Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

2010 Lingenfelter Camaro SS Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009 | 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default 2010 Lingenfelter Camaro SS Twin Turbo

I hope this isnt a repost but i recently saw this on another site i check.

Link: http://www.supercars.net/cars/4484.html

I saw the the thread about the Lingenfelter supercharged camaro but this twin turbo looks even more bad ***.

The only thing is they replace the whole engine with a LS7 with all the goodies including cnc'd heads and port matched intake, even a forged rotating assembly. which probably means that this is going to cost 2 arms and 1.5 legs. I would be interested to know if the turbo kit will mount up to a LS3 since the motors are pretty much dimentially the same.

What do you guys think.
Old 05-27-2009 | 03:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MelScrilla
I hope this isnt a repost but i recently saw this on another site i check.

Link: http://www.supercars.net/cars/4484.html

I saw the the thread about the Lingenfelter supercharged camaro but this twin turbo looks even more bad ***.

The only thing is they replace the whole engine with a LS7 with all the goodies including cnc'd heads and port matched intake, even a forged rotating assembly. which probably means that this is going to cost 2 arms and 1.5 legs. I would be interested to know if the turbo kit will mount up to a LS3 since the motors are pretty much dimentially the same.

What do you guys think.
I was under the impression it was a stronger block with larger diameter bolts on the heads.
So... I am left to wonder at what power level the LS7 block/heads are needed. No other reason to do that!

What are the limitations of the LS3 and how much more than their owners push them if they go for a SC ect?

Last edited by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed; 05-27-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-27-2009 | 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

The LS7 is not a boost friendly platform so IDK why they wouldn't just boost the LS3. That seems stupid to me.
Old 05-27-2009 | 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cole Train
The LS7 is not a boost friendly platform so IDK why they wouldn't just boost the LS3. That seems stupid to me.
I wonder if lingenfelter is saving themselves some money because they already offer this package for the z06. They must have these sitting around and figured they could charge high dollar to put them into a camaro.
Old 05-28-2009 | 12:47 AM
Launching!

i wouldnt care to much about it not being boost friendly. they do this to the z06 all the time and you have a 3yr warranty!! you cant beat that
Old 05-31-2009 | 07:21 AM
On The Tree

- Engine removal, disassembly and inspection
- Chevrolet LS7 7.0 L aluminum block
- Chevrolet LS7 aluminum heads
- Callies 4340 forged steel crankshaft - 4.000” stroke
- Lingenfelter CNC porting of LS7 cylinder heads
- Lingenfelter multi-angle valve job, cc, surfacing & assembly
- Stainless steel intake valves and heavy duty Inconnel exhaust valves
Questions:
1) Why would you need to dis-assemble the engine you took out if you are replacing it completely?
2) Why would you use a stainless intake valve when the LS7 heads come from GM with titanium intake valves

I would think A stock LS7 block (being 4 bolt configuration for one) would not be the best platform for an 800HP boosted engine that you are going to put a 3/36 warrantee on. That 800HP must be a flywheel number because LS7 blocks are prone to cracking the cylinder walls when you get over 600RWHP (not saying they all do, but this is a very common occurance) So if they are in fact trying to use up "take out" inventory, I hope it doesnt bite them, or worse, the customer.
Old 05-31-2009 | 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

it may just be me. but i think having that many cubes is really unnecessary for that application. a well built stock ci motor will make the same amount of power under f.i applications
Old 05-31-2009 | 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

damn thats crazy !!!!!!
Old 05-31-2009 | 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
it may just be me. but i think having that many cubes is really unnecessary for that application. a well built stock ci motor will make the same amount of power under f.i applications
LPE claims they can make more power, with less octane, with the larger cubes.
It makes sense.

Furthermore, I think power delivery is more linear with the larger cubes.
Old 05-31-2009 | 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

funny how people question the decisions of a company like LPE.
Old 05-31-2009 | 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by obrien24
First of all, it's a legitimate question.
Everyone who builds a forged motor questions if cubes are really necessary if guys are running 9's on little 347's.

