Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

2010 COPO Camaro????

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
Just an observation here. But if all you guys want is a lightweight, stripped down car with a big motor.......no frills, no excessive safety features or sound deadening, no big rims, no excessive electronics..........WHY are you looking at a new Camaro in the first place? Wouldn't a 4th gen F-bod better serve your purpose? These new pony/muscle cars are meant to offer power and performance matched with modern safety and conveniences. Seems to me that if nothing but the power interests you....you'd be better off buying a used, older model car and dropping an LS7 or LS9 in it.

Just saying...
i think a body in white would be the best option for most folks in this thread. solid rear axle no power accesories and a big cube lsx would be perfect.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-25-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

I want the LS7 Camaro built for SEMA! LS9/LSA would be fine too, as long as it's under $50,000. "If you build it, they will come." If GM built a limited amount per year, maybe 10,000 or less, then maybe people would get excited about it.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chrisdacarnut
How about because 4th gens are old falling apart cars? Maybe because we're true auto enthusiasts that want the latest and greatest technology without all the extra bullshit we don't need? Maybe we like the new styling and want a warranty as well? And maybe just maybe we like to get the best bang for our buck.
Well you are getting a 420+hp V8 powered RWD 2+2 sports coupe for 31K. If you don't think that's a hell of a deal, you obviously haven't tried buying a brand new 400+hp sports coupe for less than 40K lately.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
i think a body in white would be the best option for most folks in this thread. solid rear axle no power accesories and a big cube lsx would be perfect.
The "body-in-white" concept, although potentially very customer-friendly, has TWO significant drawbacks...

1) Hand built, literally from the ground-up, which means very expen$ive, and NOT for the casual Joe...

2) No VIN...how to license/insure?

The approx. equation between "buying all the parts, individually", and assembly-line made, is about 4 or 5-to-1...just for the parts...in your hands...

You're over $15K for the body-in-white GMPP package (bare), an LS-series crate engine, and a transmission...lying on the floor, in your garage... You'd be over $20K, easily, with a B-I-W/LS7/Tremec... The easiest way to complete a B-I-W project is utilizing a "donor" car...at what cost? How many write-off '10 Camaros are around?

A 1SS is just over $30K, complete-painted-assembled...with a warranty...
Old 04-26-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

MY THOUGHTS ON THE COPO ISSUE:

first off i'll say i'm a nobody with little knowledge of GM's history, but that being said...

I think it would be ideal for EVERYONE if there WAS a COPO car, BUT i don't think it should be a 'package' you can buy. i think you should be able to walk into a dealership and start with a bare chassis, a blank canvas if you will, and just go down a checklist of what you want on/in the car. Obviously ANY LS motor will bolt right up. Anyone can do custom exhaust. Any gear ratio can be put in the rearend. Any 3-6speed auto/manual can be installed....why not let the customer build the car THEY want for THEIR money?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Default My COPO idea

Ls7 in stick or auto, no power with cloth interior. Add options for radio and rear seat delete. Make it look just like the V6 with some basic wheels and good tires. You pick the axle ratio. Possibly add a live axle option if it could be reasonably done. Sell it for the same price as the SS or a touch more to cover the Ls7.

Ryph
Old 05-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Mr. Obvious

just a base camaro with the LS7/t56. stripper with cloth interior, SS gauges, manual windows and door locks, a/c as an option, ss suspension and brembo brakes, copo specific 18" wheels, option for a solid rear axle, no badges at all

Quick Reply: 2010 COPO Camaro????