Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Which V8 for the new maro?
Current LS2
34.25%
Forged LS2 - at the cost of price
33.75%
Supercharged LS4 - $$ costly
20.58%
reworked LS4 - likely same $ as an LS2
11.42%
Voters: 797. You may not vote on this poll

2009 Camaro engine choices, rear end, and more?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007 | 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The American
I never said 5.3 wasnt a Lsx engine. It was meant, as in I dont want a 5.3 "under hood " type of close. Nor do I like the fact you insult someone when someone doesnt want a 5.3 in the car; so in turn I would be swayed to believe you are ignorant. I say, respect people's opinion on here. If you disagreed with their taste, STFU; you are not any more right than I am. And, oh, yeah....
I respect your opinion! That is not the case! I'm am just sick and tired of people ******* on the 5.3/6.0L like it is a frickin 305 or 307, when it is a very capable, modern, high-performance V8. It sure sounded like ignorance to me when you stated that you didn't want anything resembling a 5.3L in or near the new Camaro when it is pretty much guaranteed that a close relative will make it in anyway.

It's none of my business if YOU don't want a 5.3/6.0L underhood. That's fine, you can have the top, uber-expensive engine. It's perfectly normal for someone who doesn't have a clue to not want the 5.3L in the Camaro...

If you guys can clue me in on whatever is making you so adamant against a small V8, please, tell me now so I can at least try to understand where you're coming from, because the way I see it, ya'll are just looking stubborn!
Old 07-14-2007 | 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

You apear to be the one that is stubborn..you've been trying to ram this 5.3 engine BS down everyones throat for months..the consensus is that very few want the 5.3...you call everyone that doesn't agree with your point of view ignorant or some other disparaging remark...earth calling!!.. there are other opinions besides yours sir that carry just as much weight..you see we all have an opinion....
Old 07-14-2007 | 02:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tamatt27
How about the L76 6.0 that's in the G8 (362 hp @ 5700 RPM, 391 lb.-ft. @ 4400 RPM) for the 'base' V8?
If something below a LS3 or bigger engine was to be used, I can see L76 being used as a base V8. The aftermarket would shine on that engine with the displacement to work with. If GM could make it cost affective to do, it would seem smart. But, I think the LS3 prolly will be the engine lowest on the totum poll, I hope so. I thinking about a G8 after its out 2 years, so I can keep the mileage down on the 09 camaro; a DD that can still take care of business. lol.
Old 07-14-2007 | 04:43 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=The American] I think the LS3 prolly will be the engine lowest on the totum poll, I hope so.QUOTE]
Good Lord, how much power do you expect GM to give you? The LS3 has plenty of power in stock form before modifications. I wouldn't get my hopes up for much more...
Old 07-14-2007 | 08:29 PM
On The Tree

I think that if GM can't offer an LS3 camaro for the same money as a GT (26,000-29,000),
they better offer another base V8. Whether it be L76 or whatever other configurations they
may have by the time production starts. Everyone wants the biggest engine right now, but
honestly we have no idea what the cost is going to be. If I can't get one optioned pretty
basic with a 6-speed and a V8 for less than $30,000, I probably won't buy one.
Old 07-14-2007 | 09:38 PM
Teching In

^^^like above, we dont know the numbers. The challenger is going to prolly have no less than 400 hp out of its base V8; if they do phase out the 5.7 Hemi like i been hearing on some mopar boards. The mustang Gt is getting a face-lift and no less than 360 hp (hurricane 6.2, who knows). I hate to see the camaro fall behind. The industry standard is higher. I just wish GM would just announce the plan. Hell, the LS2 is still on the site for the camaro; which is going to phase out and mention on previous threads that its going to be a new motor (which was said prior to the release of LS3).
Old 07-14-2007 | 11:03 PM
Launching!

