Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion
View Poll Results: Which V8 for the new maro?
Current LS2
34.25%
Forged LS2 - at the cost of price
33.75%
Supercharged LS4 - $$ costly
20.58%
reworked LS4 - likely same $ as an LS2
11.42%
Voters: 797. You may not vote on this poll

2009 Camaro engine choices, rear end, and more?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005 | 06:17 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
i doubt the 6.2 and whats the 6.4? like its already been said, doubtful a variant of a vortec based motor will go into an fbod. Plus the LS7 will be reserved for vette/cadillac for a few years. Itll only find its way into an fbod as a mallet, ZL1, GMMG, ect type of special edition. GM wants that exclusiveness reserved for more prestigious vehicles. Plus why would they want to sell an fbod with an LS7 for $35K and then try and sell the nearly $70K ZO6. People would see 500hp in a much cheaper package. It was different when the LS1 was in the vettes because the price difference wasnt as dramatic.
Unless you build like 1000 "ZL1" Camaros a year (pretty exclusive) and then give the Z06 a bump up again to be @ the same power level (what 550?) of the Ford GT. They could do it, but they probably won't.
Old 11-18-2005 | 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JAvenger007

I think the ideal car would be one which has a weight advantage, a first for the camaro. Maybe a goal weight of 3250 lbs. Right in there with the EVO and hundreds less than a cobra. Then if GM introduced a forged LS2 to go into all the 07s (hardened pushrods, forged crank, just basic build over) they could leave the new camaro open for all sorts of upgrades.

lemme know what you think?

No way in the world it will be 3250, I would say 3600-3800lbs is more realistic.
I would say the 6 speed auto trans will be an option.
Engines, 3.9 v6, ls2. Don't look for 2 v8 options, it just will not happen.
Definitely IRS.

Don't look for the top Camaro to compete with the GT500, it will not happen.
Old 11-18-2005 | 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

why does everyone here want IRS? we all know the new fbody will be heavy due to new safety regulations and (hopefully) upgraded interior with more sound deadening. not only that but to compete with the new stang and upcoming challenger it will need more power as well. isn't IRS weaker then a good ol 12 bolt?
Old 11-18-2005 | 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
A couple of reasons actually. First off, the 3.6L makes 255hp in the CTS 3.6 STS V6 and the SRX V6. Secondly, it is a smoother engine than the 3.9L pushrod motor. And finally, DOHC sells. People are n00b and believe that no matter what, OHC engines are superior to Pushrod engines and therefore pushrod engines should be overlooked. Yes at high rpms pushrod motors do get a little rough when compared to an OHC engine but still. People have it set in their minds that OHC is better. To me, if you can tout that in the base model, you'll draw more n00bs who know nothing about the car just based on that fact alone. Believe it or not, it is in fact a strong selling point. If GM were to hit the exterior design on the head however, it wouldn't matter as much whether it was the 3.9L or the 3.6L under the hood.
Yeah, you tell an import buyer your product has an OHV engine and they'll run away thinking you just tried to sell them a Briggs & Stratton motor.
Old 11-18-2005 | 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lt1FBoDy209
while not many people know what it means almost every1 knows it means rice
Yes because the 4.2L Atals inline 6 is rice.

The fact of the matter is that everyone here is biased because they know what a pushrod motor is capable of. LS7 anyone? The thing is, when your average soccer mom who wants a convertible for the summer reads the anti anything cool consumer reports review, they'll talk about how the pushrod engine is harsh and why GM is using "old" technology. The only people who buy V6 Pony cars are posers anyway. It's easier to just say OHC and have them think they're getting an inherently smoother car than it is to actually take the time to explain the differences between the two. Over the years the big three have gained reputations for building cars that aren't up to snuff with those coming from overseas. I'd wager a guess that mags like consumer reports would also go on to mention in their review that "the Japanese and Germans have been using OHC engines for years, why can't Detroit do the same." Face it, most people have a bias against pushrod engines. And for good reason. For so many years we got **** pushrod V6s from Detroit throughout the 80s. Now people have it in their mind that all pushrod motors suck, even with engines like the LS4, LS2, LS7, Vortec V8 truck motors and the 5.7 and 6.1 Hemis around.
Old 11-18-2005 | 11:13 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by qwikz28
why does everyone here want IRS? we all know the new fbody will be heavy due to new safety regulations and (hopefully) upgraded interior with more sound deadening. not only that but to compete with the new stang and upcoming challenger it will need more power as well. isn't IRS weaker then a good ol 12 bolt?
It is, but it comes at the expense of weight, handling, and ride quality. Of course, the new stang has a solid live axle, and it's still selling, so, it's really a moot point.
Old 11-18-2005 | 11:13 AM
On The Tree

