Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

SAM Racing's 2010 2SS/RS Class Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

good to see SAM getting involved with a 5th gen.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant wait to start class next week on the 14th at sam .

Last edited by 02silverstang; 10-10-2009 at 01:24 AM. Reason: edit
Old 10-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DMSZ28
good stuff Mark. Will I be seeing you and the crew in Memphis?
Doesn't look like it at the moment. Too much work at the shop to leave.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats to SAM for their performance last weekend in memphis. Can't wait to see how the new car turns out.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DMSZ28
This will be the beginning of the Camaro’s transformation to a 7 second drag radial car.
Probably should've just bought a body in white then.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
Probably should've just bought a body in white then.
then you miss all the fun in between...their orange SS didn't start out running 8's all motor...
Old 10-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Launching!

The car showed up at my shop last night. It looks pretty sitting on my lift.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Banned

Sounds like fun. Happy you picked an Ohio builder. This country is full of qualified, engine, turbo, chassis, etc. etc. builders

Hopefully you'll return to Ohio and - Southern Michigan - for some great D/R racing. The Ohio Boys race in many monthly series. Two sort of close to your turbo builder, Cleveland. Norwalk ran a series last year. Milan also ran one. National Trail has a yearly King of Columbus. Turley won that last year. Turley and Brown have each won D/R titles at Milan. But it looks like - because of the rain - JR in a Mustang is going to win the D/R title in 2009.

You said this was your first venture into a turbo. I would think you would want the car close to the turbo builder. That should put you into Ohio for some racing next season. I look forward to seeing your car.

What are you going to do about the extra weight? 5th. gen being heavier than 4th. That's really a silly question. Mike Brown's car is heavy isn't it? 7:40 what did it run? Mark's, Ohio Boys, car runs a hyd. cam. So, I guess you can run anything - good luck see ya!
Old 10-25-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Texas has a lot of great turbo system and chassis builders as well, but Ron's been instrumental in the plan from the start and his work will be very original. What's fun about this project is the wide supply of companies and individuals that will have a hand in this historical build. Suppliers are being looked at for a number of components. Historically, SAM has sourced from the very good vendors with roots in the hard core, so those vendors will looked to for help again.

As for the weight, it's going to be tough to narrow it down. S.A.M. will be running in Hot Rod magazine's Pump gas drags. Also NMCA True street and various "drag radial" classes are being factored in. That means 3300 or 3500 variable lbs. They are looking for a supplier for a bolt in tubular front subframe. Seats will be replaced. Inner doors gutted. inner bumper supports replaced. Steering column replaced. AC removed. lighter brakes. airbags removed. Unnecessary underdash removed. sound deadening removed. They're looking for carbon hood and fenders and deck lid supplier. OE front glass and side glass. Finally, Hot Rod magazine readers want a car that resembles "their" cars...so hacking the car up will be minimal. The car will have to have an exhaust that comes past the doors without dumps. floorpan and firewall stock. engine location stock with motorplates. NHRA safety 25.5 cage. torque arm suspension. auto trans.

As for the engine, an ERL 6 bolt block will be used. The heads will have factory intake and exhaust flange locations-so All Pro LSW's are likely. K1 Crankshaft, Rods, and Wiseco Pistons. The intake is limited to a factory location piece, so a cast single 4150 location manifold will be utilized. Turbo system specs are being finalized between Ron and his builder this week. Twins would be sexy , but A single 106mm turbo is looking likely as it's going to fit within the rules of more classes and the the packaging will be better. Look for some innovative things here.

Last edited by briannutter; 10-27-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

The build sounds cool, whats the final et goals for the car. sounds like you should be seeing mid to low 8's though.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Magnet
then you miss all the fun in between...their orange SS didn't start out running 8's all motor...
Good point BUT when looking at it from a $$$ stand point it does not make much scence to buy a car off the dealer floor that in a few years will have very few parts that it started life with... but then again if you are a school or a shop and get killer deal's on a lot of stuff or free part's then I am sure it is a wash or does not matter so why not start with a regular car. For a school I think it would be better to start with a regular car and go up from there... Id rather do that as an instructor then get a striped down shell and say here build a car.... The body in white cars are not exactly cheap either sadly...

I like the 2010 Camaro but the back end is just to hidious for me to ever own one haha.

Anymore it seems like 8's on the street is not a big deal...... a 7 sec car that is still very streetable and is DRIVEN on the street would be cool to see.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd agree the body in white would be best for most 7 second builds, but much of this car will remain standard appearing. Also, think about the 69 original ZL1's or the Copo cars. Original 1400 mile engine, trans, rear end, clutch, wheels, tires, suspension sitting in storage. This car will have that kind of notoriety in 40 years...just wish Jud could have ordered it with dog dish hubcaps It's better this car started off as a streeter...just like the ones Hot Rod magazine readers drive.

As for times. Jud is used to going mid 8's in his orange car naturally aspirated...he'll need to be going a second faster right off the bat to embrace this "boost thing".

Quick Reply: SAM Racing's 2010 2SS/RS Class Project