I dont think they will have alot of engine options. they will have a V6 and some kind of base V8.. Im sure it will be like the 4th gen with the v6 model, and z28 with the ls1 and the ss with the ls1 with a little extra hp. I dont see GM putting a different motor into the SS.... if they do put the LS3 in it then im sure its going to be something like Z28 with 400hp and the SS with 425hp or something along those lines.
Old 07-15-2007 | 01:57 AM
Teching In

This is from a previous thread; I like this, it LSjinx's idea here's the quote

[Quote]

Well, I like to have an LS7 or a S/C LS3; but i like to think on the realistic side and economical side.

-base V6 (if its GM, then they will use the cheapest, RWD compatable unit)

-LS3 for all V8 models
- Z28= suspension option
- SS= drag pack option (GMPP shifter, drag springs, tune)
- RS= appearance option on SS or base/stripper
- base/stripper= Basically a SS without drag pack option

[Quote]

Its simple. Basically, hints likeness from the past, such as z28 for handling, SS for the dragstrip, stripper model for someone looking to put better than GMPP in or just wants a V8 to have one. As for the RS, it was mostly appearance option and would be great to be a trim feature. Like the 4th gen, a LS3 as standard V8 could do a world of good and be affordable. But I would like to see a limited edition car along the line ZL-1 with a LS7 or whatever is going to replace it.
Old 07-15-2007 | 10:14 AM
On The Tree

The best thing GM could do to make sure they sell a lot of camaros is to offer plenty of
options. Give people plenty of choices, engine wise, interior, and exterior. Look back and
you'll see sales started dropping off when they went to only one V8 option. I honestly
think GM NEEDS to offer more than one V8 and even offer roll-up window and radio delete
along with an extreme duty package like the B4C's. The key is pricing. If someone wants
to check the box for a 340-350hp 5.3, let them but price it just above the V6. If you
want the big dog V8, check that box but it's gonna cost more. Make it like the old days
when you could have a six, 302, 307, 327, 350, 396 etc. I think this would make more
people happy than anything. The main thing is to make it where the car satisfies us
enthusiasts and people looking for a dependable car that just want the look.
Old 08-10-2007 | 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 91redchevy
Look back andyou'll see sales started dropping off when they went to only one V8 option. I honestly think GM NEEDS to offer more than one V8 and even offer roll-up window and radio delete along with an extreme duty package like the B4C's. The key is pricing. If someone wants
the look.
Several V8 options? What were gas prices the last time they had more than 1 V8 option? Our current and future situations look bleak for $1.30 gas anytime soon.

Radio delete? Right...
Old 08-11-2007 | 12:40 AM
10 Second Club

Don't know bout you but I aint buyinthis car for fuel economy. Yea lets face it gas prices are up but I still want the damn car.

If I'm gonna pay around 3 bux a gallon I wanna a friggin bad *** ls3 or ls7 under the hood.
Old 08-11-2007 | 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hc8719
Several V8 options? What were gas prices the last time they had more than 1 V8 option? Our current and future situations look bleak for $1.30 gas anytime soon.

Radio delete? Right...
Lessee 1992....A ha. Democrat in presidency so that automatically lowers gas prices to $1.00/gallon or so... Maybe we'll see another drop in gas prices when the next president is a little more mid-east friendly...

Besides, an LS3 is not an affordable engine guys. All aluminum construction and over 400hp automatically rules it out as an affordable V8 option. GM won't sell a 400+hp V8 for less than $30k, sorry.
Old 08-11-2007 | 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

ls3, strong factory IRS able to withstand atleast 550RWHP without breaking, and a stock A6 trans that is much stronger than the stock 4l60E would be great!
Old 09-04-2007 | 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
Lessee 1992....A ha. Democrat in presidency so that automatically lowers gas prices to $1.00/gallon or so... Maybe we'll see another drop in gas prices when the next president is a little more mid-east friendly...
Not to get into a politic debate, but Rebublicans ran the presidency from 1981-1993, oil was cheap then...
Old 09-04-2007 | 11:47 PM

the engine choices need to be as this. all of these small engine choices are not a smart idea. they need a basic v6 car. a mid range v8 like a 5.3 327 for a high reving z-28 what it was made for. then a supersport with the mighty 7.0 liter 427 425 horsepower. then chevy needs a limited production line of a base looking 6 cylinder with a zl1 option. no ac no power locks mirrors windows or anything. strip version with a carbuerated zl1 427 with no modern supercharger bullshit. just american muscle.this should be the lineup for the gm techs if they were halfway smart.
Old 09-05-2007 | 07:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

