Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

Dealers going to kill Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy

[QUOTE=Bryan921SS;11590626]Dealers don't know **** about the cars they sell. Some are like that, not many are real car guys anymore

A customer got his 1SS Inferno Orange here in Midland, and I was looking it over. The guy who sold the car came out and I asked if it had the RS package, he said no it's no the V6 model...then I asked which engine it had, the LS3 or the L99(or whatever the DOD one is) and he said yeah this car has the new LT engine in it.

I walked over to the mechanic that drove it up and he was laughing and shaking his head...I just looked at him and smiled. Like I said

[QUOTE=slick1851;11591761]Ive seen first hand paper work on what the cars are priced at, GM doesnt not want dealers ******* with the price at all!
Where did you see this paperwork?

Originally Posted by Awake455
Eh, do what I do. Find a dealer who is selling at sticker. Tell everyone you can how that dealer tried to screw you, and encourage everyone you know to spread the word. Do everything you can to spread the word about how they treat customers.

They rightly stand behind supply and demand when suggesting that someone will buy it at that price. You rightly stand behind the freedom to spread the word about your buying (or not buying) experience.
What good would come of that , the dealer loosing sales and having to let people go who have family and a car payment and mortgage

Originally Posted by Jon5212
The reason dealers do this, is because of dumbasses that will pay stupid mark ups to be the first kid on the block with one. Now... if we can rid the world of those dumbassess, there would be no markups.
Agree, If people will pay we will sell it too them.
a little secret................................... .......... dealers are in the business to make money.

Originally Posted by LS1RedZ
Well GM and the dealerships are pricing themselves out. They have gotten too big. They need to get rid of the little dealerships that hold 50 new cars on their lots. Just my opinion tho. 5 new Dodge/Chrysler dealerships just got cut off where I live.
Dealers do more than sell cars that is a small part, think of what some do in the community and also the tax that they pay to the county and also the poeple they employ. Also a place to get warranty work done at the least. what would happen if your local dealer closed and you had to travel an hour away.

Originally Posted by DaveX
Don't worry. Obama will step in.
I hope not

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
Dealers aren't gonna kill the Camaro. Marking up the price beyond what anyone in their area will or can pay for one just means they'll be stuck with a lot full of cars they can't sell. Ppl determined to get a new Camaro will either pay the markup or go to another dealer with better offers. Everyone else will just have to be patient and wait for the initial hype to die down.

Truly, while the markups might anger you, they are a good sign if you think in terms of the big picture. Markups only last while the market can support them. The longer those markups stay up, the more sure a sign it is that the demand for the Camaro is still sky high. When you start to see lots of rebates, red tags, and special promotions for them......that's when you know sales are starting to slump.
If people are paying markups, the economy can't be doing that bad. We are selling the new camaro at sticker and after seeing other dealers selling at a markup and talking to other customers who bought a new camaro and payed $7000 over!!!!!!! I somtimes think we are missing the boat............... but we are just trying to survive.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I saw 3 at a dealer yesterday. All SS automatics. They were selling them at 10K over. One was sold and they said they had already sold 2 or 3 at that price. They claimed to have been buying them from other dealers over sticker.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

NO DEALERSHIP should mark up any Camaro at all. They need tax payers help and are IMO greedy at the same time.. The Camaro v-6 and the SS are great cars and need to sell. I feel any dealer that marks them up should be shutdown.

Chris
Old 05-25-2009, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree they shouldn't mark them up. GM needs to get more on the lots though and it would stop.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LPE Z Convt
NO DEALERSHIP should mark up any Camaro at all. They need tax payers help and are IMO greedy at the same time.. The Camaro v-6 and the SS are great cars and need to sell. I feel any dealer that marks them up should be shutdown.

Chris
Originally Posted by DaveX
I agree they shouldn't mark them up. GM needs to get more on the lots though and it would stop.
I agree dealers should just sell volumes of these and just keep rolling but what are you supposed to do when you have a few or one of these Camaros and and more customers than you have product. Someone............ will pay a premium. What those few people who are paying a premium don't realize is when GM sells 30-50,000 of these in 2010 they will not hold value. Any one remember the first round of 2006 Z06' . One of my cutomsers has one with 1900 miles on it and could probably get what some people are paying for a new Camaro And also, to want a dealership closed down because people are paying a premium for a product is crazy. No one is making the customer pay that much, so If you are going to blame someone blame the customer.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by formula87
I agree dealers should just sell volumes of these and just keep rolling but what are you supposed to do when you have a few or one of these Camaros and and more customers than you have product. Someone............ will pay a premium. What those few people who are paying a premium don't realize is when GM sells 30-50,000 of these in 2010 they will not hold value. Any one remember the first round of 2006 Z06' . One of my cutomsers has one with 1900 miles on it and could probably get what some people are paying for a new Camaro And also, to want a dealership closed down because people are paying a premium for a product is crazy. No one is making the customer pay that much, so If you are going to blame someone blame the customer.
I feel that the tough times GM is having they should not let ANY DEALERSHIP sell their product over sticker. Greed is what got them in the position they are in now. So i say again change their ways or BE SHUTDOWN

Chris
Old 05-25-2009, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

when a customer agrees to pay MSRP for a car and that dealer DEMANDS a 5k markup or no sale yes i think they deserve to not sell this car.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am in texarkana for the month and want to see a new camaro in person...where do i go look??? HELP!!
Old 05-25-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 6.0mustang
well government motor company (gmc) has never been very good at price comparison to ford. that is why ford has always out sold chevy. it wouldnt matter if gm was the best car in the world and the fastest. if an average joe wants to buy a car doesnt really care that much about cars, he's going with the cheaper one.

