Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Dealers going to kill Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 01:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 6.0mustang
well government motor company (gmc) has never been very good at price comparison to ford. that is why ford has always out sold chevy. it wouldnt matter if gm was the best car in the world and the fastest. if an average joe wants to buy a car doesnt really care that much about cars, he's going with the cheaper one.
I have to agree. Although I now own two Chevy's, in 1989 I test drove a new Z28 priced around 22,000 (if I remember correctly). My wife and I then went and drove a Mustang Gt priced at 15,500. We purchased the GT. There was no brand loyalty, it came to down to comparable performance and price. The Z had 245 HP if I remember correctly, but only came in an automatic since it had the optional 5.7 L. The GT had 220 HP, but had a 5 speed and was $6,500 cheaper, and just as fast. That's why the mustang waaaayyy out sold the camaro and the camaro ceased to exist in 2002. It will once again cease to exist unless it is priced to compete with the mustang and the imports that the kids are buying. People in their early 20's have to be able to afford the car so GM can sell to the masses. It would be interesting to read just who GM is targeting. I read Gm sales literature about the corvette. GM targeted the average vette buyer to be 48 years old with a household income of $128,000.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:17 AM
Banned

A local dealership here has a v6 RS in Silver, they're going to hang on to it for awhile and allow people to place their orders. V6 markup was 3k which brought that particular one up to 33k, V8 markup will be 5k he told me.

Buddy of mine just bought a brand new G8 GT for a hair under 27k. The G8 GTP's they were trying to sell their first one for 37k. I think it's still there.

Salesman at the Chevy and Pontiac dealers around here are dumbasses. They really know nothing about cars.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F55C6
I have to agree. Although I now own two Chevy's, in 1989 I test drove a new Z28 priced around 22,000 (if I remember correctly). My wife and I then went and drove a Mustang Gt priced at 15,500. We purchased the GT. There was no brand loyalty, it came to down to comparable performance and price. The Z had 245 HP if I remember correctly, but only came in an automatic since it had the optional 5.7 L. The GT had 220 HP, but had a 5 speed and was $6,500 cheaper, and just as fast. That's why the mustang waaaayyy out sold the camaro and the camaro ceased to exist in 2002. It will once again cease to exist unless it is priced to compete with the mustang and the imports that the kids are buying. People in their early 20's have to be able to afford the car so GM can sell to the masses. It would be interesting to read just who GM is targeting. I read Gm sales literature about the corvette. GM targeted the average vette buyer to be 48 years old with a household income of $128,000.
Just a little FYI, I had a 88 Iroc 5.0 tpi with the 5 speed and wanted to put the 5.7 in front of the 5 speed. Apparently the 5.7 was breaking the output shaft and thats why there were only a limited of 5.7's with the t5 transmission built, IIRC its under 200.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Regular

Went and saw one yesterday V6 no mark up and listed for $34K. It was a display not for sale and no test drives. What it did have was a $4k wheel upgrade, stripes, top line motor, remote start etc. What he did say was there were a few dealerships that made false customer orders and put them out on the lot and marked those up. GM was cracking down on that and doing follow up calls with customers themselvs to crack down on this. So ya there out there but if you do your homework you wont get screwed. And check all the options these dealers place on the lot cars they could be highly optioned not marked up like the one I saw. There is a 6 month back order on V8's so your better off ordering one and waiting so you get the one you want at the right price.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Teching In

Little off topic but:
I called local dealership yesterday to see if they had Camaro's, he said yea we have 2 "GT's" that are V6, I said you mean LT he said "No" they are "GT"
He did however say that they were selling at MSRP!! So even know they don't know what they are selling, they are sticking to MSRP

IMO All salespersons should be required to pass a test before selling such hot items as Camaro!!!
Old 05-17-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

i hope the ******* ******* dealers who are jacking the prices up are the ones being notified by gm about being closed. they deserve it. How can GM allow dealers to do this ****?!?! when GM is almost in bankruptcy and trying to sell cars, they're gonna sit on the lot because of these ******* dealers marking up the prices. I for one am someone who will NEVER will pay a mark up price on a car, **** them.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Launching!

i would like to buy one straight from obama. i bet he would get me a good deal, he would first want no tax then he would want me to pay alot of taxes on it later
Old 05-17-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jon5212
The reason dealers do this, is because of dumbasses that will pay stupid mark ups to be the first kid on the block with one. Now... if we can rid the world of those dumbassess, there would be no markups.
Well said!!!
Old 05-17-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 6.0mustang
i would like to buy one straight from obama. i bet he would get me a good deal, he would first want no tax then he would want me to pay alot of taxes on it later
LMAO!!!!

