down to it, one could have ordered a 67-69 SS350 Camaro with the same suspension, brakes, transmission, gearing, and wheels as a Z and in OEM stock form the SS would hand the Z its *** on a road course due the torque the 350 had, now with tuning, steep gears, and headers the Z28 will come out on top. The SS was always geared toward the straight line the earlier years with the Big Blocks. The 70-73 Z28's were much better street cars compared to the 302's and they finished off what the economy, emissions, and feds started to do the SS.

I will be happy the day the Z28 returns to production, I just don't think it will with the LSA powered prototype we see here but will be a sticker and tape special (pelosi will jump up and down on GM if they try to release it getting 13-16 MPG). I remember back in the 3rd Gen Camaro that GM was to release a special edition 25th aniv. Camaro packing a L98 5.7 with a 6sp manual trans car (GM had the car done and showed it), guess what we got.......the Hertiage Edition that was painted like the show car with the same lame 305. GM might show a prototype but that is no assurance it will ever see production, sad cause that is one bad *** Camaro.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hc8719
I'm glad the Z28 if produced was probably flogged on the N-Ring like the CTS-V. It will shut up the Ricers and Eurotrash
No. Trust me........it won't. Their ignorance knows no bounds.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
No. Trust me........it won't. Their ignorance knows no bounds.
LMAO! Right I forgot
Old 03-04-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

As much as I would like a supercharged version of the Z28... I would rather like to see a c6 Z06 variant with the camaro as a Z28.

Anyways, if they use an ls3 or even a ls7, the gas-guzzler tax won't apply and therefore not hurt their mpg corporate average. On a side note, ya'll do know that GM is second on the list, right?!

Thus, producing a Z28 is very possible and well within the means of what they already have available, tooling, line, etc. I don't think it would come out anytime soon but in a few years I don't see why not. Now, a LSA z28 would be cool... the cts-v is already producing 540rwhp with mods... now with a lighter frame that would get it in the mid 11's for sure. Not bad!

But, again, I would rather see a ls7 or even with this NEW LSX 454ci motor, chevy could reproduce a heritage car much like the older 454ci equipped 1st gens. THAT WOULD BE COOL and no doubt would sell.... we're talking about a heritage performance car and those bean counters in government just have no idea on how well those bitches would sell... lets hope GM rememebers where they came from.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
The Camaro SS model began in '67 and ran through until '73 I believe. After that, all you could get were base Berlinettas, LT Camaros, and Z28s. It wasn't until '96 that the SS model was brought back. IMO, the SS has always been the Top Dog.

I stated it before, the 1st gen Z28 cars were 302, high rpm, high hp, low torque cars. That is what any new Z28 should be...maybe a bit more torque please! The SS cars should be the Big displacement, high hp and torque muscle cars that maybe are not as fast in the twisties, but definitely in a straight line.

This new Z28 makes the SS look like a base Mustang GT which seems all wrong to me. Don't get me wrong as I love the new Camaros, just think the name plates should be switched. Oh well, I would still buy a 2010 Z28 if they produce it with the LSA!
You comment is spot on; SS was always the higher end model. The leaders at GM can't even get their own brands straight - too many MBA's running the show. They should let the engineers have a go at it - what a bunch of crap...
Old 03-06-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Well, not necessarily the high end but yes, the SS had the larger motor, etc.

The Z28, initially as stated before.... was a road racing car. It was a 327 with a shorten stroke to produce the 302.x ci's it needed to compete in the SCCA. The car was just put together to go racing and given the RPO code of Z28. It ruled the track
with the penske/donahue (spelling?) made on the side of it and classic blue and gold color scheme. Smokey had a good car but it was never "legal enough" to race!

I feel that the new Z28 should also be a grass roots road racing car, much like the Z06. Interesting, the old 302ci revved to 7000rpm's so a Ls7 wouldn't be such a bad idea afterall! Of course not a dedicated cup car (that would be awesome though!) but something you can race on the weekends and cruise to and from work!

I would make the car lighter, add more power and take the already good handling up a notch. The SS with the ls3 will be very hot-roddable so I don't think a lack of aftermarket will hold this car back... I expect to see the first 10's sec. car within a year or less. But with that said, a Z28 built to what a Z28 originally was designed for would make a good seller.... tons of people out go racing, why not cater to those folks?!
Old 03-14-2009, 01:37 AM
TECH Resident

i would scoop that car up in a heart beat as my next car. Please, please make the supercharged camaro.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:57 AM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

Hell why not build it.. The GOVt has given AIG HOW much money yet they need more and more yet they take vacations, are paying out over 125million in bonuses.... If they can get away with that why cant GM build a car that is going to make them money?
Old 03-16-2009, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

A few things need to happen for this car to come out. 1 The volt has to be a success. 2 the camaro needs to sell. 3 they have to prove that this car will be profitable.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

1. I'm sure the Volt will be...and that'll really get the GM mpg rating up
2. If they price it right, and dealers don't mark up too much (they shouldn't anyways), they'll sell like hot cakes
3. Sell enough of them, and they'll be profitable...

I really hope GM doesn't **** this up...if they do...god...if they do...I've lost all hope for them...all hope...GM might as well close their doors, because lets face it, if they cant produce the Camaro....at all, that just means they've reached the slippery slope, and their heading down fast...

Maybe I'm being alamist, but damnit, I want GM to survive, and I think Wagoner is just driving it into the ground...thats just me, my observations, but thats my take.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Smus
1. I'm sure the Volt will be...and that'll really get the GM mpg rating up
2. If they price it right, and dealers don't mark up too much (they shouldn't anyways), they'll sell like hot cakes
3. Sell enough of them, and they'll be profitable...

I really hope GM doesn't **** this up...if they do...god...if they do...I've lost all hope for them...all hope...GM might as well close their doors, because lets face it, if they cant produce the Camaro....at all, that just means they've reached the slippery slope, and their heading down fast...

Maybe I'm being alamist, but damnit, I want GM to survive, and I think Wagoner is just driving it into the ground...thats just me, my observations, but thats my take.
I agree that GM is one of the poorestly run companies out there. I really hope they go with chapter 11 and get new managment. With the right team inplace who knows what they could build or how good they can be.

Quick Reply: The Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 Returns, but...