Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

500rwhp 2010 SS For Less Than $4,000!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:07 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget that the KB would require the induction and exhaust as well to get the most performance out of it. There's a grand on top of the blower as well if you were still going with our exhaust components. You could spend more than that depending if you went with another brand.

Jon
Old 01-14-2010, 11:00 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,144 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by addicted2fun
4k for doing what he's talking about vs doing a KB for maybe a few extra K. KB is the answer buddy... i look at cost/benifit ratio. Obviously you dont...
In that case you would calculate the hp/$... So if a total H/C/I/pulley/exhaust/labor combo like this cost X, then you'd calc the same deal for a blower setup.

A) Let's say that this combo, at 500rwhp, installed and tuned, out the door was $6000.

B) Let's say that a blower setup, hit 575rwhp, installed and tuned, out the door for $8000.

Would it be silly for me to say that A = $12 per rwhp, vs $14 for B?

I don't think it's always that simple.

In fact the best bang for the buck would be a cam only setup, you'd get to 470-475rwhp most likely.

Blower setups are very cool, but when factor in the cost of the blower, the labor, and some of the work you'd need to do with the fuel system, I think I've seen stuff like this routinely quoted in the $8500. Oops, and you'd probably need to add headers to hit bigger numbers.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
Don't forget that the KB would require the induction and exhaust as well to get the most performance out of it. There's a grand on top of the blower as well if you were still going with our exhaust components. You could spend more than that depending if you went with another brand.

Jon
Not to mention that if you really want to get the MOST out of a KB or F/I you'll be installing lower compression forged pistons/forged rods/new rings/rod bolts/fuel system....etc

500RWHP for $4k is NOT expensive. Last time I checked LS1s were putting on massaged 243s, big cams, full boltons, & injectors and hitting 420-440RWHP if they were lucky.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:05 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

500RWHP for $4K in parts is pretty outstanding actually (given that the car in question starts out at 370rwhp or so).
Old 01-14-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chavez885
Wow you're dumb, stick to fords son.
Well you're a poo poo head.

Originally Posted by proporio
the op is talking about REAR wheel hp
No ****?
Old 01-14-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i think thats reasonable.

lets compare new cars to new cars and NA cars to NA cars as fair comparisons. so, what car for what a camaro costs will make 500rwhp NA?
Old 01-14-2010, 08:31 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

A used 2008 C6.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CoolAid
Not to mention that if you really want to get the MOST out of a KB or F/I you'll be installing lower compression forged pistons/forged rods/new rings/rod bolts/fuel system....etc

500RWHP for $4k is NOT expensive. Last time I checked LS1s were putting on massaged 243s, big cams, full boltons, & injectors and hitting 420-440RWHP if they were lucky.
Very true about the other upgrades that are needed to get the most out of it. But, point is, if you EVER go this route (with the bolt ons/cams/exhaust((which you could prolly keep) would have to be yanked for a blower cam. Just more crap you gotta take out to have something else put back in. In the long run, a blower setup is worth it.

I know i must have upset some of you GM guys (no intention to do it). I use to own a camaro for a long *** time. But, this is probably one of the more promising camaro's to do this with and I think we have seen the birth of a bad *** machine. You guys just need to take it down a notch with the insults. Were all racing fans here no need to throw dirt.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by addicted2fun
Very true about the other upgrades that are needed to get the most out of it. But, point is, if you EVER go this route (with the bolt ons/cams/exhaust((which you could prolly keep) would have to be yanked for a blower cam. Just more crap you gotta take out to have something else put back in. In the long run, a blower setup is worth it.
It depends on what you are going to do with the car. A blower setup brings a lot inherent problems and detrements for those who take their car to the track. Like I said before, it adds weight up front (and high) and it suffers from heat soak. Similarly, for those who live in very hot climates, a blower setup will experience heat soak on the road and rob power.

There are some good afermarket intercoolers out there, but they are expensive and only improve, but do not cure heat soak issues.