As great of a company as LPE is, it's dangerous for people to not think for themselves.
If a company is legitimate (which LPE is), they will be happy to explain the logic behind their decisions (which LPE does).
No company or expert is above being questioned.
Not even LPE.
Old 05-31-2009 | 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tomsws6
i wouldnt care to much about it not being boost friendly. they do this to the z06 all the time and you have a 3yr warranty!! you cant beat that
I agree, with a warranty they must be confident in their work so if they back it up I would take it.

Originally Posted by Codefive
Questions:
1) Why would you need to dis-assemble the engine you took out if you are replacing it completely?
2) Why would you use a stainless intake valve when the LS7 heads come from GM with titanium intake valves

I would think A stock LS7 block (being 4 bolt configuration for one) would not be the best platform for an 800HP boosted engine that you are going to put a 3/36 warrantee on. That 800HP must be a flywheel number because LS7 blocks are prone to cracking the cylinder walls when you get over 600RWHP (not saying they all do, but this is a very common occurance) So if they are in fact trying to use up "take out" inventory, I hope it doesnt bite them, or worse, the customer.
I think the dis-assemble part cam from what they do to the LS7 not the LS3 but i'm guessing.
Old 05-31-2009 | 11:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by obrien24
Oh ok so you don't think LPE makes mistakes?

What about all the time and money they wasted on Ecotecs?
What real good came out of it in the end?

was that too bold?

mebbe so
Old 05-31-2009 | 11:59 PM
FormerVendor

I see alot of uneducated, "internet learned" opinions in here..... For those reading the above posts. Dont believe what you read on the internet especially on message boards.
Old 06-01-2009 | 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed

was that too bold?

mebbe so
And how many did they sell? Just because they spent time and money trying to do something with them doesn't mean it was a mistake. Perhaps they decided the reward wan't worth the time and effort.
Old 06-02-2009 | 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed

was that too bold?

mebbe so
I would say too bold. I think you are referencing the fact that John was killed driving his ecotec powered cavalier race car. If so, that is disrespectful to rub salt in the wound of his family and friends.
Old 06-09-2009 | 10:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Full-Force
I would say too bold. I think you are referencing the fact that John was killed driving his ecotec powered cavalier race car. If so, that is disrespectful to rub salt in the wound of his family and friends.
More in the fact that they didn't ever sell hardly any of the engines. LPE is a business first and R+D last.

Last time I was in their shop they had a couple laying around and I asked them how many they sell..... not many at all. By my definition that is a fail if your product doesn't really sell. I am just trying to say that LPE makes mistakes and re enforce the opinion that we SHOULD question what they do when we dont think its right.

If they didn't offer the engines for sale then I would of seen it as an R+D effort only.

The other way around would be too much of a dick thing to ssy. Plus if I remember right he was killed from the process of being put under and not directly the wreck. So it wasn't even the Ecotec's fault IMO. I am talking about LPE and not John.

I mostly meant that it made them no money and the car wasn't that impressive at least to me. I mean yea it was fast for what it was but was it worth all of the effort? All businesses make mistakes.

Last edited by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed; 06-09-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-14-2009 | 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

like the old saying goes, there is no replacement for displacement.
the ls7 is a better platform than the Ls3. The only reason people think that the LS7 is a bad platform for F/I is because stock, the LS7 has a high compression. If you knock the compression down on the Ls7 it will always outperform a LS3 with the same compression.

LPE has a shitload of money and can do what they want. If you are going to mod the hell out of one of these might as well do it right the first time.
Old 06-15-2009 | 06:32 AM
Launching!

I am also suprised they are using the LS7 block. The cylinder walls is too thin for a boosted application like that. I would have thought they would use a LSX block
Old 06-15-2009 | 09:23 PM
Launching!

isnt there a but load of aps twin turbo Zo6's running around with no probs running 10's?