a 3.6L DOHC in the base camaro would also possibly attract an entire new market of buyers. big displacement guys could have their V8 setups, and if the styling is a hit you may see a good bit of 3.6L DOHC turbo camaros revving to 8000rpm's. I'd be tempted alone to do a 3.6L to be honest.

Much as some love big displacement motors, some also like high strung small/medium motors. The camaro could then have the option of either. I think it would be cool. (this is assumign the 3.6 is a capable motor. Something akin to fords 4.6 DOHC being DOHC just for the hell of it is a waste. I expect ls1 cfm like flowing heads on the 3.6, a good rod/stroke ratio, and at least 6800rpm stock redline?)
Old 11-18-2005 | 11:39 AM
Teching In

Well, don't worry, 3.6L is not gonna happen. 3.9L OHV is the base engine. Anything can happen before 2008, but that's the plan right now.
Old 11-18-2005 | 02:37 PM
Teching In

Notes: chances of an SS model making more than 400hp is almost none. Ford has pitted the 07 cobra inbetween the ZO6 and upcoming SS so that chevy cant out-do the vette in hp. So how does chevy answer to 450hp from the cobra?
How does Gm do it? Rate the engine @ 400Hp, when it actually makes
430-440. A good vehicle platform and good gearing will contend/beat the mustang with 450Hp. 10 Hp at this level of power is only a 2.27% difference. Differences in drivers alone would play a big factor. So, gearing, and what you had for breakfast will determine if the new 'camaro will waste the Cobra.

The other thing, is that by the time '08 rolls around, the Base Corvette could have 500 Hp, Z06 @ 575Hp . That leavesw the 'camaro free to roam in the 475 Hp area.

Just my 2 cents...

Oh Yeah, Last I heard, GM wasn't doin the 'camaro thing right now. Wasn't that news given last spring, yet more money into trucks?
Old 11-18-2005 | 03:51 PM
Teching In

Oh Yeah, Last I heard, GM wasn't doin the 'camaro thing right now. Wasn't that news given last spring, yet more money into trucks?
Yes and no. The original plans of a Chevy/Pontiac sport coupe (Something like the old Camaro/Firebird, although those names are not likely to be used) were based on the new Zeta arch. GM said they axed the Zeta arch in favor of bringing the new pickups/SUVs to market faster. Now they are looking to use a modified, existing platform, something like "Sigma-lite" instead. They still have plans for these sport coupes to be out around 2008 model year. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, that's the way I've understood what's been going on.
Old 11-18-2005 | 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

current word is that theyll reveal a concept in jan at NAIAS. I think IRS might happen as well, considering GMs move away from solid rear axles in their performance cars of late. I think its pretty much settled on 3.9VVT (possibly DOD) and a LS2 detuned to maybe 395hp (which we all know will just be a stock LS2 "advertised" at ONLY 395hp. History repeating itself cough cough.

Art_H i agree, the LS2 is underrated, hopefully the 5.4 from ford will only produce 450 at the flywheel like advertised. thats not the problem though. A pulley, CAI, and exhaust will make 475-500hp at the wheels for only about $1500. now granted the cobra will likely be over $10K more at that point but still, its the fact that a blown factory motor can support the power and make it fast and cheap. hopefully GM will provide the support mods from the factory.

An LS2 that can at least handle 600rwhp (stock internals), with stock IRS, and minor fuel upgrades and were set for likely a $5K blower package. Lets hope and pray for duals as well!