On the other hand, a blower setup cane make insane power, more than the LS3 can handle for that matter. If the "safe limit" of the rods and pistons in the LS3 is around 575rwhp?, then a blower doesn't give you too much more power than the heads/cam when you factor in the extra weight and the heat soak. Now if you are tearing down the engine and changing internals, that is a different story and you are talking big money.

What is the "safe limit" of the LS3 with a blower setup? Is it around 575rwhp or do we not really know yet? Surely some of those Corvette guys have experimented with this by now.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:27 AM
10 Second Club

I would half to guess its far more the 575 RWHP. Steel Chicken on the LS1GTO forum is making 655 RWHP through a STOCK LS1 (Which is Touched by GOD) on E85 w/ a Maggie 122H!!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think thats a lot of $$$ for 500rwhp taking into account into account it takes more to get that big *** car rollin....
Old 01-15-2010, 12:01 PM
FormerVendor

If you price the same components from other manufacturers you will see that price is actually pretty good. Remember this is a full stainless exhaust system, not a mild steel setup. I don't know when 500 RWHP was so terrible out of a heads/cam bolt on car either. I know the LS1 guys would kill for those kinds of numbers...
Old 01-15-2010, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats a fairly mild cam for the LS3 as well is it not? I could see picking up another 25 at the wheels with a bigger cam.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:25 PM
FormerVendor

That's about as aggressive as you can go on the LS3 motors without having to flycut pistons. Remember with the big intake valve you give up a lot of PTV compared to your standard LS1 cathedral headed motor. However, since that is the limit on the cam, the car drives extremely well.

Jon
Old 01-15-2010, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

If you price the same components from other manufacturers you will see that price is actually pretty good. Remember this is a full stainless exhaust system, not a mild steel setup. I don't know when 500 RWHP was so terrible out of a heads/cam bolt on car either. I know the LS1 guys would kill for those kinds of numbers...
LOL I would kill for it, my heads/cam bolt on LT1 only makes 360rwhp. I do all my own labor and have spent well over $4k in parts. I'm down to spend $4k to jump a car up 125rwhp, have it sound nasty, and still be able to say it's N/A with the stock bottom end.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Ha...I remember when 300 flywheel hp was amazing...My 09 vette is about to hit the 500 rwhp with heads cam and boltons @ near 6k...Quite amazing to me....
Old 01-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Launching!

This sounds like a pretty sweet deal for someone who is into NA setups (like myself). I like my odds with 500 true rwhp NA vs the same with a bolt on supercharger.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wish you guys could get that kinda power out of a ls6 for that price.

nice work.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's about as aggressive as you can go on the LS3 motors without having to flycut pistons. Remember with the big intake valve you give up a lot of PTV compared to your standard LS1 cathedral headed motor. However, since that is the limit on the cam, the car drives extremely well.

Jon

Ahhh yea, didnt think about that, good info though!!! I'd imagine its street manners are very good then
Old 01-20-2010, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Constructive criticism, i like it.

Originally Posted by Formula51
It depends on what you are going to do with the car. A blower setup brings a lot inherent problems and detrements for those who take their car to the track. Like I said before, it adds weight up front (and high) and it suffers from heat soak. Similarly, for those who live in very hot climates, a blower setup will experience heat soak on the road and rob power.

There are some good afermarket intercoolers out there, but they are expensive and only improve, but do not cure heat soak issues.

On the other hand, a blower setup cane make insane power, more than the LS3 can handle for that matter. If the "safe limit" of the rods and pistons in the LS3 is around 575rwhp?, then a blower doesn't give you too much more power than the heads/cam when you factor in the extra weight and the heat soak. Now if you are tearing down the engine and changing internals, that is a different story and you are talking big money.

What is the "safe limit" of the LS3 with a blower setup? Is it around 575rwhp or do we not really know yet? Surely some of those Corvette guys have experimented with this by now.

Quick Reply: 500rwhp 2010 SS For Less Than $4,000!!!