Only if you are democrat and dont PAY your taxes in the first place...
Old 05-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Just a little FYI, I had a 88 Iroc 5.0 tpi with the 5 speed and wanted to put the 5.7 in front of the 5 speed. Apparently the 5.7 was breaking the output shaft and thats why there were only a limited of 5.7's with the t5 transmission built, IIRC its under 200.
No, In California it was all about emissions. This State sucks, but I'm stuck here until I retire if I can last that long.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by F55C6
No, In California it was all about emissions. This State sucks, but I'm stuck here until I retire if I can last that long.
I don't think you understood my reply and I don't understand yours
Old 05-18-2009, 07:36 AM
Launching!

i think he was saying they did away with 5 speed due to emissions.
i think it was because they were weak, rated to handle 265ft/lb of torque.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

There were never any 5.7 L98 5 speed Irocs-Formula-Trans Ams from GM. The T5 just couldn't handle the torque of the 350. They would take out 2nd gear. Even the Mustang GT would take out the World Class T5 so it never stood a chance behind the 5.7.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 406 Q-ship
There were never any 5.7 L98 5 speed Irocs-Formula-Trans Ams from GM. The T5 just couldn't handle the torque of the 350. They would take out 2nd gear. Even the Mustang GT would take out the World Class T5 so it never stood a chance behind the 5.7.
That was my point, only a few were made
Old 05-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Teching In

I would never rely on a salemen to sell me the car. Give me a laptop and put the car on a lift. I can run the carfax and decode the vin/RPOs to see what engine/options/accidents/mileage/etc that car has.

I don't trust a thing the salesmen says. I know that car dealers hire salemen, not car guys.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

That was my point, only a few were made
As in NONE from GM
Old 05-19-2009, 11:23 AM
11 Second Club

As in NONE from GM
I'll have to find it again. There 200 or so.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

As in NONE from GM

I beg to differ.. I had an 89 IROC with an L98/T5.. There are ALOT of ney sayers out there calling BS, that the IROC with the T5 ALL had 305''s.. NOT TRUE..Some were produced with the L98..

I spoke with Scott Settlemier with GM and he concurred that there were VERY few that were made. Wish i would have never gotten rid of mine It was a beautiful car!!

Look closely @ the manual tranny resevoir and the larger coolant resevoir.. Find one with a 305 and compare.. Can't argue it... it's right in front of you..

I traded that car off on a 93 (4th gen) when they first came out! Yes, i was an idiot! I told my wife if i EVER found that car again in any shape, i would buy it on the spot.. I have been looking for it ever since i found that it was so rare...

Sorry for the
Old 05-23-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dealers aren't gonna kill the Camaro. Marking up the price beyond what anyone in their area will or can pay for one just means they'll be stuck with a lot full of cars they can't sell. Ppl determined to get a new Camaro will either pay the markup or go to another dealer with better offers. Everyone else will just have to be patient and wait for the initial hype to die down.

Truly, while the markups might anger you, they are a good sign if you think in terms of the big picture. Markups only last while the market can support them. The longer those markups stay up, the more sure a sign it is that the demand for the Camaro is still sky high. When you start to see lots of rebates, red tags, and special promotions for them......that's when you know sales are starting to slump.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

Dealers are going to hurt the future of sales of the Camaro, buy raising the list price and people stopping into potentially buy one they will think that this is the going price. The dealer here just recently sold a V6 for 36K, If I remember correctly on GM's sight the fully loaded V6 optioned car is a little over 27K, in my opinion who would pay 36K for a V6 car, with exception of buying a BMW, Lexus, etc. When GM stopped making Camaro's back in 02 I believe the prices on these cars for the intended was out of the price range of those that would generally buy the car. You also have to look at some of the Chrysler models, some of the Ford model Mustangs to also see that some of these dealers are also jacking the price of the car extensively. The dealers own these cars and can charge what ever they want to for them, as MSRP stands for Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price, but it would also be nice to see the manufacturers also penialize these dealers for excessive price jacking.

Quick Reply: Dealers going to kill Camaro