Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

solid axle conversion ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009 | 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 406 Q-ship
With that thinking why doesn't Prostock, stock, and Superstock classes go to NO rear suspension just like the Top fuel and Funny Cars? There are vehicles out there that run at more than the drag strip and even those at the strip that do just fine on IRS. You don't like IRS and that is your choice. I have actually driven a 5th gen on the street and would never pull out the IRS because the handling is phenomenal and the world is not straight and a 1/4 mile long.
Muscle cars with irs =
Old 06-21-2009 | 09:02 AM
Collections Ban

Originally Posted by jamnut
That's why it's so easy to put a live axle under an 03/04 cobra.

The 1st 5th gen SS that ran at my local track sheared off one of it's axles the 1st night it ever ran at the track. I'm just hoping that this was just a case of bad luck & not bad engineering. I have a new SS on order, so I have reasons to worry, due to the fact that I like racing, but not street racing, so I want to have the strongest possible setup I can for straight line racing @ the track.
Do you have any pictures??? i would find that hard to believe ,the stock axles are plenty strog e nuff for the stock power,must have been something else to the story.Thanks for the heads up,we have camaro axles that will hold over a 1000 hp ready to go.
Old 06-21-2009 | 05:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TOSTO RACING
Muscle cars with irs =
Lol. That's how I feel, though I do like how an IRS car drives around town.
Another benefit would be the weight reduction from switching to a live axle.
Old 06-21-2009 | 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 427C5
Yes there is. It's because the live axle is cheaper for Ford to produce and the Mustang is a piece of ****.
There is NO reason to buy new Mustang over a Corvette or G8/Camaro.

EVERY sports car sold today runs a IRS.
FYI:There are manual trans Vipers running 7 second passes with IRS. So, the solid axle argument is BS.
So, by the reasoning you're pointing out here........1st to 4th gen F-bods are pieces of **** too? Because last time I checked, they didn't cease to exist the moment the 2010's rolled out. Funny how many guys suddenly became IRS fanboys the moment GM announced the new Camaro would have one.
Old 06-21-2009 | 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Y
Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering
Do you have any pictures??? i would find that hard to believe ,the stock axles are plenty strog e nuff for the stock power,must have been something else to the story.Thanks for the heads up,we have camaro axles that will hold over a 1000 hp ready to go.
How much are your axel kits, and what is included?
Old 06-22-2009 | 09:22 AM
Collections Ban

Originally Posted by thunderwagen
Y

How much are your axel kits, and what is included?
The axles replace your stock pieces 100% .You get 300 m outers, 300 m inners and 300m axle bars.List will be around $1999 but we will offer special discounts to the first few to get them on the street
Old 06-22-2009 | 10:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These 5th gen hate threads are getting retarded.
Old 06-22-2009 | 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
These 5th gen hate threads are getting retarded.
i'm with you, i can see if you are building just a drag car which isnt going to be driven anywhere else... but for an actual fast car you can make use of the irs very well...

to me it seems like its even more of a challange to be quick with the irs then to just ruin a car to shave a few tenths.
Old 06-23-2009 | 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

I TOLD you guys that the reason Ford avoided a IRS on the Mustang was to save money and that the Mustang is a piece of ****.
I had no idea that those cheap bastards were willing to do it for only $100 in savings. It ended up costing those dumb asses $98 more for the solid rear due to other issues.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/22/r...t-rear-suspen/
REPORT: S197 Ford Mustang could have had independent rear suspension for $100 per car
It seems that any discussion about a modern Ford Mustang inevitably turns into a debate about its solid rear axle. While Ford has done an incredible job of optimizing the pony car's suspension, many still find it unacceptable that such an antiquated technology is used on a modern day performance car. Motor Trend boss Angus MacKenzie, however, says that the S197 Mustang platform almost received an independent rear suspension a while back – and for a lot less than you might think.