That would be nice in 1969 but it is not going to happen in 2009.
Old 09-05-2007 | 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rcmotorsports
then a supersport with the mighty 7.0 liter 427 425 horsepower. then chevy needs a limited production line of a base looking 6 cylinder with a zl1 option. no ac no power locks mirrors windows or anything. strip version with a carbuerated zl1 427 with no modern supercharger bullshit. just american muscle.this should be the lineup for the gm techs if they were halfway smart.
First of all, a 7.0 liter with only 425 HP? The 6.2 LS3 has 430 horses, (I'm usually pretty tolerant, but I'm tired of all these people who apparently don't know **** about the LS series, or about GM engines in general, and just start making their own up) So STFU.

And a stripped down car with no AC, powerwindows, locks, etc... get real. GM isn't going to lower the quality of their cars to make them affordable to 18 year olds. GM may do that for the Aveo or the Colorado, but not their nicer cars.

And finally theres nothing effing wrong with superchargers. They weren't all over in the '60's, but who gives a rats ***, this Camaro isn't suppose to be a 60's clone dumbass. Its cheap horsepower, and I like the sound of them. A good bit of people here have superchargers in their fbodys anyways
Old 09-06-2007 | 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hc8719
First of all, a 7.0 liter with only 425 HP? The 6.2 LS3 has 430 horses, (I'm usually pretty tolerant, but I'm tired of all these people who apparently don't know **** about the LS series, or about GM engines in general, and just start making their own up) So STFU.

And a stripped down car with no AC, powerwindows, locks, etc... get real. GM isn't going to lower the quality of their cars to make them affordable to 18 year olds. GM may do that for the Aveo or the Colorado, but not their nicer cars.

And finally theres nothing effing wrong with superchargers. They weren't all over in the '60's, but who gives a rats ***, this Camaro isn't suppose to be a 60's clone dumbass. Its cheap horsepower, and I like the sound of them. A good bit of people here have superchargers in their fbodys anyways

I hate it when people sugar coat it like that .. just tell us how you really feel and skip all the niceities...

PS You are correct though...
Old 09-09-2007 | 08:02 PM
On The Tree

the engine choices need to be as this. all of these small engine choices are not a smart idea. they need a basic v6 car. a mid range v8 like a 5.3 327 for a high reving z-28 what it was made for. then a supersport with the mighty 7.0 liter 427 425 horsepower. then chevy needs a limited production line of a base looking 6 cylinder with a zl1 option. no ac no power locks mirrors windows or anything. strip version with a carbuerated zl1 427 with no modern supercharger bullshit. just american muscle.this should be the lineup for the gm techs if they were halfway smart.
All I can say is thank god you aren't designing the new camaro...

But what do you guys think the chances of GM putting in some new DIG fuel injection 6.0L+ motor as an option? Seems like the way to go and some gm guy already said that a motor like that might be released with the camaro!

I'm betting some silly v6 that doesn't matter anyways, then maybe the L76 and the LS3!
Old 09-10-2007 | 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

Umm, no. The 5.3 barely outpowers some of the more powerful V6's today. And the LS3 already has more power than the 427 you mentioned.

Stripped down cars that cost over $20k don't sell these days, bub. They offered the ls1 cars w/out power windows, etc. and they barely sold at all. Ain't gonna happen.

Quick Reply: 2009 Camaro engine choices, rear end, and more?