Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: So how much are YOU willing to pay for an 2010 Camaro SS?
Less than $30K (new or used SS)
56.71%
$30K to $40K (SS)
41.99%
$40K to $50K (SS)
0.43%
$50K+ (SS, no Z28 LSA option)
0.87%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

So how much are YOU willing to pay for an 2010 Camaro SS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 04:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff M
I don't know how many times this has to be said. GM has nothing to do with the markup, you CAN NOT blame anyone but your dealer. GM should be fined? There are laws regarding price fixing dumbass, GM can't tell the dealers what price to sell a car at, that's illegal. Grow up and learn how the free market works, if you don't like it, wait until prices come down. Say it with me morons: GM IS LEGALLY RESTRICTED FROM DOING ANYTHING ABOUT DEALER PRICING

I know how the free market works and if the manufacturer had a bit more control over the raping the dealers provide their so called customers, then maybe there would be a bit more level playing ground for purchases. The idiot who purchases a Camaro with a 10k+ dealer markup has a problem (and/or too much cash to throw away). The dealer who can't move many cars, has limited stock and sells by low volume-high profit better be a high end exotic car dealer not an American car dealer who sells cars for a failing manufacturer and/or market.
Here is your free market:
GM produces cars with an MSRP, dealer severely marks up MSRP, educated consumer passes/waits, production slows and and layoffs ensue, dealer lays off salesmen, quarterly losses/lack of sales kills brand marquee, dealer busts and closes doors, manufacturer asks for bailout. You and your kids pay off the debt.
Just a "hypothetical" scenario...

So do us all a favor, go purchase that exuberantly marked up Camaro, give the salesman a mini-vacation and keep the Chevy Camaro alive! Dumbass lol
Old 05-13-2009, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

The pricing on these cars right now is rediculous....look on ebay, there are 2SS cars listed with $49-50K buy it nows, and 1LTs with BIDS of 37K. Come the hell on people, think with your head, not your ego. I guess I'm just crazy, but I'm not willing to pay 30% over MSRP for something just to be the first guy in town to have one.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Teching In

thats just hilarious....the 6 dealerships around me are all selling for sticker price....no more, no less. just what the MSRP is.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DRGnFLYZ28
I know how the free market works and if the manufacturer had a bit more control over the raping the dealers provide their so called customers, then maybe there would be a bit more level playing ground for purchases. The idiot who purchases a Camaro with a 10k+ dealer markup has a problem (and/or too much cash to throw away). The dealer who can't move many cars, has limited stock and sells by low volume-high profit better be a high end exotic car dealer not an American car dealer who sells cars for a failing manufacturer and/or market.
GM produces cars with an MSRP, dealer severely marks up MSRP, educated consumer passes/waits, production slows and and layoffs ensue, dealer lays off salesmen, quarterly losses/lack of sales kills brand marquee, dealer busts and closes doors, manufacturer asks for bailout. You and your kids pay off the debt.

So do us all a favor, go purchase that exuberantly marked up Camaro, give the salesman a mini-vacation and keep the Chevy Camaro alive! Dumbass lol
Since you know how the free market works, you must also realize that a dealership is just a business. If they have something that a lot of people want (demand), and they have very few of (supply) then why should they sell it at the suggested price? I mean, if you were running a business, would you sell a popular item that you couldn't keep in stock for the normal price if people were willing to pay more? Believe me, I wouldn't pay more than sticker for a car because I can wait and I can't afford it. But you have to understand it is just the free market at work. Like somebody else said, it is worth whatever somebody will pay, and if you had to sell your car, would you sell it for less than what somebody was willing to pay? I seriously doubt it.

When the supply catches up with the demand, prices will come down and they will continue to sell cars. In the mean time, the dealers will make a killing, that is just the way it is.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

You make a good point rayhawk!
It is unfortunate that with the economy in it's financial bind, the manufacturer on the verge of collapse and the delayed revival of a popular (let alone previously dead) model, there would be enough sense to work on flooding the market with the car. At the very least, to give Ford a run for the money.
I guess we will have to sit back and wait or travel to the dealers other members are claiming are selling at MSRP.
Free market doesn't always mean good market.

