Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

MotorTrend Compares Camaro SS, Ford Mustang GT, and Dodge Challenger R/T

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the mustang with a lot of upgraded suspension pieces kept up with a stock camaro. Test the base GT against the camaro in handling it will be a different story. Fact is that was a ford option, and thats what the test car had on it.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by coolformula
How did the mustange out handle the camaro thats sad. It weighs a litte more but not that much and IRS.

With money tight the mustang should have another winner. I"m afraid GM may not got this right.....I mean look like the 4th gen vs mustang it stopped better,quick,faster, etc but still got blown away by the mustang in sales.

I think the challenger looks super sharp too.

But I hope we get to keep all 3 brings out more good for the consumer.
You should probably read the article because skidpad numbers are not handling... Far from it...
"Rear-end traction is superb; car tracks brilliantly, even over mid-corner lumps. As a result, you will carry more corner speed in the Camaro than in the other two, regardless of road surface."
"You'd be giddy pushing either of these two through a mountain pass, and if the road were smooth the Mustang GT might have an edge. But for all-around prowess and stability, the Camaro SS has the advantage."
Old 04-08-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What surprises me the most is that these cars get heavier and heavier every year. Wit all of the heat they are taking for economy or lack of, you would think that they would put them on a diet. Thats the easiest way to getting better economy.

Its interesting how the acceleration times are not that far apart at low speeds but they just keep getting further apart the faster they get in favor of the camaro. Once that porker gets its load rollin' it starts to move out.

It would be nice to see what a 3200-3400 camaro would do.

BTW, if the camaro didnt hand the mustangs rear to it in handling, then I dont think the IRS payed off. Just my opinion.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tires make a huge difference in handling.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:03 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great comparison article. Glad the camaro came out on top

Quick Reply: MotorTrend Compares Camaro SS, Ford Mustang GT, and Dodge Challenger R/T