02 Z28 and 02 gt prices were similar.

http://autos.yahoo.com/2002_ford_mus...ley_blue_book/

http://autos.yahoo.com/2002_chevrole...6077071&page=2

most buyers just prefer mustangs.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wonder if one of these dealers who is charging over MSRP would deal if you walked in there with a suitcase full of hundreds...?

Actually, I think some dealers put the markup on there just to keep out the people who aren't serious buyers. My 02 WS6 had a 6k markup but I was able to get it for just over invoice after a bit of negotiating... Granted that was a long time ago and it wasn't the new hot thing that everyone is drooling over.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently, people all over are pay 5 and 10k over, even on Ebay! It's going to be over a year before the prices stabilize. when they release the new Transfomer movie there will be even a bigger run on them!
Old 05-26-2009, 03:05 AM
On The Tree

Considering most people either trade or finance new cars, it's no surprise dealers mark up to offset potential financial loss due to finance or lease returns or trade in deficits.

Wait a year or so, they'll come down to realistic prices.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Well, since some have a problem with the dealers marking these cars up ( remember my dealership is not one of them) I have a senario.

I have a 2LT V6 leather 6spd AT Camaro with a roof in yellow. Not the sought after SS model this car lists for about $29900.00. It is the only car that I will have ,to sell from stock for probably a year or so (because every Camaro I have coming is already spoken for 100% being SS)

10 - 20 people have called specifically interested in the V6 instead of the V8. 10 -12 of those people are interested in this car.

Now .......what would you do. Sell it to the first person who walks in, and have 10 people pissed off beacuse they could not get to dealership in time.

Should I mark it up so I can keep it for awhile to show customers. Or sell the only car I will have for stock. I could not go to another dealer and replace it for less than sticker.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, since some have a problem with the dealers marking these cars up ( remember my dealership is not one of them) I have a senario.

I have a 2LT V6 leather 6spd AT Camaro with a roof in yellow. Not the sought after SS model this car lists for about $29900.00. It is the only car that I will have ,to sell from stock for probably a year or so (because every Camaro I have coming is already spoken for 100% being SS)

10 - 20 people have called specifically interested in the V6 instead of the V8. 10 -12 of those people are interested in this car.

Now .......what would you do. Sell it to the first person who walks in, and have 10 people pissed off beacuse they could not get to dealership in time.

Should I mark it up so I can keep it for awhile to show customers. Or sell the only car I will have for stock. I could not go to another dealer and replace it for less than sticker.
Have all 10 make you an offer and take the best one. It's no different than someone selling a part in the for sale section on here with 10 people wanting that part. Or tell them it's a demo and not for sale.

When I see a dealer mark-up (or market adjust) a car, I will never shop at that dealer again and discourage anyone else from doing so. To me, it let's me know that they are dishonest and I shouldn't do business with them.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:01 AM
On The Tree

I would do a bid auction. You set the price you want and have the 10 people bid on the auction and the closest bid wins. YOU still make money .
Old 06-21-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, it's what every other dealer on the planet does, and they offer to order them their own car. It's called a competitive market, economics 101. (No offense, I've been talking to a lot of sleazy incompetent salesmen this week, might be harsher than it needs to be)

That depend, are you wanting to make money? If so you will sell the damn thing to the first person with the dough. The kind of mentality you just posted takes away your credibility and the car will sit there until you have to cut the price by 5000 just to get rid of it.

Takes away credibility because A) the customer's think you are holding out for bigger price (which you are), or B) they think that you really don't want to sell it.

It will sit there because A) customer's pass by your store every day, and see the car not move, so they think it sucks, ruining the credibility of the car. B) If people think it is a **** car, it won't sell.

I just had a friend looking to do a Cobalt SS sedan/Equinox combo buying new, but the Chevrolet dealerships didn't want his money, or so it seemed, so he walked to the Honda dealership across the street and got a Civic/Element and waved as they drove by their new cars. You are your own worst enemy my friend.

Last edited by kain01; 06-21-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Paying sticker here.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kain01
Yes, it's what every other dealer on the planet does, and they offer to order them their own car. It's called a competitive market, economics 101. (No offense, I've been talking to a lot of sleazy incompetent salesmen this week, might be harsher than it needs to be)

Used to sell..............

That depend, are you wanting to make money? If so you will sell the damn thing to the first person with the dough. The kind of mentality you just posted takes away your credibility and the car will sit there until you have to cut the price by 5000 just to get rid of it.

We all are in the biz to make money, just need to be fair about it. Don't know what you mean about my mentality.

Takes away credibility because A) the customer's think you are holding out for bigger price (which you are), or B) they think that you really don't want to sell it.

Wrong

It will sit there because A) customer's pass by your store every day, and see the car not move, so they think it sucks, ruining the credibility of the car. B) If people think it is a **** car, it won't sell.

I just had a friend looking to do a Cobalt SS sedan/Equinox combo buying new, but the Chevrolet dealerships didn't want his money, or so it seemed, so he walked to the Honda dealership across the street and got a Civic/Element and waved as they drove by their new cars. You are your own worst enemy my friend.
We finally got this car and a previous cust in service bought 18 min after it came off the truck and she was happy to pay sticker because the last couple dealerships wanted like 800-3000 over for a V6.

Also these new Camaros SS' or V6' don't have much mark up, that is why most dealers are marking them up cause you make more money on a truck or or Impala even a cobalt!!!!

Quick Reply: Dealers going to kill Camaro