According to MacKenzie, the 2005 Mustang was set to get an independent suspension shared with the BA-series Falcon sedan built in Australia. Even when it was decided that the two cars would use different platforms, Ford designers set about designing an independent suspension specific to the Mustang. So why did it still end up with a solid rear axle? According to MacKenzie, product development executive Phil Martens convinced Bill Ford Jr. that they could save $100 per car if they dropped the IRS and went with the solid axle. For all of you non drag-racing types that wish the Mustang had an independently suspended rear, this news probably makes you sick to the stomach.

But wait... there's more! MacKenzie's sources say that the cost of sorting out the current Mustang's suspension actually cost $98 more per car than the IRS that could have gone in the car. Like Angus, we love the current Mustang but have to wonder if it could have been that much better.
Ford performance is a joke and the mustang is a piece of ****.
Solid axels are for purpose built drag cars ONLY.
Old 06-23-2009 | 04:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
What do you consider a "real tire"? They can already fit a 315 wide no problem, and a 30" tall tire will also fit. Real enough? Far bigger than what a 4th gen can take stock.

Supras, Vipers, Corvettes seem to track just fine on IRS axles. I'd rather have a beefed up IRS setup than a solid axle, unless I was building a drag-only type car.
well... you cant really fit a set of 28" slicks on this rear end.

honestly, its the same thing with the cobras. with the weight and all, the cars just work better with SRA. and honestly, there really isnt any huge, noticable differance in handling. if i had a 2010, i'd rock a solid axle. simplicity ftw.
Old 06-23-2009 | 04:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
So, by the reasoning you're pointing out here........1st to 4th gen F-bods are pieces of **** too? Because last time I checked, they didn't cease to exist the moment the 2010's rolled out. Funny how many guys suddenly became IRS fanboys the moment GM announced the new Camaro would have one.
some people seem to already have sandy vaginas over the subject...

im going to go out on a limb and say... SRA>ALL! HAH.
Old 06-23-2009 | 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

some people seem to already have sandy vaginas over the subject...

LMAO. What's hilarious is that the OP was just wondering if anyone had done or was considering a SRA swap on their 5th gen.....and as such what options for such a mod currently exist. You'd swear, from the way some ppl have shoved the stick up their ***, that he had created this thread to soapbox about how the 5th gen should have had a SRA and everyone with one should convert their IRS over to one. Geez, if you're making the payments......it's your car........you should be able to do what you want with it without other ppl in your car community throwing a kindergarten fit over it. Next thing you know ppl will be saying it's no longer a Camaro if you take the IRS out of it. I mean, it's not like the Camaro ever rocked anything but an IRS in the past. You can swap in aftermarket and crate motors and trannies into a 5th gen all day long....just don't touch that rear axle. Such sacrilege...
Old 06-23-2009 | 10:12 AM
TECH Veteran

I will come out and say it.

Some people on this forum work at Mickey D's and some of us make over 60K a year.

Some people like driving an old piece of **** from 1993 and some of us like the newest technology.

Many of us got the F bodies when they were new and we are tired of them. We don't care how important you think your live axle is.
Old 06-23-2009 | 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LMAO. What's hilarious is that the OP was just wondering if anyone had done or was considering a SRA swap on their 5th gen.....and as such what options for such a mod currently exist. You'd swear, from the way some ppl have shoved the stick up their ***, that he had created this thread to soapbox about how the 5th gen should have had a SRA and everyone with one should convert their IRS over to one. Geez, if you're making the payments......(IT'S YOUR CAR)........you should be able to do what you want with it without other ppl in your car community throwing a kindergarten fit over it. Next thing you know ppl will be saying it's no longer a Camaro if you take the IRS out of it. I mean, it's not like the Camaro ever rocked anything but an IRS in the past. You can swap in aftermarket and crate motors and trannies into a 5th gen all day long....just don't touch that rear axle. Such sacrilege...
If I could have one now, and wanted to SRA it, paint it pink or what ever that's my choice cause like ThisBlood147 said, it's your car. I'm sure some people will to the swap but that's why were car guys and not all driving identical hybrids to work every day....the option to change and do differnt things. Also, Nickey Chevrolet has packages all the way up to 700+ hp with an upgraded IRS on the new Camaro.