Thanks for the feedback
Old 05-14-2009, 02:37 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think I would get a 2010 camaro unless the ls7/z28 was an option. That would be the only way I'd make the jump
Old 05-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
very very badass car. however i will only pay invoice and not a penny more! went to a unveiling party this last sat at norman frede chevrolet. they had 2 lt v6 camaros there. even in that trim they were still sharp looking. very nice interiors but the seats didnt feel quite as supportive as my 2002 trans am seats i have in the 93 .
hey i was there too, I was on the motorcycle if you saw me
Old 05-14-2009, 09:05 AM
Launching!

You make a good point rayhawk!
It is unfortunate that with the economy in it's financial bind, the manufacturer on the verge of collapse and the delayed revival of a popular (let alone previously dead) model, there would be enough sense to work on flooding the market with the car. At the very least, to give Ford a run for the money.
I guess we will have to sit back and wait or travel to the dealers other members are claiming are selling at MSRP.
Free market doesn't always mean good market.

Thanks for the feedback
So you think flooding the market would be a good idea? Think again, inventory costs money to maintain on the lot. Running additional shifts to produce an adequate number of cars requires more money which increases overhead, which means the manufacturer has now got to sell more cars in order to pay for the additional costs of producing more product. You mentioned current economic environment, it is bad, not even the slightest bit worth the risk of eating the cost of thousands of units sitting in the distribution chain in hopes the dealers can move them fast enough.

It is obvious that you do not know how the free market works. The manufacturer has taken a look at all the variables and constructed a break even point with a set production level to protect them from an over abundant supply creating great risk to themselves and its supply chain.

Oh, and I am still trying to find this regulation that you speak of about MSRP………

Last thing, it is obvious you do not know supply and demand, because at some point equilibrium is achieved. There is no way of getting around that unless you are a monopoly or collusion is going on.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigBake
So you think flooding the market would be a good idea? Think again, inventory costs money to maintain on the lot. Running additional shifts to produce an adequate number of cars requires more money which increases overhead, which means the manufacturer has now got to sell more cars in order to pay for the additional costs of producing more product. You mentioned current economic environment, it is bad, not even the slightest bit worth the risk of eating the cost of thousands of units sitting in the distribution chain in hopes the dealers can move them fast enough. .
They won't need additional shifts at this rate. As a matter of fact, all of the salesmen I've seen are starving as the dealer markup remains high. I'm sure the manufacturer's production costs were budgeted for the initial rollout give or take a percentage of potential gains/losses. If not, maybe that has played a factor in their current financial status. Plus, dealer holdback incentives still exist.

It is obvious that you do not know how the free market works. The manufacturer has taken a look at all the variables and constructed a break even point with a set production level to protect them from an over abundant supply creating great risk to themselves and its supply chain.
Yes, I know, basically researching the possible demand for their product and their need to supply it. If they knew how much they could sell and how far to push the envelope of what people would pay to increase their profit margin, the manufacturer would pig rich as would the dealers.

Last thing, it is obvious you do not know supply and demand, because at some point equilibrium is achieved. There is no way of getting around that unless you are a monopoly or collusion is going on
Well that is common knowledge of supply and demand. But that doesn't guarantee the continued production of a brand (or product). If the demand is low, then the supply gets adjusted accordingly. With that theory, you can keep your "equilibrium" balanced all the way to its own demise. I'm referring to the variables that affect the "equilibrium".
Old 05-14-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will not pay over MSRP for a Camaro 2SS/RS with the installed options I plan to get.

I can and will wait for the right time..

Sean
Old 05-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01pewter2001z28
I will not pay over MSRP for a Camaro 2SS/RS with the installed options I plan to get.

I can and will wait for the right time..

Sean

Couldnt agree more with that statement. I built my 2ss camaro on chevys website with the rs package and auto transmission. Came out to $36,610.00
Thats doable, but i'll make a move on it when the time is right
Old 05-14-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
. if someone is stupid enough to pay that price then thats how it goes. it wont be me though.
Thank you and plus 1.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

I NEVER SAID I WOULD BUY ONE OVER MSRP. I simply explained that GM can do NOTHING about markups. The dealers own those cars, GM does not. They can't control what a dealer sells it for any more than the dealer can control how much you resell it for after you buy it. that's all that I said, implying I said anything else makes you the dumbass. Guess what, not only would I not buy one over MSRP, I also won't sell them over MSRP

Your hypothetical situation isn't real world at all. You completely made up an order of events that there is no real world basis supporting. My mom has cancer. My mom used to sit on a porch swing. Porch swings must cause cancer. Yup, your logic works great.