The other thing, is that by the time '08 rolls around, the Base Corvette could have 500 Hp, Z06 @ 575Hp . That leavesw the 'camaro free to roam in the 475 Hp area.
why would the base vette jump 100hp in just 2 years? the only way to make 500hp out of an LS2 would be to add a more aggressive cam and better heads, making the car less emission friendly, louder, and less fuel efficient. We might see a 25hp jump with a revised cam, CAI, and exhaust MAYBE. I love your thinking but im just not sure how theyd pull that off. I had the same exact thoughts, because that would leave the camaro open to anything between 400-500hp without invading the vette. Maybe a 6.2 variant of the vortec motor made to replace the LS2 in the stock vette? How would GM sqeeze more HP out of the LS7 though?

Keep the ideas coming. interesting brainstorming here...GM listen up
Old 11-18-2005 | 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

Well my guess is that the new Camaro will be much lighter than the cobra and will not need a blower or new reworked motor to compete. My guess is the 3.6L base with the LS4 as the Z engine and an LS2 for the SS since GM has spoken about two different V8s beeing offered in the past from what I remember. My bet is that the SS will not be available till second or third year and you will only be able to do a V6 or 5.3 at first.
Old 11-18-2005 | 06:01 PM
Banned

The LS2 would be best for the camaro the camaro has always been N/A I think they should keep it that way.
Old 11-18-2005 | 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The LS2 would be great, but anyone thinking the LS7 will be used in the Camaro is going ot be sorely disappointed I'd consider GM more likely to use in the Silverado SS than in the Camaro... and that's not very high on the possibility chart, but it'd be a Ram SRT-10 killa!
Old 11-19-2005 | 06:46 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

LS2 it will be.
Old 11-20-2005 | 03:22 AM
Staging Lane

motors:
I think the base camaro will match the base stang and the "Z28" will get an LS4ish motor and the "SS" will get an LS2ish motor

kinda hard to gauge HP with GM. Im sure the SS wont have more HP than a base vette, and if it does it will be close in price.

transmission:
I hear the 6L??E will be an option for the vette so don't think it will be in the camaro, the 5L??E out of the XLR may make it but I wouldn't be surprised it it got the good old 4L60E. and it will have a T56 for the manual

rearend:
think we'll get some thing out of the parts bin that already has disk. the 14 bolt wasn't made with disk brakes, plus its big so I don't think that will make it. I was thinking the rear out of the 1500 trucks but those cant handle the power of the LQ9(according to GM,hence the 14 bolt and rear drums on the 2wd SS) so whats left?
Old 11-20-2005 | 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know this is probably the least likely possiblility, but id love to see GM design a new true 350 cu in. motor to try and stay with what the camaro was for well over a decade. Just my hopes, but im guessing its going to be the 400hp LS-2 since the GTO will probably get another power boost before the camaro comes out, also i think they could possibly offer a 3rd trim between the SS and the Z28 kinda like how the SS was only like 10-20 hp more than the Z28 this one would be too and the SS could be around 450-475 hp. Only thing i think is being over looked here is that there is more than likely going to be an increase in power for both the GTO and vette so this would give the camaro more breathing room for added power.
Old 11-20-2005 | 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

I don't see why Chevy can't build a production-type LS7 (not hand built), for their limited cars, such as the SS. A good example is the Ford Lightning and the Ford GT, both with blown 5.4's, but big internal differences and cost savings. Maybe keep away from the exotic internals (i.e. magnesium rods), and still use the cubes. Put it in the 425-450hp range, and it wouldn't hurt the ZO6 market.
Old 11-20-2005 | 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by qwikz28
Because an IRS makes for an infinitely better ride and I'm tired of hearing that "thump" everytime I hit something in the road. An IRS is strong enough to handle plenty of HP for a street car and rids the car of some serious unsprung weight (Vette's are a good example). Then there is the obvious...not everyone drives in a straight line.
Old 11-20-2005 | 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02SS#406
I don't see why Chevy can't build a production-type LS7 (not hand built), for their limited cars, such as the SS. A good example is the Ford Lightning and the Ford GT, both with blown 5.4's, but big internal differences and cost savings. Maybe keep away from the exotic internals (i.e. magnesium rods), and still use the cubes. Put it in the 425-450hp range, and it wouldn't hurt the ZO6 market.
Magnesium RODS? I'm pretty sure you meant to say titanium.

Quick Reply: 2009 Camaro engine choices, rear end, and more?