-SS
Old 06-23-2009 | 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Many of us got the F bodies when they were new and we are tired of them. We don't care how important you think your live axle is.

Then what do you care if someone puts a live axle on a 5th gen? They aren't gonna come to your house and put one on YOUR 5th gen....are they? And conversely, the live axle guys don't care how important your IRS is to you....that's not what this thread was supposed to be about. I just find it funny that all the IRS fanbois came a-running when they saw the title of this thread. Guys like you are the only reason this topic has gone astray and turned into a flame war. Just because you don't want to put up with a live axle anymore doesn't mean that everyone else doesn't, or that they shouldn't be allowed to. Let the OP make his inquiries without you sticking your oh-so important 2 cents in on the subject.
Old 06-23-2009 | 10:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Then what do you care if someone puts a live axle on a 5th gen? They aren't gonna come to your house and put one on YOUR 5th gen....are they? And conversely, the live axle guys don't care how important your IRS is to you....that's not what this thread was supposed to be about. I just find it funny that all the IRS fanbois came a-running when they saw the title of this thread. Guys like you are the only reason this topic has gone astray and turned into a flame war. Just because you don't want to put up with a live axle anymore doesn't mean that everyone else doesn't, or that they shouldn't be allowed to. Let the OP make his inquiries without you sticking your oh-so important 2 cents in on the subject.
Come back when your post count is over 2000.
Old 06-23-2009 | 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Come back when your post count is over 2000.
Yes, because that makes a big difference on the subject. I'm so sure I'd understand things better (and see it your way) if I'd been on this site as long as you. Especially since I can't possibly learn or know anything more about cars unless I'm a longtime member of THIS site.......cause, you know.....other car sites (or realworld experience for that matter) just aren't where the true gearheads sow their oats.

But that's cool. I made my point....and you responded with a pointless comment.
Old 06-23-2009 | 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Vipers are running7's with IRS rears.
Ford kept the live axle because it is cheaper for them to produce.

Solid Axels ONLY make sense in 2 cases:
You want a cheap drag car.
-or-
You want a bulletproofdrag car.

If you want cheap drag car, you're going to go with a used F-body or Fox body.
If you are going to do a purpose built drag car and you want it to be bulletproof, you're going to go with a custom 9" rear and a LIGHT car.

The new Camaro is a pig from the factory. So, the only way it makes sense to build it with a solid rear is to order the "body in white" to build a trailered drag car.

Bottom Line:
Solid rear cars are for drags ONLY.

I don't know why this subject is so highly debated when it is so obviously simple.
Old 06-23-2009 | 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TOSTO RACING
Muscle cars with irs =

Camaro is a pony car.......Chevelle SS, GTO, GS455 are muscle cars.
Besides that is your opinion and everyone knows about opinions.
You have never put a muscle car on a road course......I have and its such a blast, so IRS and a Muscle car with IRS =

Old 06-23-2009 | 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 427C5

Bottom Line:
Solid rear cars are for drags ONLY.

So, just so we understand......all older cars with live axles should either be relegated to drag duty or they should be scrapped. Yes?

Look, I don't have anything against the new Camaro having IRS. Hell, I'm sure it's a much more stable, maneuverable car with the IRS than it would have been with a live axle. I just don't understand the dictatorship mentality that NO ONE should be doing a SRA conversion on a 5th gen. I, personally, probably wouldn't do it because of the fuss/costs....but I certainly don't see any need to talk down to someone who is considering it or is interested in it. As I said, it's their car. Maybe they intend to do alot of hardcore dragracing in the thing........maybe they want to shed some weight off the car......maybe they just want to. If someone were talking about putting a carbed crate motor in their 2010, no one would be bitching. But mention taking the IRS out, and everyone throws a pissy fit.

Quick Reply: solid axle conversion ?