Dealers marking it up is not a reflection on GM and it does not hurt GM because GM isn't doing it, it hurts that particular dealer. Guess what, there is a dealer across town that is marking them up and not getting anyone their preorders because every car hits the lot with that markup to try to capitalize while demand is hot. They are making NOTHING because the consumers come over to our lot and order them at MSRP. We have none on the lot and wont for a while, because we have dozens of sold orders and as soon as the cars are coming in we have cash in our pocket and they have their cars. The same amount of Camaros are being sold in town, but one dealer will flourish, one will die, and GM sells the same number of cars so they come out the same.

Last edited by Patrick G; 05-14-2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: profanity and flaming of other members will not be tolerated. Admin.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

I found this one yesterday...It is an SS with the paddle shift A6... Price was $35K with a $4K mark up.. ( $39K+ change)..Decent car imo... But i keeptellng myself to wait for that BAD *** SCZ28 in 2011....

Old 05-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Launching!

They won't need additional shifts at this rate. As a matter of fact, all of the salesmen I've seen are starving as the dealer markup remains high. I'm sure the manufacturer's production costs were budgeted for the initial rollout give or take a percentage of potential gains/losses. If not, maybe that has played a factor in their current financial status. Plus, dealer holdback incentives still exist.
In order to produce more cars you have to run additional shifts, they are not going to make more cars in the same 12 hours of the operational day. The whole point of 9 weeks off is to reduce inventory and save money. Production costs for initial roll out are not part of a marketing plan, show me a marketing plan that has that. Their only concern is “BREAK EVEN POINT”, that is all that a manufacturer is ever concerned with. They make additional cars past that point to make a profit, but too much and they end up with stagnant inventory costing them money in interest and storage which then reduces profits.

Yes, I know, basically researching the possible demand for their product and their need to supply it. If they knew how much they could sell and how far to push the envelope of what people would pay to increase their profit margin, the manufacturer would pig rich as would the dealers.
No you don’t know, because that is what the break even point is about, they must sell X amount to make a profit. While at the same time not go over board and eat additional costs on interest and storage.

Well that is common knowledge of supply and demand. But that doesn't guarantee the continued production of a brand (or product). If the demand is low, then the supply gets adjusted accordingly. With that theory, you can keep your "equilibrium" balanced all the way to its own demise. I'm referring to the variables that affect the "equilibrium".
Common knowledge? Not to you because you just said “equilibrium balanced”, it is obvious you have no idea what equilibrium is or how it works.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

ill pay sticker up to 36k. if it gets to 40k then ill go with a vette. now i just need to pick which i want to get...
Old 05-14-2009, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i wouldnt even give sticker. with all the troubles car companies are have and it being a first year production car, they should be thankful i'll even consider a new camaro.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigBake
you just said “equilibrium balanced”, it is obvious you have no idea what equilibrium is or how it works.
Equilibrium:
Show Spelled Pronunciation [ee-kwuh-lib-ree-uhm, ek-wuh-] Show IPA
–noun, plural -ri⋅ums, -ri⋅a  /-riə/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [-ree-uh] Show IPA .
1. a state of rest or balance due to the equal action of opposing forces.
2. equal balance between any powers, influences, etc.; equality of effect.
3. mental or emotional balance; equanimity: The pressures of the situation caused her to lose her equilibrium.

LMAO
Old 05-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

I really did not get to read a whole lot of this, but FWIW I am a new car salesman for Ganley Chevrolet in Cleveland and we are selling our Camaros at sticker. It is ridiculous what other dealers are doing with these markups. We have a dealer across town that has a 2SS for $10K over sticker.

We are a bunch of gearheads here at Ganley and really want to see this car survive so we are doing what we can to get them on the road!!
Old 05-15-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sweet98ta
I really did not get to read a whole lot of this, but FWIW I am a new car salesman for Ganley Chevrolet in Cleveland and we are selling our Camaros at sticker. It is ridiculous what other dealers are doing with these markups. We have a dealer across town that has a 2SS for $10K over sticker.

We are a bunch of gearheads here at Ganley and really want to see this car survive so we are doing what we can to get them on the road!!
Now that's what I'm talking about!

Thank you and good luck in your new position!!!

Quick Reply: So how much are YOU willing to pay for an 2010 Camaro SS?